The most erroneous articles currently on Wikipedia

I’ve had similar. Self-appointed page Nazis have driven me away from providing anything of value. Then again, for areas I know something about, the articles are broadly accurate at their scale of detail. So I don’t see Wiki as a disaster for lack of my participation.

One day everyone editing WP will be junk editors, who just monitor new edits waiting for something to revert, signing unsigned comments, filling articles with {{fact}}s, inserting useless banner boxes etc.

The only reason Wikipedia hasn’t collapsed under the weight of its own absurdity is that the people who vandalize articles with false information aren’t particularly smart. That and there are so many bullshit articles that actually finding mistakes in legitimate articles is like looking for a molecule of gold in a landfill.

If you went to President Obama’s article and put out there that he was caught molesting young boys, that would get flagged in a matter of minutes. But instead of picking a high profile figure, go pick an obscure Congressman from Minnesota who dies 80 years ago. Odds are the article is only a few lines long. Expand the article tenfold with real information. Reference the hell out of it with good sources. Then right in the middle of the article, write that Congressman Schmoe was fond of molesting children. I’ll bet you that it won’t get caught for months. 90% of the experienced editors are busy fighting over the meaning of the word “convicted” in Donte’s Stallworth’s article or whether or not some obscure pizza joint in Spokane is notable enough for an article.

For a while I thought that if you wiped about half the articles on Wikipedia and placed a moratorium on new articles, then editors could focus on actually improving the existing knowledge base. Then I realized that 90% of the morons out there would probably abandon the project because they can’t live without the drama.

The answer is that you will never know what the most erroneous article is because no one has cared enough to find it.