The week of unleavened kibble

Sorry, but my dog lurrrves cat food. Especially the really expensive stuff, especially especially when we’ve hidden it from her and she has to eat it in secret. Then it’s ambrosia in a bag. :mad:

Another problem is that cats tends to be extremely particular about their food. One of our cats, Maggie, would probably starve to death before she touches dry cat food.

Do your cats like people food? If it’s really important, we used to serve our one cat chicken cooked in broth on the stove when she was sick. She gobbed that up like you wouldn’t believe.

So do you think all Jews are whacko, or just the ones that profess belief in the divinity of Jesus?

IANAJ, however IIAV. Dogs love catfood. For many reasons (protein levels for one thing) dogs will eat catfood given the chance. It often causes some diarrhea, but they will eat it. :smiley:

Just the ones that care if cat food is leavened or not, in this case. C’mon, give it up, Metacom. You are defending the indefensible.

Hey, look. Who are you to decide how someone else observes their own religion? Many of us Jews make decisions about which rules to follow, which to ignore, and when following or ignoring those rules make sense. I really resent the fact that you consider your co-worker’s behavior absurd. Suppose, for a moment, that you had a co-worker who identified as Christian, but who hardly ever went to church on Sunday and ignored holidays like Pentacost. Would you think that person was absurd or hypocritical if, at Easter, she went crazy finding the traditional lamb for dinner?

I’m sick and tired of having people tell me that I have no right to observe Passover traditions or laws because I don’t follow every single rule of the sect of Judaism I was raised with. Each of us has his or her own tradeoffs and compromises that we make with the majority culture or cultures we live in. Each person makes his or her own decisions on what, when, and how to make those compromises and trade-offs. I’ll decide on my own observance, thank you very much. So will your co-worker. And just because someone else’s observance doesn’t make sense to you doesn’t mean that it doesn’t make sense to them.

I’m sorry if I’m a little pissy about this. I’ve gotten some flack before about the apparent consistency or inconsistency of my relgious observance before.

And I’m also not in the best mood because the first 2 days of Passover, which are usually pretty special for me, were ruined for me more or less entirely by my mother. Which is why I’m even checking the SDMB on the second day of Pesach, which ordinarily I would never do.

I had no desire to hijack this thread. Sorry.

Please…carry on.

And, apparently, I’m so irritated that I can’t figure out that the second sentence only needs one “before.”

Sigh.

I am curious Hilarity.

Does your husband do the whole two sets of dishes and cookware thing, too? I can see how this would really take some thought in the kitchen in order to avoid permanatly contaminating things…if you were not fully on-board, this could cause major strife at home. I have major strife with my housemate who cannot remember to NOT just abandon dirty dishes in the sink…I imagine that adjusting to very different diertary laws would be pretty stressful in general for you!

Neither of those terms has any meaning for me. His group has a Hebew name and once was, but is no longer, affiliated with something called UMJC. United Messianic Jewish Congregations (that is a guess, although I think it’s a pretty good one).

Adopting any religion would be, considering the way I feel about it.

Or to make it a little clearer, it is like he’s having an affair. Not a physical connection with someone else–an emotional one.

No, he does what he calls Torah-kosher, not . . . hmm, the other thing is rabbinical. I have lost the word.

Ah, I think the word I was struggling for a minute ago is “Talmudic” kosher. Although I believe there are other variations.

So, C.K. Dexter Haven, are there things that dogs will not eat? I have known a dog that ate a whole Persian rug (a small area rug–but still) and one that ate approximately half of a 50-lb sack of cat litter, the clumping kind. That one, a Newfoundland, had to have an enema. I did not get to find out how this was performed because her owner and I were eating lunch at the time in a rather crowded Chinese restaurant and we started getting some looks.

I had a dog who used to chew on the back steps, and swallow the pieces that fell off. They were cement (or perhaps concrete–I never can keep those two straight). Not a lot better than clumping cat litter but at least I didn’t have to give her an enema.

I’m sorry, but your tales of things that normal people would not consider to be food (fit for dogs or not) that dogs have eaten are really making me laugh.

Or maybe it’s the comment about not finding out how the enema was performed that is doing it to me. I’m not sure.
Incidently, Scribble, I agree with your asessment that it is between you and your God what kind of religious practices you choose to partake in, so long as it isn’t hurting anyone. I’m not sold on your illustration, but your feeling of frustration with people who assume that if you do “A” you must also do “B” is certainly justifiable. Especially if your relationship is not such that you wish to explain why you do “A” and not “B”. Most of us do things which may be logically inconsistent but appeal to us(not neccessarily with respect to religion).

Scribble, I’m reminded of the heated arguments we used to have at home over whether a BLT was Kasher Le’Pesach (it’s obviously kosher for the rest of the year, yes…? :smiley: ).

Our conclusion? BLT’s are OK during Pesach as long as you make them on Matza. ;j

(That was way before I gave up on the semblence alltogether and started hoarding Pitot a week in advance… now that we have some “civilzed” supermarkets here, I don’t even have to do that anymore)

YMMV

Hey Scribble and Eureka, I was not trying to start a bloody holy war with my observation. :rolleyes:

It just tickled me to see my coworker hoeing down on something SO forbidden by the faith, only to get all conscie about something so relatively minor as toothpaste.

Doesn’t that get your funny-bone wiggling too? :smiley:

kambuckta

I’m not saying you are wrong to find it amusing. But I’ve been attacked enough for my religous beliefs that I’m uncomfortable passing judgement on someone else, no matter how capricious and weird their religous practices appear to be.

Mostly, though, I just thought that Scribble needed a pat on the back and a reminder that she? is not alone in feeling that it is not our business to make judgements on whether it is more important to use the right kind of toothpaste, eat bacon, not let the cat eat leavened kibble or do whatever else it is that someone feels is important to the practice of their religious beliefs.

I fear this post may come off more preachy or holier than thou than it is intended.
But being told what I should find funny just rubs me the wrong way. Scribble came across as being much more defensive than I intended my post (either of them) to be.

Is brewer’s yeast even leavening? I thought it was the byproduct of beer production, with no leavening power at all.

Daniel

Well, I thought it was something put into beer during brewing, but I don’t know. I’ve seen it for sale at health food stores. I have no idea why it would be put into cat food. I mean, the stuff is crunchy! It doesn’t rise!

But then, best not to know what goes into cat food anyway, I say. I am just going to trust Purina that it’s good for my cats.

Nah–I’m pretty sure it’s the brewing leftovers. I just don’t know whether the leftovers are considered unkosher, or if he’s just reading the word “yeast” and jumping to conclusions.

Daniel

Well, the internet seems to be unsure about whether it is used in brewing or is leftover from brewing. But one thing everyone says: it’s a nutritional supplement. It’s good for B vitamins and trace minerals. It’s definitely not being used for leavening.

Cites:

http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/articles/brewersyeast.htm