The movies with the best interiors

Gosh. Great thread idea ! In no particular order:

** Dangerous Liasons**. Incredible use of priceless locations.

Picnic At Hanging Rock. The exteriors are the movie. They are the threat, the loss and the death- all around us and utterly unexplained. Similarly, Walkabout made mesmerizing use of the Aussie outback.

** Amadeus**. Patrizia Von Brandenstein. Need we say more ?? Each interior and exterior reeked of authenticity. Yes, these were sweaty dirty smelly hard-working real people beneath their wigs and manners. Brilliant beautiful work.

A Clockwork Orange. Sad to say, but every choice heightened the needs of the scene. The idea of staging that disgustingly horrible near-rape in a very wide shot in that abandoned huge theatre was just… perfect. A nightmare made very real.

Jaws. That three-story set for Quint? Great stuff, and of course the Orca was an excellent set piece.

Cartooniverse

Loved the old mansion in the otherwise forgettable movie The Haunting.

And, of course, Serenity.

This is something I love about the early Spielberg movies. He really captures that feeling of a lived-in, suburban house with a lot of kids – people yelling over the TV, piles of laundry all over the place, toys to trip on. Look at the scene in “Close Encounters” where Richard Dreyfuss wakes up his family and the kids are sprawled in their beds in messy rooms – it just rings so true (well, at least to me it does!). It’s so refreshing to see compared to the clean, stylized homes you see in so many movies.

Sleepy Hollow. I thought every scene in this movie looked like a gothic painting.

Giant. The way the decor in the great room changed from decade to decade clearly depicted the passage of time before you saw a single character.