The Omnibus Good News Thread

Overtime is rare for us in the winter when work is slow. I don’t need it to make ends meet, but money is one of those funny things were more is almost always better. Unlike pizza.

Anyhow, today I got my first overtime of the month. Just one day’s worth, but still good. The drinks are on me tonight folks!

I started collecting Social Security, yet I’m still working. My husband is in the same boat, having started collecting a year or so ago, and he’s still working. So we’re socking it all away against retirement. And interest rates are up, so iBonds, CDs and money market funds are actually profitable places to stash money again, so we’re doing that.

I hope you understand that IF you are below your full retirement age “FRA” (currently 66 years some months) AND you earn very much money, THEN for every $2 you earn in wages, SS will deduct $1 from your benefits.

You’ll eventually get those dollars back in 8 or 12 years if you live long enough. But with no interest and no compensation for inflation.

I’m hoping you’re both old enough to be past this bad deal feature of SS. But if not it would be a rude surprise.

Yep, I’m aware of that. We’re both oldsters, over the full retirement age. I waited until I was 66.4 months on the dot before I started taking benefits.

Yaay!

Today I booked my first international trip since before the pandemic. I’m going to Ireland this July! As an added bonus since I’ll be there over July 4, that’s one less vacation day I have to use, and I won’t be here when my idiot neighbors are setting off fireworks all hours of the night. And I decided to splurge on Premium Economy seats for the transatlantic flights (or “World Traveler Plus” in British Airways parlance).

Whoo-hoo!

Just a simple glass of champagne, please.

We’d been keeping it safe and simple - you can get to France by (spacious) ferry, so we’ve done that a few times. But earlier this month we took the plunge and got on a plane for the first time for more than three years - Athens! We’ve already booked the next (Barcelona) and we’re working on Turkey. France (again) we can just fall into. God, what a relief! - it feels like we’re properly alive again.

(NB: oddly, the last of the (major) crowded plane fear went away in the first few days of January when, after four vaccinations, we both caught COVID - and were not far off asymptomatic. Makes you feel oddly fireproof.)

j

ETA - god, I’ve completely lost track - should that be “the first time for more than two years”?

My wife is gong to win a prize tonight, and she doesn’t know it yet.

It’s a “people’s choice” for best piece in a juried an art show. She’s had bigger professional honors over her career, but I’m calling this good news. She is not expecting it. So, we’ll see how she handles the surprise.

My TVs working again! Whoo-hoo!:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Today I got pulled over for running a stop sign and going too fast on a college campus. I could not find my insurance card, my app wasn’t updated, I couldn’t prove insurance coverage… and I still got off with a warning.

Please update…

White skin + gray hair privilege has its privileges. Good on ya’.

I was giving serious thought to putting this in my Tales of White Privilege thread, but it’s five years old and this story wasn’t enough to bump it.

She did win. She was surprised and happy. It’s tough to put your art out there to be judged. It’s nice to get validated now and then.

In my twenties I once got pulled over 3 times in 2 days in 2 different vehicles and 2 different states by both state and town police, and didn’t even get an official warning from any of them.

I think it helped that none were moving violations.

I have a neighborhood newsletter (100+ people so pretty small) that I crank out every 4 months. It’s kinda fun and mostly a pain and annoying bc I basically re-learn a lot of Word stuff every time and people resubmit and have “suggestions” for days after my established deadline . This time, it all just clicked into place, which was a pleasant surprise.

And congrats to everyone’s good news! This is a great idea for a thread.

This isn’t good news exactly, but it might make you smile. And this thread needs a bump!

JFK looks like Tom Cruise. I can’t decide who Biden looks like….