The Most Extreme Surgical Procedures

http://www.handtransplant.com/

That link indicates that the third successful hand transplant has now been completed at a hospital in Louisville, KY.

The Whipple procedure may be the most commonly performed radical surgery. It is performed on people with pancreatic cancer.

Only 1 in 5 will actually have the surgery after being opened up and in most cases the procedure is only life extending not a cure.

i had a hemicorporectomy in may of 2010.
For what i have found out there are only 18 of us alive. only about 120 reported done and only 26 to live with 18 of us left.
i started a site in march of 2010 and still try to keep it updated.
hemicorporectomy.org
Angel

Hm, going by mrAru’s home copy of CPT plus, the insurance code is
with orthoplasty - 27125

Maybe when performed by surgeons; it’s fairly commonly performed by magicians.

I’m amazed and thanks for the link. Welcome to the SDMB. Perhaps you could give us some details of your life in one of the other forums like MPSIMS.

My dad had that. It has so many things that can wrong, one usually does.

Extended his life by four months.

I remember seeing something many years ago on tv that showed a surgery that sounded something like the exteneration that was mentioned. In this case, however, the patient was at one point in the operation suspended above the table slightly, and turned on his side. One team of surgeons were behind him, one in front, and there was clearly a view through him.

Replacing a patient’s blood with Mountain Dew while skydiving is pretty eXtreme

I saw what you did there.

:smiley: