The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show 2011

Point taken, apologies for the hijack. I’ll bow(wow) out

I HATE those little barky dogs that they display so prominently at those dog shows.

I think Penn and Teller have a specially modified log chipper for creatures such as that . . .

I have a friend who works at Madison Square Garden.
Let’s just say that working backstage, with the dog owners, is less fun than watching the show on television.
Those dog owners are a rather high-strung group of people, to put it mildly.

I wonder which group is worse, the dog show bunch or the preteen beauty pageant folks?

Moderator Note:

This isn’t the place for jokes about feeding dogs into wood chippers. Cool it.

No warning issued.

Part of the problem is everyone is so crammed together. There is hardly room for the dogs and owners, and then the general public comes in and starting pawing everything.

Plus, it’s New York, and it’s winter…

BS, it’s not because it’s NY, or because it’s winter, or because of a lack of room. It’s because these dog show people are nut jobs. The movie “Best In Show” should be required viewing–it so perfectly captured this industry. The “general public” that you are deriding, for the most part like to pet dogs, and believe they should be treated as companions, as opposed to treating them like machines that are not supposed to interact with people.

And don’t get me wrong, I actually like watching the dog show. But, like most viewers (probably) we watch because we think the dogs are cute, and we realize that the “contest” is all a sham (“best in breed,” “best in show” LOFL!).

GET HER BUSY BEE!

I’ll be rooting for the Beardie tonight, unless a particularly cute terrier gets chosen.

:rolleyes: If your experience with dog show people is watching the movie Best In Show, then you have no idea what you are talking about. I, on the other hand, have been exhibiting dogs in various venues for over 40 years. Westminster is not the place to judge whether or not anyone is a nut job.

Pet people seem to think that every dog should be happy to see every person, no matter what the proper temperament might be for that breed. Even those dogs who are stranger friendly get weary when the 737,350,253th walks up and grabs a paw or starts patting their head.

As for treating them like machines, only dogs who are enjoying themselves last long as show dogs. I no longer special show dogs, but I still see handlers playing ball with their charges, taking them for long runs, etc. My competitive performance dogs sleep on the bed when we are on the road.

Folks not involved with a sport shouldn’t make pronouncements based on satire.

I can only speak as to one dog and it’s owners, so for all I know the rest of the owners could all be like the “Best In Show” people (hilarious movie, btw) but the Leonberger I mentioned above *was *treated exactly as any other companion pet at the event we were at. There were 50+ dogs walking together in the parade (most of which were either pets or Adopt Me dogs from shelters) and the owners had no problems with people petting the dog, kids running up to play with/touch it (as I said, it’s a huge dog and most people had never seen one before.) I had no idea they were anything more than regular pet owners until last night.
That said, I don’t actually care who wins, I just watch to see all the pretty dogs and root for “my” breeds (dalmatian & bull terrier.)

Well, except for the HUMAN reputable breeders…who, like all humans, are subject to allowing their will to win to overcome their better judgment. It’s as if you’re saying “no one in sports would use steroids because they know it’s not sound and healthy” or “No corporation pollutes, because it’s not sound or healthy.”

Except, s/he didn’t exaggerate like that. There was clear reference to reputable breeders, and the majority. The thing is, those who breed for the show ring (or performance) are only a small fraction of dog breeders - far more pups are churned out by puppy mills and irresponsible pet owners, without health checks, without proper upbringing. And the same people who complain about purebreds like Pekes will go out and spend thousands of dollars on some designer breeder like a “puggle”, bred by someone only interested in dollar signs.

Or even better, have their own children even tho they know they carry for several genetic diseases… :confused:

Words fail me. At least those that can be used outside of the pit.

Unless you know of humans purposefully selecting close relatives as breeding partners in order to enhance a purely arbitrary, physical attribute for the purpose of glory and cold hard cash and vanity, your example doesn’t work.

Again, people, take the debate on dog breeding, pro and con, elsewhere – either GD or the Pit, depending on your level of emotional involvement. This is a thread about a specific event at which dogs were being shown.

The next time I say this there will be warnings involved.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

sigh

I will never understand why people jump to conclusions about ‘show dogs’ without knowing all the facts.

I have had ‘show dogs’ since 1982. They enter the show ring MAYBE 1% of their lives… the rest of the time, they are just DOGS. They play and wrestle with each other, they dig in the yard, they sleep on my bed. They occasionally get into the trash. They love going for car rides. My Gordon Setters even HUNT, what they were bred to do hundreds of years ago. They get groomed a little more regularly than Rex down the street, but that’s not a bad thing is it?

Having a ‘show dog’ does not mean that the dog lives its life in a kennel or crate, only coming out to strut arount the ring. These dogs are by and large still beloved companions who happen to have a career on the weekends. I didn’t get into showing dogs to make money… HA! If you get into dog shows to make money, you are going to be disappointed and broke. I started showing because I wanted a fun hobby that I could share with my dog…traveling with my dog and some friends and their dogs, tailgate picnics, cheering each other on, taking my 4 legged buddy for walks around the show area, seeing all the different dogs there, meeting new people…

I wish that everyone that thinks ‘show dogs’ are robotic, no personality, unhappy, unhealthy dogs could meet my Nick… Mr. Personality, happy, goofy, silly, sweet, loves everyone and LIVES to strut in the show ring. In a single day he could step from going Best of Breed in the show ring to doing a therapy dog visit in a nursing home to a quick hunt with my friend where he could bring home dinner, and end the day snuggled up with me in bed.

That, my friends, is what a TRUE show dog is all about.

So…
Anyhow…

Yay for the Hickory the Scottish Deerhound.

…we now return to our regularly scheduled bitching about show dogs…

That’s what you think. It sounds more like your dog roped you into chaffeuring him around without paying you a salary. :wink:

Congrats to the deerhound - it is likely one of the uglier dogs to win BIS. I liked the Sealyham, thought s/he had a chance. I own a Scotty and the WKC show is always a highlight of the TV year, not least because my breed actually has a decent shot of winning (based on prior history - 8 wins over 135 shows, including last year’s winner, Sadie.)

I’m partial to cuddly hairy dogs but I thought the Weimeraner (sp?) should have made the cut. Loved the way he moved, and he really had a presence.

A couple things surprised me – that so many of the dogs are “just dogs”, like the ones that are working when they’re not showing – and that some of the dogs are older. One was eight and a half years old! I’ve always thought show dogs were like race horses – your career is over at the age of two or three.

We knew somebody who bred and handled Irish Wolfhounds. She had to get out of that breed because the dogs were dying of old age at 7-8. It was breaking her heart. Wikipedia says that Scottish Deerhounds have a life expectancy of 8 to 9 years. They are wonderful, gentle, loving dogs but I could never, never have one.