[QUOTE=Bryan Ekers]
If you are supposed to do Y, it’s implied you have a duty to do Y.
Thus, failure makes you derelict of Y. Various online dictionaries support me on this, though I don’t expect the phrasing is that common. More likely, I expect, is the longer and somewhat redundant “you are derelict in your duty to do Y”.
[/QUOTE]
Please take (re-)discussions of the distinction between civil and criminal burdens of proof and the social policy implications thereof to another thread, which probably belongs in another forum.
Here are a some threads and staff reports that cover the issue:
Constant in effort to accomplish something; attentive and persistent in doiong anything: a diligent student;
done or pusued with perservering attention; painstaking: a diligent search of the files.
Diligent is either a conclusion about the person who does Y, generally (he did Y because he’s diligent) or a description of how the person did Y.
Diligence is a duty sometimes imposed or presumed by the law: “due diligence,” “exercise reasonable diligence,” etc. Hogan Lovells Cadwalader – A Leading Global Law Firm and perhaps in the context where the rule requires diligence, compliance with the rule could be described as diligence.
Gimme a break, willya, I’m trying to rebound.
If you have a duty and you fulfill that duty, perhaps you are assiduous. I can’t find a term that refers to the performance of a specific duty, though, just more adjectives for people who fulfill all their duties generally.