The Time Has Come to Change the National Anthem!

Now for a word from Walter Kelly’s Pogo:

What about the left? :wink:

As every Brit knows, the correct lyrics are as follows:

Here we go. Here we go. Here we go.
Here we go. Here we go. Here we go-oh.
Here we go. Here we go. Here we go.
Here we go-oh.
HERE! WE! GO!

(and repeat)

As kids we sang:

Oh say can you see
Any bed bugs on me
If you do
Take a few
Cause I got them from you

I doubt we’ll change the anthem, but it would be nice to have a couple of songs as official alternatives.

Or this?

Okay, maybe not classical, but classic, nonetheless.

I don’t remember much, except that there was piano accompaniment. That high note (and the notes leading up to it) by the basses was inspired, and AWESOME!

It’s definitely time to change the words of the Canadian national anthem.

A few years ago there was a huge kerfuffle involving a change to two words of the English lyrics. The change was from “in all our sons command” to “in all of us command”. It was intended to make things more inclusive.

But almost unmentioned were possible changes to the French lyrics.

Here’s an older CBC article that gives a good overview:

I remember how appalled I was when at age nineteen, I first saw those French lyrics carved into the artwork adorning the main hall of the Gare Centrale intercity train station in Montreal.

Even my shaky French was enough to get the gist: “Car ton bras sait porter l’épée, Il sait porter la croix!” (For your arms know how to carry the sword; they know how to carry the cross…) I knew nothing of other religions then, but I already knew about things like the crusades.

These days, of course, after all the revelations of abuse of Indigenous children at the residential schools, to name just one example, I’m surprised it hasn’t come up again.