The New Dungeons and Dragons Movie Might Actually be Good? {NO SPOILERS until May 2023}

The trailer is promising. Basically a Fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy.

Hmm. Cautiously optimistic. But very cautiously.

Effects look cool, but (from the trailer) the acting and writing seem pretty flat.

If the former outweighs the latter, it’ll be a decent popcorn flick. I’m not holding out hope.

Looks like something I’d watch.

I had low expectations, but Chris Pine is pretty reliable, and the effects look great. They’re also clearly trying to show some D&D cred, through showing off a bunch of iconic D&D monsters in the trailer.

Pfft, that druid is wildshaping into an owlbear. Druids can only assume the forms of beasts, and owlbears are monstrosities!

I was thinking it looks like a cut-rate Thor: Ragnarok complete with a Led Zeppelin selection of which the lyrics doesn’t actually match any of the plot or action, and the Lesser Chris. There are a bunch of ‘Easter Eggs’ that are clearly intended to appeal to actual AD&D enthusiasts, so at least they made the effort to use more than just the name, but it looks like a pretty generic fantasy action film trying to ape the MCU-style quiptastic dialogue that Marvel has actually mostly given up on.

Pass until it is free on Amazon Prime.

Stranger

First I hear of this, looks cool. I was wondering why Hasbro suddenly had a gelatinous cube for sale on their online store.

Well, this looks way better than I expected, and they obviously decided to spend some money. Also, the black dragon spitting acid, the displacer beast, the gelatinous cube, an awesome owlbear…wonderful.

Then what does that make this?

A decent popcorn flick is the best I think we can hope for which I think is perfectly fine. Seeing an owlbear in action is worth the price of admission!

I’m sorry your DM is such a rules stickler that they won’t let your character turn into an owlbear! Dollars to doughnuts we’ll see a druid ability in the future allowing them to turn into owlbears.

Looks like a definite maybe.

Points in its favor: it’s from the guys who made Game Night, the best-written and best-directed American studio comedy of the last several years.

That fact all by itself makes this worth paying attention to, at the very least.

Great to see the Owlbear, Mimic and Displacer Beast, but I have to agree, the acting/writing seemed flat. I’ll gladly watch it when it hits one of my streamers though.

I agree the rules say Druids can only shapechange into animals, but I’m willing to let the Owlbear go.
Also it’s an unusual party that has a Paladin, a Druid and a Thief in it!

I do hope it’s worth watching (I’ve been waiting about 40 years for a good D+D film…)

In 5e it is more common.

It’s 5e so it should be a bright pink Tiefling, a cat-girl, a bodybuilder kobold and a homebrewed weredragon.

The movie looks like it might be fun. It’s self-aware which is a good thing for this. You can make grim fantasy but I think a movie trying to play to classic D&D tropes and references needs to lean into the silliness a bit.

Oh, you’ve met my kids.

And there you go, the Druid is a home grown monstrous subclass.

Don’t forget about the 8’ tall, size small, dwarf.