The Story that Movie was based on appeared originally in Playboy!

Another Bradbury non-original publication: Fahrenheit 451 was serialized in the March, April and May 1954 issues. The original paperback publication was in October 1953.

Matheson’s “Prey”, which was adapted as the famous Zuni fetish doll segment of the made-for-TV Trilogy of Terror, first appeared in the April 1969 issue.
“Button, Button”, adapted for the 80s Twilight Zone and more recently as the film “The Box” was also a Playboy original (June 1970)

Asimov also had a series published in the even racier men’s mag “Gallery”…or so I’ve heard.

I might be the only person who loved SFW. I thought it was brilliant.

I think I remember a chapter of “The World According To Garp” appearing in Playboy before it was published in book form.

nm

I read Sound Of Thunder, The Fly, Duel, all of Jean Shepherd’s hilarious “Parker Family” stories, and Mr. Sardonicus in Playboy. I was a strange teenager- got into PB for the usual teenage boy reason, but soon found myself avidly reading the interviews, articles, and stories just as eagerly. I remember being most impressed by Duel- a great short story, and surprisingly made into an even better movie by some director I’d never heard of.

I remember reading ‘A boy and his dog’ by Harlan Ellison in an anthology I borrowed from the school library. I’m sure it said the original version first appeared in Playboy, but wikipedia doesn’t agree. It was later turned into a very 1970s film with Don Johnson.

Can anyone confirm my 30+ year old memory?

Irwin Shaw had a short story called Rich Man, Poor Man published in Playboy, which he then expanded to a bestselling novel, and which them became a massively successful ABC miniseries (which I watched!) that featured, among others, a young Nick Nolte.

According to the authoritative Internet Speculative Fiction DataBase (isdfb), “A Boy and his Dog” first appeared in New Worlds in 1969, then in the anthology The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World , published in softcover by Avon (which is where I read it). It doesn’t list any publication in Playboy at all, even much later. None of his other stories about Vic and Blood appeared in Playboy either.

Sorry, I think you got something confused with something else. Ellison did have other pieces in Playboy.

Thanks for checking! I’m probably confusing it with something else that was in that anthology. My mind has probably made the connection as ‘a boy and his dog’ did have some sex scenes in it and I was about 13 when I read it.

I think those were a series of “Two-minute Mystery”-type stories, where this retired spy/LEO would regale members of his club with tales of how he cracked his most puzzling cases.

”Dealing: Or the Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues” was written by Michael Crichton and his brother Douglas Crichton under the joint pseudonym “Michael Douglas.” I remember reading it my sophomore year in college (1970) over three consecutive issues of Playboy, before it was released as a novel.

In 1972 it was made into a movie that featured the film debut of John Lithgow.

Yep. When I was editing top crime writers like Ed McBain, Don Westlake, Joe Gores, and Larry Block, they said much the same thing.

Playboy was also very, very good to cartoonists — a young Hefner had aspired to that profession — which is why Playboy was second only to The New Yorker as a cartoon showplace.

:slight_smile: I see that I’m not the only one who remembers it that way.

Playboy had stories? :confused:

As I was reading through Benson’s book Space Odyssey, it occurred to me that Clarke’s 2010: Odyssey two (which became the Peter Hyams movie 2010: The Year we Made Contact was excerpted in Playboy before it appeared in hardcover. Ironically, much of what appeared in Playboy was material that didn’t appear in the movie.

I loved it when it came out. Came across a DVD copy for $5 a few years ago, so I also own it. Haven’t rewatched it though.

Perhaps it’s time.

kaylasmom used to receive it from the Library of Congress in Braille. Definitely had stories. And articles.

I just looked and I can stream it for free on amazon prime.

I’m another one who acquired it for the usual teenage boy reasons but read the articles - and the cartoons and the jokes page and everything else - cover to cover. A lot of ridiculously high quality writing for a skin mag.

A terrible, terrible movie. But at least, unlike the book, the characters in the film weren’t snuffling at each other’s crotches all the time.

*Playboy * had to discontinue the Braille edition - there were too many hard feelings.

<rimshot>