The year 2000

ARG220: Nov 7 1917 was the date of the October Revolution in Russia. Some here may view it as a positive step (like me), others will markedly differ in their assessment, but it’s not something I think people of the next millennium would soon forget.

Incidentally, beatle, the battle of Hastings was on October 14th.

Cave Diem! Carpe Canem!

1929-1945, the years to develop penicillin.That’s when we went wrong, and will only find out just how badly, in about 50 years. The one cell organisms will be victorious!

falcon2:

You interpreted correctly. I’d just like to add that it is not just PCs, it applies to Unix machines as well (which is where the PCs got it from).

Around 2037 or though, there may be some busy programs recompiling Unix programs to use a larger word size (the Unix date is number of seconds from 1/1/1970, and if it is stored (as is common) in a 32 bit word it runs out around then.

Agincourt, beatle, was of course on St. Crispin’s Day! (October…something)

So Jan 1, 1970 is a defining date because it will occur twice?

Easy-The Pill.

What happened then?

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

Rilchiam -

You know. Kittyhawk? Wilber and Orville? And a big kite?

That’s right. They discovered electricity! :slight_smile:

For fun, I set the time & date on a “luggable” 386-25 to 23:59:00 on 12-31-99 to see what would happen. A minute later, I typed “date” again and it returned 1-1-2000. That old machine isn’t capbable of accepting 2000 entered manually, but it will show up on the date.

“Age is mind over matter; if you don’t mind, it don’t matter.” -Leroy “Satchel” Paige

I’ll go with Aug. 14, 1945, the end of what we all hope will be the last world war and the beginning of an era of prosperity unthinkable for previous generations.

I vote against the moon landing because I don’t think that it was all that significant. Swell, people walked on the moon, but did that really change anything? I’d agree that it was a day of great symbolic importance, reflecting the huge advances in technology that had been made in the previous decades. Maybe people 500 years from now will think it was more important than the end of the Second World War. Maybe they won’t.

By the way, Modern Times is well worth reading, even for people like Olen whom it is sure to infuriate (no offense meant) because of Paul Johnson’s conservatism. Johnson believes that the three people who most influenced this century were Einstein, Marx, and Freud, and that their ideas paved the way for the moral relativism that he claims dominated the 20th century.