The slow death of G4

Besides Ninja Warrior, the only other show I watched on G4 on a regular basis was Rotten Tomatoes, but I haven’t seen that on in a while. Are they still making it?

I liked the show “Disk Doktors” and “MXC”. I liked Ninja Warriors but not enough to wade through all the other crap.

It’s on Current channel. Check your listings. Dish Network-Chl. 196

Current :smack: I knew that. Don’t know why I was thinking G4. OK, moving on now…

ANd I think they stopped making Rotten Tomatoes also.

I haven’t seen it on in a while, so I was wondering.

At the end of an episode a month or two back they said somethign about "that’s the end for Rotten Tomatoes but you can catch our reviews on Infograph**

**or whatever that show is called… their version of The Soup.

Save for McHammer.

Web Soup?

I talked about the downturn of G4 on Digg*. I only watched for AOTS X-Play and the Japanese game shows. It REALLY got to me that it was 3 hours of Cops and Cheaters of late. I really was wondering what G4 was trying to do, and how they didnt conclude the inevitable.

But, yeah I Remember the Tallarico era. Frankly, he came across as a douche. To say nothing of the fact that he produced Judgement Day, The Electric Playground, and some other equally forgettable show. Just struck me as being pompous.

*Digg, of course being the pet project of Kevin Rose, a former TechTV talent. Digg would arguably not have gotten as popular if TechTV was still around. The Snake is eating itself.

FYI :

Random sites to cobble together TechTV talents :

[Leo hosts a few shows, namely the Audio Podcast This Week In Tech]

http://revision3.com/tekzilla

[Patrick made it over to Rev3 in Tekzilla. Kevin and Alex [Albrecht] produce Diggnation and a few other shows from Rev 3.]

http://dl.tv/

Robert Heron made it over here.

Cranky Geeks apaprently has ended, I was going to offer that one.

Chris Pirillo rocks his site here:

Can’t say I agree here–though if they were to bring in BRIAN BLESSED for the American/G4 version of Banzuke, it’d be a tighter race. Can’t say I’ll miss G4 for anything else, though I suppose it was handy to have someplace I could go for Cops reruns when Discovery’s having a Deadliest Catch marathon instead of Cash Cab during dinner time.

There’s a clip somewhere of her popping a boob out while making an adjustment.
If anyone is into that sort of thing.

If you like X-Play reviews and have OnDemand you can probably get the reviews that way. I know I can. They have the reviews individually so you don’t have to sit through the rest of the pointless crap that the show has become.

Exactly what I was thinking!

So I now feel even better about dropping DirecTV last year, as one of the saddest things for me was no Ninja Warrior. Every other show I like I can watch elsewhere, but not that. Now I know I wouldn’t be able to watch it even if I’d kept the satellite!

That’s an interesting fork in the road for me.* Did you catch the Halloween Episode that was a Parody of Saw?

Each G4TV personality was in a SAW-esque trap, rigged to or solved by using iconic Video Game paraphernalia.

Kevin Pereria** Was locked into a Virtual Boy Headset. Tasked to play Mario Tennis.

Coudln’t you at least have given me the Pinball game? That one had great music!!

There were some great, great comedy bits on X-Play. Granted, this was before the Lets put all of best G4 shows into X-play reboot. I just felt that they would make a pitch somewhere down the line to make a sitcom of some sort using working at X-play as the premise. Kinda like The Office, except that you know, you got to see the “product” that office sold as well.

• Not sure the best way to phrase what I wanted to say here. Again, I just felt that if they wanted to, they could have gone real far making a Fictional, scripted 30 minute weekly around X-play. I don’t know the budget, but I have to guess it would have been uber-cheap.

** I actually had to look up how to spell his last name. I never in a million years would have guessed Per over Pre. Then again, I’m still working on the fact that the show(s) had two Blairs. Interestingly, I agree with Kevin in regards to the spoiled statement.

Ninja Warrior is completely awesome, so why didn’t Viking take off over here?

Just watched some on YouTube, the math was totally unexpected. Run, jump, climb, stop and figure a sum, run, swim, run more and climb. Fun to watch though.

What channel was it on?

I remember watching it on ESPN 2 once a long time ago; think it was on an early Sunday morning or a similar time when no actual sports would be occurring.

Then again, there was Battle Dome, and that Wild Wild West American Gladiator type show* that both also flashed.

• Thankfully, two seconds searching for Wild West and American Gladiators yields that the name of the second show is Wild West Showdown. Imagine American Gladiators taking place in the Wild West Cowboy era, and you would be pretty close to the premise.
    WAG 1: It is a good show and as we all know from TechTV good things aren’t meant to last. C.F. TV Trope, Too Good To Last.

WAG 2: The core Audience for Ninja Warrior / Sasuke and Wrestling do not want to think that much to enjoy a show. A viking Ship, and Old West Town main street does not get across what a Wrestling ring can get across.

WAG 3: It couldn’t find the right Market, let alone have the would be Advertisers find it.

Yep, I found it by accident. They had a good “sports” show that could have appealed to non-sports fans like me but the aired at ass-o’clock in the morning for some reason. Same thing with G4. Anytime they they anything worth watching (which is almost never) they run it when nobody would be seeing it.