The social phenomenon of giving girls male-associated names

So eventually there’ll be girls named Dick?

No, it’s a completely unrelated name that sounds feminine to English ears, and your post was relevant in a homophonous way, that’s all.

Not the reason we chose her name, but something I noted to my husband after our youngest was born: Michelle Tracy is named after my late sister and my husband’s only brother (Tracy is a family name on that side for several generations, anyway, and brother Tracy is unlikely to pass it on.) But I realized after the fact that, if it’s ever important to her to hide her gender - say, in an academic or professional setting where she might be judged differently based on her gender - signing herself M. Tracy [Lastname] is ambiguous, but perfectly appropriate. My other daughters would just have to use initials, because their names are feminine (although not ridiculous. I was pretty adamant that I wouldn’t name any of my children something that wouldn’t be perfectly appropriate for a kid, or a business executive, or a grandparent. And no trendy, ridiculous spellings. No Grandma Britnii or Grandpa Jaayydnn in the future!)

Re: the name Elizabeth. I know zillions of us, including my daughter, my mother, her grandmother, and almost everyone I’ve ever met who shares my first name. Mostly, though, it’s used as a middle name.

Reminds me of that goofy folk song about a certain Eddie Kushi Katchi Kama Tosa Nira Tosa Noka Sama Kama Wacky Brown.

Because they liked the sound of it?

I completely agree.

I think it’s just you. I frequently meet other Elizabeths and I’ve certainly had classmates and coworkers and such with the same name. I was born in 1971 if it matters.

I usually ask other Elizabeths what their middle name is because chances are better than even that it’s Anne. Or Ann. But Anne is a far superior middle name, IMHO. I may be biased.

PS - Nice to meet you, Elizabeth

What? Thinking where I live and have spent the majority of my life, the mid-Atlantic US. I can name at least 4 Elizabeths Ive been personal friends with. And have met at least a dozen or so others. Of course at least half go as Beth, Liz, or Ellie or something. Even had a girl switch to Eliza after I had known her for a few months… it didnt last.

Actually, it’s an occupation.

Yes. It, and Vivian, are still fairly common, or at least not unique, male names in Britain.

Yes, also referenced as a male name on many websites. Maybe they hoped she’ll be a lumberjack.

The name Francis is male, and Frances is female. However it is not rare to find a female spelling it with an “i” (often British?) but I’ve never heard of a male spelling it “e”. Discussion above doesn’t account for generational use. My daughter says anyone with her same name was born the same year as she. I knew a 6 foot male name Shirley. I strongly disagree with Monstro - it ought to be required that people have real names, correctly spelled - from one who had to keep track of many names.

Also “Kelly”, “Shirley”, and “Carol” (related to “Charles”). You still see “Kelly” as a boy’s name once in a while, but it’s rapidly fading as such.

She’ll be ok.

Also remember “Ashley” Wilkes from Gone With the Wind.

My mother’s given names are Elizabeth Ann, but she’s always gone by Ann.

Wearing high heels, suspenders (garters) and bras really won’t seem all that odd.

In the late '70s-early '80s I knew a guy named “Stoner”, which was his mother’s maiden name. I remember his mom telling us about how he came home from his first day of junior high school practically in tears because he’d just found out what it meant. Fortunately for him, by high school he’d grown into a tall, well-built, good-looking, popular guy and nobody hassled him about the name.

Hah. Every time I hear of a girl named “Mercedes”, I immediately picture a large-breasted girl with long brown or black hair and too much eyeliner, wearing a skintight white T-shirt and leather pants or miniskirt, draped across the hood of a Camaro. Probably because I’ve seen, over the years, no fewer than six different models with that name, with the same basic appearance and posing in the same manner. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a blonde or redhead “Mercedes”. Always brunettes.

My sister is an Elisabeth (with an S), and my mom is an Ann.

I didn’t know about guys named Evelyn until I saw Downton Abbey.

Maybe Hunter like “Artemis”? Were you referring to Hunter Tylo? There’s also a PGA golfer named Hunter Mahan.

Kelsey Grammer named his eldest daughter, “Spencer” after his best friend, Spencer. Spencer’s mom and family were upset about it until he told them Jaclyn Smith (who was working with him on a mini series) said she loved the name.

Evelyn Waugh? Then there was that Marion Morrison fellow.

I have perhaps a different perspective since I’ve had quite a few male-named women in my life. My slightly elder sister has a very male name - a slightly unusual one in the US but not in any way a crossover or sometimes-girl name. A very broad-shouldered masculine name in the UK, in fact.

My first long-time partner and my first wife both had traditionally male names as well. I didn’t have an adult relationship with a woman who had a traditional name until I was in my early 30s. :slight_smile:

I am a Stacy because my mom lost the coin toss. She wanted Stephanie, another male derived name. Dad really wanted Susan but it was taken by my first cousin. They told me it sounded fresher and more interesting than Sarah, Shari, Sandra or Sharon. The S was essential as an Ashkenazi Jewish tribute to my paternal grandmother Shirley and maternal great-grandmother Szerena. My former middle name is Nicole. I dropped in favor of my maiden name as a middle name when I married.

I hate the name. It’s dated, ambigender, has shallow roots, not easily spelled (Stacey/Staci are other variants) and was so popular in my youth I rarely went without at least one other Stacy (or Stacey for that matter) in my class.

My girls are Serena and Charlotte. Both have a clear female gender, are easily spelled and have historic and literary roots. Had they been boys, they would have been named Nathaniel and Alexander.

I met two little boys named Sebastian and Marcello the other day. I thought that really worked.

That’s probably because it’s a Spanish name. Not that there aren’t any blonde or redheaded Spaniards/Latinos, but you’re not likely to meet a lot in the US.