The trial of Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos)[sentenced to 11+ yrs, 18Nov2022]

They’ve clearly been debating the authenticity of her voice. They’ll get around to the criminal stuff in a bit.

If they actually deliberate using both voices, it’s gonna take twice as long.

They finished today and will continue on Monday 12/27. The jury must have decided that they didn’t want to wait. Earlier today they asked to re-listen to a 2013 phone call to investors that was secretly recorded by one of them.

AP article:

She deserves to be locked away.

The jury has reported that they are deadlocked on three counts and the judge gave them some instructions and asked them to keep trying.

She faces eleven counts (nine wire fraud and two conspiracy) so they have decided on eight counts.

Given that they have decided on most of the counts, does that indicate they she is likely guilty at least some of the decided ones?

Pointless to speculate.

This whole thread is literally about discussion and speculation of the trial. You aren’t required to participate.

Sure, but learning that the jury has decided 8 counts doesn’t give us any information whether it’s convicting or acquitting. We know no more than before. So, it’s “pointless to speculate” based on the new information. We’re all free to keep speculating based on what we knew before.

I’m gonna speculate that they are set to convict on the 8 counts where there is agreement.

I don’t see any way she walks on all of the other 8. Probably guilty on all 8

A lawyer might say that in similar fraud cases, when there are decisions on most of the counts and a small number of deadlocks, certain things are more likely.

Well, most criminal defendants (by a wide margin) get convicted at trial. That’s the safe bet, when a jury can reach an agreement. But that was the safe bet before as well.

I suppose if we knew which 8 had been decided and which 3 were deadlocked, we might be able to have a better informed guess (if the three deadlocked counts were perceived to be the weakest, that would point to conviction on the others. Conversely, if the three deadlocked were the strongest, then the other 8 are probably acquittals.) I don’t know enough about this case to go down that road. Maybe others do.

guility on three counts of wire fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. up to 20 years for each count

Here is a link to the details:

Hmmm. Don’t know what to say about this verdict. I wanted her found guilty on all charges.

According to the NY Times Breaking News article about this:

The mixed verdict suggested that jurors believed the evidence presented by prosecutors that showed Ms. Holmes lied to investors about Theranos’s technology in the pursuit of money and fame. They were not swayed by her defense of blaming others for Theranos’s problems and accusing her co-conspirator, Ramesh Balwani, the company’s chief operating officer and her former boyfriend, of abusing her.

They were also not swayed by the prosecutor’s case that she had defrauded patients. Ms. Holmes was acquitted on four counts related to patients who took Theranos’s blood tests and one related to advertisements that the patients saw.

ETA:
Here’s what jurors decided:

• Count one of conspiring to commit wire fraud against investors in Theranos between 2010 and 2015: Guilty.
  • Count two of conspiring to commit wire fraud against patients who paid for Theranos’s blood testing services between 2013 and 2016: Not guilty.
  • Count three of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $99,990 on or about Dec. 30, 2013: No verdict.
  • Count four of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $5,349,900 on or about Dec. 31, 2013: No verdict.
  • Count five of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $4,875,000 on or about Dec. 31, 2013: No verdict.
  • Count six of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $38,336,632 on or about Feb. 6, 2014: Guilty.
  • Count seven of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $99,999,984 on or about Oct. 31, 2014: Guilty.
  • Count eight of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $5,999,997 on or about Oct. 31, 2014: Guilty.
  • Count nine was dropped.
  • Count 10 of wire fraud in connection with a patient’s laboratory blood test results on or about May 11, 2015: Not guilty.
  • Count 11 of wire fraud in connection with a patient’s laboratory blood test results on or about May 16, 2015: Not guilty.
  • Count 12 of wire fraud in connection with a wire transfer of $1,126,661 on or about Aug. 3, 2015: Not guilty.

Huh, i would have expected she’d be found guilty of defrauding patients.

Me too. So she knew she was screwing the investors but it wasn’t proven that she was lying about results? It’ll be interesting if any of the jurors share their analysis.

But that wasn’t the charge. Specifically it was wire fraud meaning it used electronic communication. If I pay you for a blood test with cash and you give me fake results, it would be fraud but not wire fraud.