The Stupidest Thing I ever Did

The number two most stupid thing I ever did was remarkably similar.

I bought a motorcycle.

It was a street bike, but I liked to ride it around the fields, without a helmet, …real fast.

My wife said I would wreck and kill myself.

She was walking up from the fields while I was riding around, as I was passing her up the path (no more than 15 mph) the dog spooked in fornt of the motorcycle.

I swerved and gently laid the motorcycle on its side to avoid hitting our dog. When the footpeg touched the ground, the motorcycle flipped with me on it. It landed on to od me, still running.
“I told you you’d kill yourself riding that thing, don’t expect me to feel sorry for you!”

“Arrrgh!” The motorcycle was still running, the chain cutting into my leg in a whimsical manner, the tailpipe trying to make a medium rare roast beef out of my thigh.

“Help, turn it off!”

“It’s your own fault. Help yourself. I knew it would happen.”

Finally I shut the motorcycle off. I start trying to push it off me, but only succeed in rocking. Each time I do, a rock digs into my back. My wife starts giggling.

“I promise I’m going to kill you.”

She starts laughing.

“Please help me. I’m bleeding. I hurt my knee. The pipe is burning me. Please.”
Now she really starts giggling.

“You’re trying trick me. Yo said you’d kill me. If I get near you, you’ll grab me.”

“No I won’t. I was just kidding when I said I’d kill you.”

“You weren’t kidding. You’re gonna kill me.”

“YES! IF YOU DON’t &^^&ING HELP ME GET THIS GOD&*#M &*%ING THING OFF ME I’M GONNA RIP YOUR HEAD OFF!!”

She starts giggling uncontrollably.

“AAARRRRRRGGGGGH!!!” With a Herculean effort, I push the bike up enough to extricate myself.

My wife runs away laughing.

I limp up to the house grimly after her, like Jack Nicholson in The Shining

Just out of HS i took a job at Northwestern University as a carpenter. It was a great job-good union pay, lots o’ overtime, keys to all the frats and sororities, etc.
The U was a great place for dumpster diving and in our travels we found a block of lead about the size of a telephone book (8cm x 25cm x 30cm for you that don’t have big phone books :stuck_out_tongue: )
We also had these cool bottles of freon used to get gum out of carpets. So what we would do is stand up a canister which was about 12" tall, lug the lead up to the third floor and drop it onto the canister

BOOM!

The first two times, it was hysterically funny. The can would freeze the lead, but the explosion would blow it up into the air and put a divot into the concrete.

The third time our aim was a tiny bit off.
The block struck the can a glancing blow and sent it rocketing to the adjacent parking lot where it went through 5 cars worth of car windows before punching a hole into the door of a Kharmann Ghia.
Before the bottle stopped, we were on the other end of campus (except for the poor schmuck janitor who was assigned to the building- he was in the basement running the big buffing machine “What, me? Hear anything? Oh no no no, Mr. Police Officer”
Did I mention a 19 yr old guy having all the keys to the sororities?

I’ll save the Tale O’ The Dry Ice toilets for another day…

Bobort, I can’t swear to it, but IIRC the movie The Wizard of Oz had a similar problem with flashpots. They allegedly set fire to the Wicked Witch as she disappeared from Munchkinland early in the movie.

Scylla, first off, you know how to make a man laugh. And I definately like your sadistic wife :wink:

OK, here’s my story. I’ll copy it straight from this thread about competitiveness. It’s actually worth a read, since I -being new to these boards at the time- got some interesting responses (to say the least!) from another longtime poster. Pissed me off just reading it again. Also, there’s a great story by Wally in there.

But I digress. Without further ado, here’s a direct C&P of the story at hand:

"I’m VERY competitive.

In fact I’m so competitive I nearly killed myself a couple of years ago, must have been 1994.
Here goes. I’m driving my father’s car (1993 Mitsubishi Galant) on a Dutch highway at around 8 pm on a summer evening. Just having covered a 80 km/h stretch, I finally arrive at the point where the speed limit goes up to 120 km/h (some 75 miles). I accelerate - meanwhile being passed in the left lane by a sporty looking Opel Astra, doing something clearly over the speed limit. “I’ll be damned if I’m gonna be outrun by this crap PoS Opel thing !”, I rationally think.
So I floor the car. This was actually quite a powerful car, capable of some 210 km/h (a bit over 130 mph). After a while, I catch up with the Opel (it’s called a Vauxhall in England, an Opel in mainland Europe, Opel’s GM but I don’t know what it’s called in north america). I’m doing maybe 3 km/h more than him - after a bit of slipstreaming, I move over to the left lane to overtake him. Smiling at the other driver, I move past him, doing well over 200 km/h.

I look forward again, and the sight nearly makes me shit myself.

Maybe 200 meters away, there’s one of those road construction trailers, you know, the ones with the blinking arrows on them directing you to the other lane. I got so caught up in racing, I completely missed all the warning signs I must have passed already at that point !!

I could have easily braked and moved over behind the Opel, but something inside me decides I just HAVE to get in front of this guy. And he isn’t backing down either… I already feel the cat-eye strips going underneath my tires (a later inquiry revealed that standard policy is to start those strips 30 meters before the actual trailer - a distance covered in 0.5 seconds at 200 km/h !) when I throw the car onto the right lane, just avoiding the trailer.

When I look back in my mirror, I can’t see the Opel’s headlights - that’s how close he is (less than 1.5 meters, I estimate)!!

So, I didn’t hit the trailer, nor the Opel. The story’s not over yet though. Now we’re on a single lane (the left one’s under construction as stated, and there’s only a narrow emergency shoulder to the right [say 2 meters wide]), braking heavily. I spot a family sedan in front of me, bicycles on the roof, camping trailer attached to it. It’s doing maybe 70 km/h, and I’m still way over 150 km/h. There’s no way I’m gonna make this.

So I pass him over the emergency shoulder on the right - 20 centimetres of space to either side of the car at a speed of over 130 km/h at that point. The guy was scared to death.

After that, I decelerated enough and carried on at a normal speed. When the left lane opened again, the Opel Astra passed me and looked at me like I came from another planet.

I stopped the car in a roadside parking lot to see if there REALLY wasn’t any damage. There wasn’t. I had been EXTREMELY lucky, and so had all the other people involved been.

This must have been the single most stupid thing I ever did out of competitiveness. It almost got me killed, and I can assure you all it changed my way of driving completely. The road is not a racing circuit. I know this now.

Thanks for your time, I hope you found it entertaining as well as educating."

I think we can all agree that was pretty damn stupid too :slight_smile:
Again, a good thing nobody got hurt, and I DID learn from it.

This is really what is the stupidest thing four guys can do. It’s a beautiful summer day. The Missus and I decided to have friends over for a BBQ. There were three other couples who showed up. Everyone starts to get a little loose, just a nice buzz.

Joe mentions that he needs to take his gas tank in to have leek fixed. Lance, who paints motorcycles, offers to weld the tank. He’s fixed many MC tanks before. Well the guys decide we have time to run over to Lance’s house, drain, remove, washout, etc… the gas tank and Lance will weld it.

The procedure was to fill the tank with water, drain some it and light a match to burn off excess fumes, fill, light, repeat. This is supposed to keep the tank from exploding when it is being welded. Got the picture, four guys, alcohol, gas tank, and fire. The stupid part is we are all standing in a ring around this tank taking turns filling it, a lighting it. Small whooshes occur each time the flames race through mostly filled tank.

At one point the water level must have dropped and KA-BOOOOOOM. Lance’s arm is now a piece of meat, Mike and I have second and third degree burns on our arms, Joe is the only one who doesn’t get hurt. (it was his gas tank) The ladies are about a mile away and hear an explosion, they joke around that we probably blew ourselves up. Five minutes later when they are called to take us to the ER it wasn’t so funny.

We all should have listen to our parents when they said “Don’t play with matches”

Coldfire I don’t think in Kilometers and meters. I’m american! Now go ahead and rewrite your story so that I can understand the excitement and close brush you had with death.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

tubagirl:

I think the Imperial measurement for dashing towards a non-moving trailer at 200 km/h is “so f*cking fast you’ll shit your pants”.

Happy now?

:stuck_out_tongue:

I used to live in a house that had an electric water well that hadn’t worked it years. Being the “Fix-It” type of guy I am, I rebuilt the water pump. This was a pretty strong pump. It was powered with two 120v circuits. Everything was all put back together, and I was ready to try it out. I primed the pump with a couple of pitchers of water, and turned the power switch on. I went outside to see if it was working. Lo and Behold! Water was coming out of the spigot! I had been told that the way to determine if you’re pumping out the primer water or fresh well water is to feel the water pipe. The well-water will be noticeably colder. So I grab the pipe to see if it’s colder and get the shock of my life. Literally! Mr Mix-It here, wired back one of the 120v circuits backwards, and it was being grounded through the pipe into the ground that I had just grabbed hold of. It was all I could do to pull my hand off that pipe! I just lay there in the yard for about 30 minutes after that. My wife found me and said, “I thought you were supposed to feel the pipe with the back of your hand”. (Which is what I was told, so that if you get electrocuted, your reflexes will pull you away from the pipe). Every muscle in my body ached for days after.

I’ve done many, many, stupid things in my life, but here’s one that happened recently. I had just removed a roast from the oven and reached up to the top shelf of the cabinet to get a platter. Normally I do this with my right hand, but this time I used my left. To my left, above my head, was the large glass globe light fixture. Smack! The platter hits the globe, and it shatters. Glass everywhere. My husband calls from the other room, “Are you OK?” Miraculously, I am unhurt! I said, “Yes, I’m fine.” I look up at the fixture, just as the other half comes crashing down on my upturned face. Oh, shit! I said, “Now I’m not!” I have several small cuts on my face, my hand is bleeding pretty badly, and there’s glass all over the floor and I’m barefoot. He came in to help me, swept up the glass, and handed me a paper towel to stop the bleeding. After the mess is cleaned up, I look at the roast we were about to eat. It’s got several pieces of glass on it! I rinsed it off very carefully, and put it back in the oven for a few minutes. Nobody died. The End.

George Washington’s birthday, 1979. Alexandria, VA. The night before, the late news is saying a vigourous storm is moving up the Atlantic coast while a cold front is moving south through Pennsylvania, but since big storms almost never hit the DC area, they are still saying rain, maybe changing to snow before ending.

Well, as it happens, the two manage to collide directly over DC and fight it out all night and most of the next day - the result - 23" of snow in the city.

Needless to say, for a high school kid, this is as good as it gets. The only problem is, this is the south, where 3" of snow can shut down the city, so this event is the equivalent of a nuclear attack. Stores are closed, roads are impassable, everyone is stuck in their homes, and the best sledding hill south of the Mason-Dixon line is 1.5 miles away.

Myself and 3 others make it to the hill shortly before dark, fueled by purloined schnapps and maybe some other, uh, substances. Still being cloudy, it becomes very dark very quickly. Full of pride at being the first to make it to the hill, we throw down our sleds and one very large inner tube, only to find that they don’t work too well in very deep snow - they sink. Unwilling to accept defeat, we hatch a plan.

We proceed to make a couple of very large snowballs, and roll them down the hill, which descends steeply for about 150 yards, then flattens to a gentle downslope for another 100 yards or so - in other words, the perfect sledding hill. Instant bobsled run! With much whooping and hollering and a remarkable lack of rational thought, the 4 of us hop on the tube and begin down the slope, picking up speed and soon finding ourselves wedged rather tightly into the channel we had created.

At some point, near the bottom of the steep slope, the lights came back on in our heads, and the yelling turned to a sickening silence as we all came to the same thought at once - "I wonder how fcking big that snowball is now…*? Ouch.

Well once I did something really stoopid.

I had just discovered the Internet. Now I’d been using AOL and had been having problems with the local access numbers. So I went into the setup, typed in my area code (804), and saw all these access numbers for all over the state of Virginia (where I live). Since I was having bad connections and busy signals on the Richmond lines, I decided to utilize all these other numbers in my area code—not realizing they were long distance. Anyways, I got the phone bill the following month and literally paused before falling on the floor. The bill was nearly a thousand dollars! :eek:

The next day I called Bell Atlantic, explained the story and was informed that this happens often enough that they have a one time relief, and thus all the charges were dropped. That was one big sigh of relief.

After that my dad patted me on the shoulder and said, “If that’s the dumbest mistake you ever make in your life then you are a genius.”

Well it makes me feel better that others, if not all of us, have made stoopid mistakes as well.

I changed the element in our water heater. I’m anxious to see if I’ve hooked it up correctly, so, like the doofus I am, I put the back of my index finger on the two contacts of the element to see if its warming up.

My finger bridges the gap between the two contacts, and 220volts course through my body. Amoung other things, my chin is forced against my chest. I’m compelled to utter…“NYUK NYUK NYUK…AHHHHHH NYUK”, like a deranged Curly of Stooges fame.

My wife comes to the rescue…well, comes down the hall screaming something or other about strange noises similar to a Jules White short.

She finds me performing floor spins and shouting, “Soytenly…whup whup whup…Soytenly”.
I didn’t want to shout like Curly…I just had to.

I am so smart…S-M-R-T…I mean S-M-A-R-T.

This isn’t the stupidest thing I’ve EVER done, but it is the stupidest thing I did this weekend.

We were cleaning out closets and pulling out winter clothes and putting away summer clothes. This resulted in a large pile of laundry, which just got piled by the bedroom door on Saturday. Saturday night we go to bed without doing the laundry.

Early Sunday morning, I woke up and needed to go and pee. It was still dark, I was only a tiny bit awake, I didn’t put on my glasses. I’m blind without my glasses (20/800 last I checked), but it was dark and I know the way to the bathroom.

I stumble towards the bathroom. I stumble across the laundry thinking, “oh, laundry”. As I am putting my foot down for the next step, I realize that the kitty, my beloved fuzzy baby, has chosen to sleep on the nice pile of laundry that night, and I am about to stomp on him and probably hurt him badly or even kill him. I think, “Ahh! killing kitty!!! Noooo!!!” and jerk my foot back up. It is too late to stop moving though, and so I twisted around and charged head first into the door and slid down the door face first into the laundry.

My husband, bless his heart, didn’t laugh. At the time.

At the time, no, sweetie, of course not. I would never laugh at you hurting yourself.

Let’s see, stupid things I’ve done… there are quite a few…

Probably the all-time stupidest thing I’ve ever done was in Mexico. Nobody got hurt, nothing got damaged; I walked away with only trembling leg muscles and lacerated palms. But it could have been really bad, because I was cocky and dumb.

We were staying at Terra Sol in Cabo San Lucas, which is way out toward the point on its own stretch of ocean-front beach. Really nice place, I gotta tell ya. Anyway, the beach is bordered on both ends with large (really large) rock formations. I used to be a lot more athletic than I am now, so I decided to spend a day out rock-climbing. I’m not really a big fan of heights, but rock-climbing is fun as long as there’s something more or less beneath me. I wouldn’t do well on one of those absolutely vertical (or worse, anti-sloped) faces, but my height phobia doesn’t kick in as long as I’m basically just crawling. My brother and cousin (both younger, the cousin by a lot) came along, just for fun.

We worked our way up towards the summit, sweating and grunting in the hot sun. The terrain varied between loose gravel and steep bare rock, so the going was slow. We were definitely headed for the top; we’d been watching vultures and hawks circling the summit, and we wanted to get up there and see if they had nests or whatever. We didn’t think about the birds being unhappy with us and divebombing us with claws and beaks extended, and we didn’t consider the risk of running into a rattlesnake. These, as it turned out, were inconsequential dangers.

I’m a stronger climber than the other two, so I led the way. About halfway up, we came to an especially steep area, basically a sheer face. Since this was just spur-of-the-moment recreational climbing, obviously we didn’t have any of the appropriate gear; we were working with athletic shoes and bare fingers.

I studied the rocks above, searching for a route, and spotted a chimney that might suffice. If you’ve never rock-climbed, a chimney is sort of a vertical tunnel; it can be fully enclosed, like a pipe, or it can be exposed on one side, like a notch. This was one of the latter.

I called down to my brother and cousin that this was likely to be too difficult for them, but I’d check it out and see how it was. I could see blue sky beyond the upper edge of the chimney; it looked from my angle like there might be a bit of a plateau above the current ridge.

So, off I go. I cram myself into the chimney and slowly work upward, holding my back against one side by pushing on the opposite side with my hands and feet. And in this way, I slowly wormed up the notch.

Finally, after maybe twenty feet of climbing, I get to where I can reach the top of the notch. I get my fingers up over the corner, and hoist myself upward.

Okay. Slow motion now:

As I rise, I am struck with the observation that the blue sky above the notch just keeps going down. In other words, as I move upward, I expect the blue sky to be interrupted by a crag or rock or whatever is beyond the notch. And it isn’t. I just keep seeing more blue sky.

I’m still rising, pulling myself like a chin-up, when I am suddenly horrified to realize that there isn’t anything beyond the notch, because I can look downward and see the beach far, far below.

Now I finish the chin-up and can see clearly. Where my fingers are hooked over, and where my chin just slightly overhangs the rock, is an absolutely vertical drop of at least a hundred feet, terminating in a jumble of jagged boulders. I figure out that as we were climbing, we must have angled slightly off from our target, and have basically climbed from ground level along a gentle arc, away from the summit, toward the opposite side of the rock formation.

The chin-up happened in the space of maybe a second, so I haven’t fully internalized the conscious thought that I need to turn around and go back – when the rock I’m hanging on to, fingers hooked at the top and body laying flat against it, suddenly shifts.

More horrified realization: This isn’t a true notch; it’s actually a deep V between two huge rocks, which has filled in with debris. And where am I? Hanging on to the topmost piece of debris, a thin sledlike slab wedged loosely into the very top. A slab that really, really doesn’t like my weight, and that’s threatening to come free and pitch me unceremoniously forward into the void.

Sudden, overwhelming activation of height phobia – my heart bounces off the underside of my brain, and my vision goes all sparkly at the edges.

Snap from slow motion to fast: I let go, drop a few feet, and jam my hands and feet against the wall, thoroughly gouging my palms and bruising my back. I skitter downward with little regard for my safety, and none at all for my brother and cousin, who hug the wall and barely manage to dodge all of the rocks and gravel that’s being kicked free by my frantic descent.

After what seems like forever, I plant my feet on the actual rock at bottom and grab a hold of something I know is solid. My heart is hammering, and my hands are bleeding.

My brother yells profanely at me about all the rocks and stuff that almost brained him. I try to explain in a shaky voice; he finally calms down enough to understand that our rock-climbing expedition has come to its conclusion.

And, somewhat sheepishly, I lead the way back down again, and that’s the end of it.

So nobody died, or was even significantly injured. But I still get the heebie-jeebies when I put myself back at that moment of pulling up past the rock and realizing I was hanging on to a sled ride to hell…

Well, the stupidest thing I ever did happened years ago. The only excuse I have is that I was only about 12, and brainwashed from years of watching cartoons.

It was a lovely summer in Maine, and we were staying at my grandfather’s cottage. Poking around the attic, I found an old powder horn filled with black powder. Putting my looney tunes education to use, I realize that I could make a trail of powder, light it, and watch it burn like a fuse, as Buggs Bunny always did to Elmer Fudd. I go outside, write my name on the road, and bend down to light it with a match. One small problem… Gunpowder DOES NOT burn like a fuse. Gunpowder EXPLODES. WHOOSH! First and second degree burns on my face, my hair is on fire, and I discover new worlds of pain for a 12 year old. I had to spend the entire summer under a big sun hat as my face healed. So now, when any of you meet me and wonder why I am so ugly, you have the answer. I blew my cute face off when I was 12.:wink:

Not long after my family moved into our previous house, we had to fell a tree in order to clear a path for the sidewalk. After disposing of the main body of the tree into our firewood pile, we were left with a large pile of small branches, twigs, and leaves.

“How we gonna get rid of that, Dad?” we asked.

“Old Indian trick,” he replied.

He proceeded to sprinkle the better part of a five-gallon can of gasoline over the pile. The pile was next to the driveway, where we stood as Dad flung a lit match in the general direction of the pile.

The next thing I remember I was lying in the front yard (which was separated from the driveway by a 3’ high crosstie wall) looking up at the cloud of smoke created from the top half of the original pile. Neighbors six houses away were coming out on their front porches to see what had befallen the Alton abode. Which was nothing, fortunately, as we were renting the property and would have been hard pressed to explain the event in exculpatory terms.

"Well, you see, sir, um, we din’t realize that in the three seconds it took to step away from the pile, light the match, and throw the match, that the resulting fume radius would be equal to the size of the house…

This was a very stupid situation I was able to salvage a little self respect from.

I’m not sure why I get strange comments when I talk about this. You know, it’s not easy to talk about something so very humiliating. Well, it IS funny. I like to tell this story as a sort of self-deprecating move. I mean, it’s not everyday someone dumps you for a dead cat. But that’s what happened to me. And, in a sort of bizarre twist, the story involves my mom and dad, too.

I was a senior in highschool at the time. The only mode of transportation I had then was a Honda 350 motorcycle my dad gave me when right before his very eyes he saw someone get killed riding one. It’s nice to know my dad cares, isn’t it? Actually, I’m sure I begged to have it since he wasn’t going to ride it anymore. Anyway, that’s another story.

University of South Carolina (my alma mater) was offering an orientation class for incoming freshman. So, I guess it was April or May. You got to meet professors, visit different college buildings, ask questions, etc. It was all kind of neat. The first meeting was in the large lecture hall I was later to find out was used for the gigantic chemistry classes. Actually, they started OUT gigantic. By the end of a semester they would be about a third their size.

It was in this first meeting I met a very very cute highschool senior. Pretty curly hair. Nice and slender. We sat and talked before the meeting began. What was she looking into majoring in, I asked? Why, Biology. Very interesting, I said. And quite the coincidence since that was what I was majoring in also, I told her.

Of course, it was a bald face lie. But I was attracted to this young lady and decided I would follow her from meeting to meeting to get to know her. And as luck would have it, I was scoring points right and left. In one class, the lecturer pointed to a large, brown shelled creature with a pointy tale. He asked the class what it was called. I knew but did not raise my hand. I had already told the lovely woman it was a horseshoe crab. The lecturer enlightened us and immediately the girl piped up, pointing at me “that’s what he told me it was!” The lecturer glared at me and my name tag (I had already spoiled several of his earlier questions where he hoped to have us all oooing and aaahhing). “All right, Futral (mis-pronouncing my name like everyone else). I can’t wait until I get you in one of my classes.” I smiled thinking “fat chance, bozo!” Yes, I was in. I had impressed her.

As we walked together between meetings, we discussed highschool senior science fair projects. She said she was interested in doing a biology related project. Maybe one involving dissecting a cat and then labeling all the parts. I told her that I thought it was a good idea. But, she mused, she wasn’t sure where she would get a dead cat.

Boy, I thought, smiling to myself, this just gets better and better. Then in my most suave manner, I told her I could get her one. Her eyes brightened. How? Well, recently in highschool Advance Biology, we dissected a dead cat. These were smelly, disgusting looking animals, filled with embalming fluid and formaldehyde. Teams were set up with one cat per team. Mr. Branham, the biology teacher, had a whole drum full of left over cats. Surely, he had a spare one to give me. She was absolutely grateful that I might be able to get her a dead cat.

The following week I was back in highschool. I approached Mr. Branham after Biology and asked about the cat. I explained I met this really cute girl and she needed one. Mr. Branham smiled and in his deep monotone voice fill with understanding said “I think we can dig one up for you.”

We went into the back storeroom and he lifted the lid to the drum with dead cats. There were maybe seven or eight left. Now, keep in mind, dead cats are pretty disgusting looking, but dead cats from the bottom of the barrel are the most pathetic looking dead creatures I’ve ever seen. Their little paws are covered with tiny mittens so they don’t scratch someone. Their mouths are in an eternal hiss. Their eyes tightly closed. Their limbs stiff, sticking straight out.

And their little bodies flat as a pancake.

Mr. Branham sorted through them and pulled the best looking one out. Still flat, but maybe not quite as flat as the others. He stuck it in a black plastic trash bag.

This was my cat.

After thanking Mr. Branham up and down several times I grabbed the plastic bag, took it home and put in the garage. I called the girl up and arranged to take the cat to her house. We were going to meet there in a couple of days.
Now, I’m a pretty independent guy. I was brought up this way. What I do, is my own business. Especially since I was going to be a big bad college freshman soon. So, I didn’t see anything wrong with not telling anyone I had a dead cat in the garage. It was the garage, for crying out lout. I didn’t take it into the house.

So, I got a little upset when I arrived home, having been gone all day long, and dad approached me telling me he had thrown my dead cat into the garbage. I mean, it was MY dead cat! I didn’t think dad had any right to be throwing a dead cat that wasn’t his into the garbage.

For some reason, I didn’t see the silliness nor the strangeness in this logic.

Then Dad explained to me. “Your mom found the dead cat.”

Uh-oh.

“She was sweeping in the garage and opened the plastic bag and saw the dead cat and went hysterical. She started screaming at the top of her lungs ‘GARY DID THIS TO ME!! GARY DID THIS TO ME!!!’”

Now, I found this a curious thing. Mom immediately assumes that I was the one who put the dead cat in the garage. I had two other brothers. Would it be the fairer thing not to jump to conclusions so fast?

At the time I wasn’t a parent, so I didn’t really understand the thinking pattern. Looking back at it all now, I think I just kind of built a reputation of doing things a little differently from my other two brothers.

By this time I felt pretty bad. Mom was sitting in the den, still a little shaken by the whole ordeal. I went and apologized and glancing back I saw the grin on Dad’s face. He thought the whole thing was a hoot. Dad didn’t throw it away. It was still in the garage.
The day had arrived. I was standing at the door of this pretty woman’s house, dead cat in hand. She opened the door, wearing the most pleasant smile I had seen on anyone.

And then it ended. As soon as I handed the cat to her. The conversation dried up. The smiles were gone.

And then I knew. I had been used for a dead cat. I was being dumped. What utter humiliation!

As I sat, silent, I thought of some way to gain retribution. What could I do? I’m not an overtly mean person. But here I was.

I smiled to myself. Yes. Yes. Here I was and here I was going to stay. I would make the rest of my visit as obnoxious as possible. But I would be the nicest person I could think of being.

I just wasn’t going to leave for a long, long time.

So I sat and talked with her mom. Sat and talked with her brother. (He and I played a game of chess. He beat me. OK! I’m a lousy chess player. That wasn’t the point of the game anyway. That alone must have chewed up an hour). Sat and watched TV. If I recall, I think I even ate dinner with them.

And I could see the impatience building up in her face. It was sweet.

Finally, out of frustration she looked at me. “When are you going to leave?”

I smiled and said, “Pretty soon.” I think I stayed another hour after that. I mean, I had to teach her.

Altogether, I think I stayed a total of over four hours. Three and a half of those hours just being an absolute pain in the rear. It was joyful!

I walked out and hopped on the trusty, old Honda, revved it up and left.

What was I feeling? Well, I guess it’s hard to explain, really. A sense of accomplishment. I had taken a defeat and turned it into - well maybe salvaged a little of my young, impressionable pride is probably the best way of putting it.

Oh! There is an epilogue to this. I ran into her a couple of years later on campus. I asked her how the science fair project went. She used the dead cat, but didn’t win any prizes.

Figures. Lousy idea, anyway.

I’m maybe 8, 9, 10 years old. My ever-creative mother helps me build one of the 400 or so electromagnets in the science fair (If you remember wooden spools, you know these), which is attached to a 6V lantern battery. Gee, the bolt in the spool picks up nails. Whoopee.

I, in my youthful logic, think to myself, “Self–OK, I didn’t think that, Emeril wasn’t around yet–if you can pick up nails on 6V, what can you do with 120?” I proceed to take the two ends of the wire and plug them into the AC. First response, “Ouch!” Second response, “Why is it dark in here all of a sudden?” Third response, “Why is my carpet on fire?”

A quick shift of the bed and desk, and my parents didn’t find out until we moved several years later. But I’ve never, ever, put anything besides a UL listed plug into an electric outlet since.

If you substitute “stupidest” with “most painful” this should count:

In JR high metal shop, we were soldering brass triangles into sailboats. Never having been a handy person, I was having some trouble getting the solder to adhere to the brass. We were using round electric soldering irons. I became so frustrated that I put the iron down, and went to cool off near the drinking fountain.

When I returned, I picked up the soldering iron to continue my project. Everything was fine for a moment, then I realized I had picked the soldering iron up BY THE WRONG END! I felt my skin kind of melt around it. I quickly yanked the iron out of my hand, leaving it stuck in the position that my skin had melted. When I went to the emergency room, they put long lengthwise cuts in my skin so they could open up my hand to bandage it. I wore a bandage “mitten” on my hand for two months.

I’ve done many stupid things, but this is one of my personal favorites.

I was working in the California Conservation Corps as a young lad of 18. Occasionally, kitchen duty would come up and one of my tasks was to buff the dining hall floor. The floor buffer itself was a massive thing weighing in at about 150lbs. It was guided using a set of short stout handlebars with a lever for activating the buffer located beneath the right handlebar, much like the handbrake on a bicycle. One day, I returned from taking a break and, instead of grabbing the handlebars, instead just reached out and lifted up the activating lever to see what would happen. What happened was quite a bit considering that the lever was pressed for less then a second. During this time, the buffer sprang to life whipping violently and rapidly around its center axis. The first revolution caused the hinged handle to centrifically move outward, catching me directly in the groin before continuing on its merry way. Hunched over in surprise and rapidly-blooming pain, the handle was then free upon revolution number two to reaquaint itself with myself via the meeting of the handlebar end with my right temple. Thus poleaxed, I sank gracefully to the ground in a dazed state, finishing up in a foetal tuck. The floor buffer meanwhile ran over its own cord, chewing it in half, and so comitted suicide. Of course stupidity is best enhanced by being witnessed by another party. Just after I touched the lever on the buffer, a young woman upon whom I had designs chose to enter the dining hall, and so viewed in disbelief the mini epic which played out before her. To this day I admire her short-lived attempt to not fall down laughing at me. She managed after a bit to come over and see if I was ok, and eventually we ended up dating for awhile. These days, I tend to use less drastic methods then letting an appliance kick my ass in order to catch someone’s eye.