The origins of conventions in comics/animation

Surely you mean Lana Lang? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

He said she was foreign, didn’t he?

“foreign or stupid or very young”

Yes. My autocorrect likes to post what it thinks I should type instead of what I actually type.

Foreign. She was from LanaLand.

That whoosh you hear is probably just Superboy taking off.

That’s just the Superboy authors’ rather lame attempt at writing a semblance of baby-talk. It’s the same attempt at baby-talk they wrote for Bizarro.

This is called the “rolling shutter effect” and is the reason pictures of fast-moving objects get very strangely distorted. Here is a video that explains it in detail, complete with lots of examples and slow-motion simulations:

(Search YouTube for “rolling shutter” to find many more similar videos.)

ETA: There’s even an example of the “slanted forward” case: Video of a fence alongside the road taken from a moving car: The vertical fence posts become slanted.

Yes, I know that is what they were attempting. But they did it very poorly. And as I mentioned, it was widely used in various media. Pay attention to how Tonto talks in old The Lone Ranger episodes—he uses fluid speech and clumsy mistakes in the same sentences.

I think I liked Matt Parker’s video on it better.

If you can’t afford to buy that book, Walker discusses several of the more important ones in his book Backstage at the Strips