"The One"

Conservatives secretly want to hook up with Obama in an airport restroom.

There were some people (including some on this board) who had a messianic feeling for Obama (and may still have). However most people who supported Obama did so for rational reasons and with full awareness he was a fallible human being.

The reason Obama’s opponents like to talk about “The One” is because it’s a useful fiction for denying there are real reasons to support Obama. They just claim that anyone who votes for him is irrationally subject to his charisma and that they, the rational ones, see through it to the truth.

In some cases, this is just people saying what they’re got to say - they have to come up with some explanation for Obama’s popularity that doesn’t concede there’s a basis for it. And in other cases, it’s reflective of the people making the claim - they vote for irrational reasons so they assume everyone else does as well.

You know which Presidential candidate’s campaign organization repeatedly claimed he was “the one”?

Richard Nixon.

No, really!

"Nixon’s the One" was his offical campaign slogan back in 1968. We Youth for Nixon volunteers (yes, ‘we,’ I was in the Youth for Nixon back in the day) were even given this song to sing:

Nixon’s the one, Nixon’s the one,
Nixon’s the one for me.
We believe in Nixon, N-I-X-O-N,
Nixon’s the one for me.

So there you have it: in Presidential politics, “The One” was the GOP’s own future felon, Tricky Dick.

For me, it was pretty much that. I bit of good-natured mockery, nothing more complex.
I dropped it a long time ago.

…and of course that he is the muslim-Kenyan-commie antichrist.

That’s nothing compared to a Democratic congressman who wrote and sang “Still the One.”

:wink:

I used to live in NY’s 19th district. Then I moved to NY’s 26th district. For some reason my congressmen can’t keep their shirts on.

Seems to be a general problem with New York congressmen, innit?

Fortunately the ones in really terrible shape know to keep their shirts on.

The horror

The horror

Leave poor Congressman Nadler alone.

Jesus. If I had known about that I might not have voted for Obama. Yes, we Dems really are that cranky and self-destructive, but just LOOK at it. <pukey smilie>

I think Kutcher was just setting up Kal Penn.

“Well, Obama was elected and I did like we promised. I’ve signed up to serve in the Obama administration.”
“We were just messing with you, dude. Demi and I aren’t giving up our sweet jobs in Hollywood.”
“What? But I quit my job on House.”
“Seriously? You quit a job in a top-rating television series to be an associate director of public engagement?”
“Oh God, what have I done? They killed my character…”
“You just got punk’d!”

Sure were, and the OP knows it too. :dubious: We were even treated to a post stating a desire to fellate him. And, of course, we had the flip side of that messianism - excoriation of anyone who suggested that he might not be the strongest candidate or the most effective and progressive President from among the Democratic candidates. And I’m sure the OP remembers *that *part, too.

Or to point out that embracing a cult of personality, a phenomenon which as you just pointed out does exist, is not acting as responsibly as a citizen must. That problem does exist for progressives as well as for regressives.

Oh, give it up, man. She lost fair and square.

I said it was true for some people. But it certainly was not the reason why most of the people who voted for Obama did so.

When did I ever say she didn’t? :dubious:

Thanks, btw, for providing a fine example of the very problem we’re discussing - that of ascribing the motives of anyone who thinks another candidate might be better to being simply mindless emotionalism. As well as, of course, for pointing out that you do, in fact, remember, despite your assertion of innocence in the OP. :dubious:

You did state it in a blanketish sort of way, you know.

You’d think the R team would give up on that meme, after it lost them a battle of wits against Paris Hilton. :confused:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/64ad536a6d/paris-hilton-responds-to-mccain-ad-from-paris-hilton-adam-ghost-panther-mckay-and-chris-henchy

A group that lost a battle of wits with Paris Hilton should commit mass suicide, as a favor to the continued evolution of the human race.

Oh, that’s right - those clowns don’t believe in evolution. Never mind. :smiley:

Really?
You can’t recall any instances of people speaking of Obama like a god-like figure?

Or media depictions of him as such?
You can’t think of any embarassingly obsequious news coverage?

You wouldn’t find this a subject of mockery were people teaching children to sing songs about George Bush?

Not sure I can help, then.

None of that counts. Because it’s different.

Regards,
Shodan