The most hated man in the Toronto area - you almost feel sorry for him

Does Saskatoon have enough rural white supremacist voters to attract Trump’s attention? If so, you might get a Great new interchange. Geography was never his strong suit and you just might slip this whole Canadian thing in under his radar. :smiley:

Not worth it. He’s not sharp on geography, but he’s aces at dodging bills. He’ll either send the bill to the Canadian government or he’ll declare bankruptcy.

Then you’ll have two people to hate; the drunk Ferrari crasher and the Great Welsher: DT hisself. I’m sure Mr. Ferrari will appreciate the distraction :slight_smile:

I’ve given it more thought and dropping them into the ocean in a sea container is not the appropriate means of dealing with them. Having them experience the grief of every single person they’ve hurt might do it, though.

There was an episode of ST-TNG in which a certain culture didn’t have capital punishment. What they did instead was implant the final memories and feelings of the murder victim in the mind of the killer. Then, once every fourteen hours, the killer would relive the pain and suffering of the victim. Most people implanted were said to kill themselves, saving the state the onus of, or guilt for, capital punishment.

Canada will beat Trump in the 2016 Presidential election.

Marco Muzzo granted bail after guilty plea in impaired-driving deaths of 3 children, grandfather

Wow. I assume that amount of money is nothing to his family?

A million here, a million there, soon you’re talking real money.

Crown and defence have made their submissions on sentence; Judge has reserved her decision to March 29.

Defence is asking for 8 years; Crown seeks 10 to 12 years in prison and that he be banned from driving for eight to 12 years.
The parents of the dead children walked out as soon as he began to speak:

Marco Muzzo offers tearful apology to grieving couple at sentencing hearing

The mom gave a powerful statement herself the day before:

‘You killed all my babies,’ grieving mother tells Marco Muzzo

Started a poll over in IMHO:

Friend pleads guilty to 4 counts of drunk driving causing death: do you write a reference letter?

Grossly inadequate.

I don’t agree. Check out these sentencing ranges, as suggested by MADD (an advocacy group for victims of drunk driving). Warning, PDF.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwip2PK--JrLAhUjroMKHZ-zBRoQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.madd.ca%2Fmedia%2Fdocs%2FMADD_Canada_Sentencing_Framework_FINAL.pdf&usg=AFQjCNED4TzO-927-ZTnh0XsUm3hDtHgMQ&bvm=bv.115339255,d.amc

8-12 years range, in the Canadian context, is very stiff. Remember that these things are relative to other sentences for other serious crimes.

Canadian sentences are typically shorter than those in the US across the board.

Muzzo got sentenced earlier this week. Judge split the difference and got 10 years, instead of the 8 the defence asked for, and the 12 that the Crown sought as the upper range.

Marco Muzzo sentenced to 10 years in prison for Vaughan crash that killed 4

The next question in the US would be: how long will he actually serve? Does parole and time for good behavior and so on work the same in Canada?

Pretty much. If he’s a model prisoner and the parole board is favourably inclined he’ll likely spend about 1/3 of his sentence in prison. He also gets credit for time already served. Obviously being out on parole is conditional on staying clean until the full 10 years is up. According to the linked story, his sentence also includes a 12-year driving ban that begins when he is released.

He’ll get credited for time served at 1.5 days for every day in custody prior to conviction.

Canadian law has automatic time off for good behaviour.

Good article that summarises it:

Reasonable Doubt: The Marco Muzzo case and an overview of sentencing in Canada

Should he should count his blessings that he’s not in America? If he were, would he not be liable to be sued?

An update: drunk driver pled guilty this week and got a ten year sentence:

‘Horrific and preventable:’ Drunk driver gets 10 years for crash that killed Van De Vorst family

An update from last summer that I just remembered (as a result of the thread aboutKarl Gauss, the OP of this thread).

SGI (the government insurance office which insures all drivers) has launched a legal action against the two bars which served the driver of the car. SGI’s position is that provincial law prohibits bars and bar staff from serving someone who is clearly impaired, and that the two bars breached that statutory obligation.

So, SGI has concluded that there’s more than one cause to this accident.

I’ve not heard anything about this law suit since the summer.
SGI suing bars that served impaired driver who killed Saskatoon family
Legal action 1st of its kind in Saskatchewan