The Roads To Being Published

I’d say you’re a writer. Being a “writer” doesn’t make you a good one, or a bad one. Just a “writer.”

By the way…there are LOTS and LOTS of paid, published “writers” who aren’t worth a hill of beans in the eyes of “real” writers (and by “real”, I mean those who are truly respected in the literary world). There’s more crap out there than can be imagined. Just take a look at the “Best Seller” list!!! I suppose by some standards, these people are considered writers. But by others, they’re nothing more than highly paid, immensely popular, hacks.

Or truly respected in their particular field, technical or otherwise. Didn’t mean to diss anyone.

Thanks. That makes sense. :slight_smile:

Comparing this to art (since I do self-identify as an artist), I know that if I see someone who has done a whole lot of great artwork, it wouldn’t matter to me whether they’d ever been in an art gallery or published their artwork or ever sold a thing. If they can produce good artwork (in my estimation), then as far as I’m concerned, they’re an artist. Much more than the appalling Thomas Kinkaide hacks out there.

So how does this translate over to the writing world? Can a person who writes wonderful manuscripts (that are universally praised by anyone who reads them) a “writer,” even though they are not yet published?

Absolutely! You have to write it before you’re published. All the great books of your life had to be written before anyone decided they were worth being published (anyone beside the WRITER, that is!). Experience and the New York Times will tell whether or not you’ve got the “write” stuff.

Well, that was intended as a joke on my part and I’m certain I put a smiley after it. I’m sorry I gave you the impression I was serious about it.

No more than when I use any other quote in my sig (I do change them). I don’t claim authorship any more than I would if my quote were “The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon. The vessel with the pestle is the brew that is true” (which I have used). I’d think the quote marks would be an indication I was quoting someone.

Exactly. I don’t know if you write well or not. And, for that matter, neither do you. You may be a great writer, but unless someone chooses to publish you, no one will ever know, including you.

My main point is that there is a major difference between someone who writes to please themselves and those who write to be published. (And it’s not just the money – there are writers who work in the small press world and earn nothing, but do get published.) You may like to write, but until you’re published (and it really isn’t all that impossible), you’re at a different level.

There is nothing wrong with that; everyone starts that way. And I urge everyone who writes to do everything in their power to get published. Because if you think it’s great when your friends tell you they love what you’ve written, that’s nothing compared to the feeling when someone accepts your manuscript. I want every would-be writer to be able to experience that. The great thing of my quote is that anyone can reach publication if they work hard enough (I’m a firm believer in Heinlein’s five rules).

My goal whenever anyone asks me writing advice is to find ways for anyone who wants to be a published writer to achieve that dream and avoid being ripped off on the way…

And why should my opinion matter to you? If you think you’re a writer, then think so.

But you’re still operating at a different level. Getting published – even in a small press magazine that pays in copies – is a big milestone. I sincerely hope you achieve it.

BTW, one reason I like the quote is that all too many people who like to write are afraid to try to get published. I’m trying to get them to forget about their fear of rejection and go for it.

Sure – if they’re actually making money from self-publishing (Yog’s Law: Money flows toward the writer), then the audience calls them a writer. This is rare, but it does happen from time to time.