The Most Redone T.V. Show.

Dammit! I swear that I looked, but didn’t see yours.

So, no, I guess it’s not on.

Ah, I’m not mad. You provided detail that I left out of my post. I don’t mind when people expand on what I said. People probably learned more from your post.

What you call Classic Match game was renamed every year: In other words it was Match Game '73 etc. maybe until '79.

I think you can separate the 1970s syndicated (weekly) Hollywood Squares from the later, daily one (which was more of a tournament format).

Also, the NBC Saturday morning one was called The Storybook Squares, presumably because everybody was in character.

If you’re counting 1970s syndicated Jeopardy and Hollywood Squares separate from NBC, then you need to count Match Game PM as well.

“ABC Password” is actually three different shows; Password, then (after a break) Password All-Stars, then a return to Password (using the All-Stars format, but with non-celebrity players).

There were (at least) two different Bud Collyer versions; a weekly nighttime one, and a daily CBS daytime one that ran through the late 1960s.

There have also been eight versions of The Price is Right that I can think of:
NBC daytime, 1956-63
NBC primetime, pretty much the same period as the daytime version
ABC daytime, 1963-65
ABC primetime
CBS daytime, 1972-present
Syndicated weekly (first with Dennis James, then Bob Barker), 1972-1980
Syndicated weekly (with Tom Kennedy), 1985-86
The New Price is Right, with Doug Davidson, 1994

There have been four versions of I’ve Got a Secret that I can think of:
CBS (Garry Moore, then Steve Allen)
Syndicated (Steve Allen)
CBS (four weeks in primetime, hosted by Bill Cullen)
Oxygen

There have also been four of Beat the Clock:
NBC? (Bud Collyer, 1950s)
Syndicated (late 1960s; Jack Narz, Gene Wood)
CBS daytime (Monty Hall, 1979-80)
PAX (2002-03)

One could argue for “Adam-12” being included as well. Same format with uniformed officers and Webb had a hand in its creation; IMDb says it spun off from the '67 edition, in fact.

Wasn’t there a distaff version of Odd Couple with (maybe) Sally Struthers and (maybe) Rita Moreno? Or was that a road company show? Or very bad booze?

(Everybody sing)

Yes, we’re talking 'bout The Odd-ball Couple
They’re a couple, yes, a couple of odd-balls
Foul balls
Eight balls

It was a stage play recast by Neil Simon. It never came to television, so I didn’t mention it.

I remember that one. Arte Johnson played his Tyrone F. Horneigh character from Laugh-In, but since it was Saturday morning, they called him the Nice Old Man.

snaps her fingers I meant to include Match Game PM and Storybook Squares…I got caught up in how the post took much more longer to concoct than I thought it would that I forgot those two. Initially thought of just a couple of shows, and then it immediately mushroomed into more…'cause I’m a game show nerdette like that. :smiley: Also, I wondered about ABC Password having different versions as well…so a most kind thank you for that ‘learn something new’ for today. :slight_smile:

How do we count NBC’s late night offering?

Broadway Open House with Jerry Lester
Tonight with Steve Allen
Tonight! America After Dark with Jack Lescoulie (a show so bad NBC simply refuses to acknowledge its existence)
Tonight with Jack Paar
The Tonight Show starring no one (a six month stretch while they waited for Johnny Carson’s ABC contract to end)
The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson
The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (part 1)
The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien (again, they hope we forgot this)
The Tonight Show starring Jay Leno (part 2)
The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon

That’s ten different versions, and every one of them changes out the host, the on-camera staff, the music and the producers/writers.

Hell, how would you count NBC’s Saturday Night/Saturday Night Live?

I would count it as just one show since Howard Cosell had a variety show on ABC at the time called Saturday Night Live. That’s why NBC’s show was introduced as “Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!” Once Cosell’s show was canceled, the NBC show had no problem calling itself Saturday Night Live. They didn’t change the show, just the name. It’s been one continuous show for all of its broadcast history.

Lucy Show, Here’s Lucy, and Life With Lucy aren’t redoes of I Love Lucy any more than Newhart was a redo of the Bob Newhart Show. Or The Cosby Show was a redo of the Bill Cosby Show or Cosby was a redo of either of those.

But there was The Lucy/Desi Comedy Hour which had what was essentially hour long I Love Lucy episodes (sometimes called We Love Lucy in syndicated/home video releases).

It was also a matinee serial and a radio show.

There have been dozens of shows about mismatched roommates that owe a debt to The Odd Couple. They sometimes reach pretty far for the “how the got together” premise, but everything from Mork & Mindy to 2 Broke Girls has been a variation on this theme. Actually, if there was a fairly straight-up distaff version, it was probably* Laverne and Shirley*. Wasn’t that show created by Garry Marshall, who also did* The Odd Couple*?

I’ll be a curmudgeon. Acknowledged or not, I’ve seen some version of The Honeymooners on TV pretty much constantly since 1968.

I think this is a really good point. There have been many instances of “The Match Game”, but it’s still the same game, ongoing since the inception. Each episode is no different from season 1 as it is from season 23 - and if you think it is, then you need to say that every season of “Survivor” is a different iteration. To that point, RealityChuck’s nomination of Sherlock Holmes could possibly include shows like “House” and “Psyche” could be added.

You mean “The Oddball Couple” with Spiffy the cat as Felix and Fleabag the dog as Oscar?

Actually, before that. There were so many similarities between the Flintstones and the Honeymooners that when the former premiered in 1960, Jackie Gleason considered suing Hanna-Barbera for infringing on his copyright.

Me, too.

Why weren’t you singing (post #26)?