The most "Important" album of 1968?

Two more to consider: Lady Soul by Aretha Franklin (“Chain of Fools,” “You Make Me Feel (Like a Natural Woman)”) and Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and the Holding Company (“Summertime,” “Piece of My Heart”).

Surrealistic Pillow came out in '67, but I will put a plug in for the Jefferson Airplane’s '68 offering Crown of Creation. It’s a terrific album that captures the dark tone that seemed to engulf life in that year.

Tell me about it. Laura Nyro did a week of shows every Xmas at the Bottom Line in the Village all through the ‘80s and ‘90s, so you never felt there was any hurry. Then BOOM, gone at 50, in 1998. I didn’t even start listening to her until about ten years ago.

Didn’t After Bathing at Baxter’s also come out in ‘68? Great cover art.

I had always thought that John Wesley Harding came out in 1968, but it was released the last week of 1967. Ignorance fought and defeated.

I came out in 1968. Which was pretty important, to me, at least.

Are you an album?

Not entirely sure, but I think “Baxter’s” came out in December of 1967, so it was still on the radar in early '68 but not technically eligible for this thread.

I like Big Pink, Eli and the 13th confession, Village Green Preservation Society, and The White Album. Big Pink had the most worldly impact.

Beggars Banquet and Astral Weeks have had too much woo spun about their reputations.

Do you have an album from 1968 that you associate with your coming out? (Mine’s “Out of Range” by Ani Difranco, but I didn’t come out 1992.)

Clapton has said many times that Music from Big Pink was a factor in his agreeing to end Cream as that was the type of music he wanted to play (at the time). He was sidetracked with Blind Faith, but later joined up with Delaney & Bonnie and Friends.

A few important records that weren’t really rock:

Lady Soul - Aretha FRankin
Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
In the Groove - Marvin Gaye (not all of it is great, but what is, is magical)

And my personal favorite, raw, real, protest blues from the delta via the streets of southside Chicago, A Man and His Blues - Buddy Guy

Same general idea but I would go more “The Second” from later in 1968. It repeated a lot of the same characteristics of the band but broadened it out and fleshed it out a little more. Yeah, only a serious fan or music freak is going to know much beyond “Magic Carpet Ride” and “Don’t Step on the Grass Sam” but you can see/learn a lot listening to the other tracks. Two of my personal favorites were always “Faster Than the Speed of Life” and “Lost and Found by Trial and Error”.

Gawd, I loved that song!

I wore my copy out. Loved it soooo much. I like New York Tendaberry, too, but Eli was my fav.

Heh, I have a neighbor who has a dog named Eli, and I always start singing Eli in my head…Eli’s coming. Hide your heart, girl…

Yeah, I bought that LP when it came out and played it to death, along with Disraeli Gears, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Big Brother, and most of the others mentioned in this thread.