The Series of Unfortunate Events Movie

Indeed you may; please feel free to do so.

Well, the NY Times really let Jim Carrey have it with both barrels:

“Mr. Carrey’s loud, showboating performance is the worst offender in this regard. Although he’s always smothered under an impasto of special-effects makeup and assumes a number of disguises, there’s no mistaking his shtick or avoiding the look-at-me selfishness of his delivery. Both Mr. Aiken and Ms. Browning are exceptionally appealing young performers, but it’s a wonder they didn’t request oxygen masks after being forced into such close proximity with so much ham.”

Ouch!

He does wear them when he reads. Why they did it this way, I don’t know.

Okay, because if I recall correctly, his glasses are important to the plot of The Miserable Mill. If they were left out entirely, more changes would have to be made (assuming they go on with the movies).

They could always have him bump his head or sprain something as an excuse to go to Dr. Orwell. Wasn’t Dr. Orwell the only doctor in town, even though her specialty was eyes?

Fact: Liam Aiken, who plays Klaus, actually was a front-runner to play Potter until it was decided to use only British actors in the cast (Aiken is American).

I can’t remember about the doctor. I know they can manage to work around things like that, but they wouldn’t have to if they didn’t change things unnecessarily in the first place! sigh It’s rough being a purist!

I have not read the books, but I have seen the film, which I liked a lot more than I expected to. I’m not a Jim Carrey hater, but I’m not a big fan of his Ace Ventura-style schtick. I don’t feel it overwhelms the movie, because the kids are the main focus and Count Olaf is clearly supposed to be awful. I thought the movie was exciting, delightful, and quite moving. I think it’s going to scare the crap out of a lot of unsuspecting children too. Fun!

Yeah, like the adorable three-month-old baby a few seats down from me and Paidhi Girl. sigh She really was a cute child, but predictably she was not amused by the Incredibly Deadly Viper’s first appearance, among other moments of the film.

My 8 year old, on the other hand, enjoyed it but was not scared–well, except for an anxious moment when she was worried they’d be lost in Curdled Cave.

It wasn’t the books, but it was probably as close as a movie could come to the books. Almost. It wasn’t the sheer genius that the books are. But I certainly don’t think I’ve wasted my ticket.

Couldn’t he just develop a need for glasses?

Now, you have to remember that Count Olaf is a self-centered, attention-whoring, bad actor. Kind of silly to blast Carrey for acting that way, yes?

I’d think that would change the rating to PG-13 or R, wouldn’t it?

One interesting thing I found about this film is the licensing (I haven’t seen it yet, but I am a fan of the books). Due to the satirical dark tone, very few companies wanted to sign up, but the few that did are an unusual mix- Burger King, Papa John’s, Oscar Mayer, Sunny Delight, and perhaps strangest of all, AFLAC insurance (whose famous duck makes a brief cameo in the film). This is, it is believed, the first time an insurance company has sponsored a film. Which makes one wonder if the Baudelares would have been better off if their parents had had that insurance. You know…the one that pays you cash when you get hurt and miss work?

Whoooosh

Don’t worry, gobear, I got the joke. :stuck_out_tongue:

TeemingOne, what sort of activity could a growing boy indulge in that might cause him to need glasses?

I just saw it tonight. I have the disturbing feeling that that girl who plays Violet will marry Rod Stewart before this decade is out. Or date Wilmer Valderrama. Or both.

You’ll go blind if you keep masturbating.

This post brought to you by the U.S. Department of Matriarchal Cliches

I have to say that the closing credits for this movie were absolutely fantastic. Almost the entire audience stayed; think “closing credits from [the David Niven version of] Around the World In 80 Days” crossed with Edward Gorey.

We saw the movie tonight and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jim Carrey was not totally overbearing (in the Ace Ventura way) and was perfect for the role of Count Olaf. I was wondering if Klaus was ever going to get a chance to say anything- it seemed a long time into the movie before he had any lines. All the acting was well done but I was sometimes distracted by Violet’s odd facial features.

The whole thing was bizarre in a Tim Buton/weird French kind of way, but very enjoyable.