The Worst Album By A Band U like

“Tusk” by Fleetwood Mac.

This was the followup to “Rumours,” really? I don’t know if it’s the worst album, but if you compare it…?

I’ll swap you Made in Heaven for Hot Space. It is just awful. I was full blown into my Queen obsession when it was released and of course, I bought it. I had to pretend that I liked it.

I’ll go with Trans :nauseated_face:

Black Sabbath (pre-'81, because I’m unfamiliar with anything they did afterwards): Technical Ecstasy

Apart from this rootin-tootin (George Duke?) keyboard solo, Zappa’s Studio Tan seemed like filler for some hasty contractual obligation. (oh and not a bad little guitar solo a minute or two beforehand. :slightly_smiling_face: )

Stones - Tattoo You - neat front cover.
'the hell’s off that album?

ELP - Love Beach - ok, even better front cover. :crazy_face:

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music - hey if you’re in the mood for some good proto-industrial, fill your boots.

The Jezus Lizard - Down. From this one, onwards, just losing their edge.

Cryptopsy - And Then It Passes - the vocalist for this album (Mike DiSalvo - totally ok dude and knew his Bruins hockey) was a sea-change from the previous vocalist, and didn’t go over well, uh, at all. He was a fine, gruff hardcore vocalist, but not for a brutally heavy, technical deathmetal band, which requires a vocalist who often has to use the time-honored cookie monster vocals (among other lesser vocal delicacies) A friend from a Vancouver band at the time called him Mike DeSwallow. Not to his face. Fuckin eh instrumental parts here and there, though.

Shaggs’ Own Thing was nowhere near as good as the original Philosophy of the World.

King Crimson - In The Wake of Posideon - I thought it was too much a re-hash of Court of the Crimson King, and I liked how their next album - Lizard, was even more jazz-inflected than the previous two albums, bringing on Kieth Tippet on the ivories.

Between the Lick My Decals Off, Baby LP and Shiny Beast LP, Captain Beefheart released two albums that were so watered-down and ‘nice’ sounding - not the captain, at all.

I find Tusk amazing and definitely have always preferred it to Rumours. And that’s not an opinion because Rumours has been played into the ground

The Final Cut is technically not a Pink Floyd album, but a Roger Waters solo album with the other members of Floyd as his backup band.

I only mention this because I referred to it as a Pink Floyd album in another thread on this board a couple years ago, and I was called out on it, so I’m returning the favor :grin:

Well, I guess I could have done 5 minutes of googling BEFORE pulling an “actually…”. It seems The Final Cut IS an official Pink Floyd album, though it is considered to essentially be Roger Water’s first solo album.

It isn’t a Roth era album, it’s the last of the Van Hagar era.

Wot he said. No Queen fans like that album. There’s probably reason for it, touring, too many albums for too short a time. Freddy wanting solo career.

As I said elsewhere, Hot Space is the bad one for me.

I don’t even count Made in Heaven as a Queen album. It’s more of a tribute by the remaining three after his death, and with the protracted nature of that, Freddy wasn’t doing vocals with the band for probably six or so years before this album.

Now, don’t get me wrong. Naked is a fine, middle of the road pop/rock album. The issue is Talking Heads made their career by not being an average pop/rock band.

Maybe it is just having been spoiled by the three great albums with Brian Eno, I don’t know. I would ask what your favourite song off of Naked is?

Not too familiar with APP besides getting stoned and listening to their CDs in college with a bunch of people in my dorm. Last night I streamed Eye in the Sky and then Eve.

Eye in the Sky seemed bleh once you got past the cool introduction and then Eye in the Sky, which I knew from the early MTV era. I quite liked Eve, however.

Well, to each their own. I beg to differ.

Probably Blind, but just off the top of my head, not having listened to the album in awhile, I also really like Mr. Jones, Ruby Dear, and of course (Nothing But) Flowers (“if this is paradise I wish I had a lawnmower”)

I actually really enjoyed AMLR and its follow-up The Division Bell. It was very different from previous Floyd albums, which was to be expected after losing/evicting a founding band member. I think I have to agree with @glowacks that The Final Cut was worse as it seemed they just phoned it in.

I think the worst Rush album would have to be 1989’s “Presto”. It was soon after their renaissance of the 80’s and trying to find themselves in the post-grunge rock scene. They course corrected soon after with “Roll The Bones”.

The worst Squeeze album would have to be UK Squeeze (which the band was also called for a time, until it got out from under the legal impediment posed by a forgotten U.S. band called Tight Squeeze).

In spite of (or because of) being produced by John Cale, it includes pretty dreadful songs like “Sex Master” and “Bang Bang”, and the horrendously titled but not objectionable instrumental “Wild Sewerage Tickles Brazil”. Overall it hardly sounds at all like the group’s future ethos of the devil-may-care-but-unlucky-in-love-young-man-about-London. “Take Me I’m Yours” is one I’ve always liked, though.

For The Who, I’m tempted to single out their first two albums, which aside from a couple of hit songs are loaded with semi-dreck and stuff that John Entwistle wrote in his creepy junior high school phase. But the truly worst for me is “Live at Leeds”, which has atrocious sound quality and features endless versions of mediocre songs that would’ve been better left off the recording.

I said a Young Man
Ain’t got nothing in the world these days
Blah blah blah blah blah

I know that the point of these kinds of threads is not to argue with people’s opinions, but I have to say that Presto is one of my favorite Rush albums.

That was a tossup for me between “Presto”, “Test for Echo” and “Hold Your Fire”. I chose Presto because of its lack of a real rock song (except maybe Superconductor). While I enjoyed a lot of the lyrics (“Anagram for Mongo”, the title track, and “Available Light”), the music just failed to grab me. Their follow-up album “Roll the Bones” brought back the guitar-driven sound that I fell in love with during the “Moving Pictures” and “Power Windows” era.

For me a band full of 17 to 20 year old’s should sound like a band full of hormone fueled teenage angst, so I cut them some slack on their early works . I also like Live at Leeds because it captured the energy of a Live performance that wasn’t really done too well previously, it was a balls to the wall rock and roll performance IMHO and a lot of critics agree.

If I had to pick a disappointing Who album it would be “Face Dances”, with Keith Moon departed the band really started showing their age and their studio albums became boring.

Huh. While I Do think that Bungle in the Jungle is pretty bland compared to SA(otTIoaND), not only would I have thought that Aqualung and Thick as a Brick would have outsold A Passion Play, I definitely prefer the latter to Songs from the Wood. Then again I haven’t listened to Songs from the Wood in over a decade so maybe I should break it out again and give it a whirl.

Now, that preference is slightly a guilty pleasure, because A Passion Play almost feels like fanservice in that they are giving me more classic Tull in exactly the way that I want instead of pushing boundaries, but I can’t help the way I feel.

I was also a big Who fan - saw them a few times, bought all of the non-modern albums. I totally agree on Live at Leeds, especially the remaster. Somewhere along the line Entwistle commented that LAL was the only album where you could hear his bass the way he hears it, rumbling with the gain turned up.

As for the worst Who album, eh, not sure I have one. It’s Hard & Face Dances are both mediocre, but both also have good songs. If pressed, I’d go along with Face Dances. The early stuff is still near & dear to me because of when I first listened to it.