There is a God (No John Madden announcing. No more)

Also, who knows if Yogi really said it? He never said half the things he said, after all.

“And then kinda out, too, and then…that’s probably because it’s a…a cantilever. This is a cantilever field. And, yaknow, ‘cantilever’ I think means this stuff where we’ve got this overhang. See, I think…I think when you go up and come out like that, that means ‘cantilever’…or that’s what ‘cantliever’ means. And we got a cantilever stadium here and…and then we’re up above in the cantilever…the cantilever’s over our head and we’re up above lookin’ down.” - John Madden rambling during a game at the University of Washington.

Right. My guess is that a lot of Madden’s quotes, like the cow jumping over the moon one, are just apocryphal. And many shouldn’t be taken seriously if they are legit.

I always enjoyed Madden. I get why he is hated. But, I thought he did a great job of making the game accessible to a wider audience, while giving interesting insider perspectives.

Collinsworth is a lot better than I thought he would be. He always appeared so smarmy on Inside The NFL; I didn’t think he would be tolerable for the 3 hours of a game. He’s just fine. He offers plenty of good insights and mixes it with some good humor. One thing that I find lacking is that I don’t feel like the game is huge when he is broadcasting as I did with Madden. Maybe over time Collinsworth will exude that big game vibe as much as Madden did.

xx

Oh Dallas no! Now Dallas who’s Miami going to tell me 49ers all about the Raiders (did I mention Dallas?) great teams Pittsburgh of the Dallas 80s Dallas?

Lou Holtz is still allowed to flap his juicy jowls on TV. With Madden gone, now you can focus your hatred where it belongs.

Thank you, you read my mind. I guess my life would be a little poorer without my and my brother’s impression of Holtz, but still. And then there’s Lee Corso…

Not so fast my friend!
Concentrate on Dukie V!

I miss the Summerall/Madden combo most of all from back in the day. I think they were the best.

I might throw you Summerall/Brookshire, but Madden was a big tub of goo with nothing to say. Ever. Boom!

Lou Holtz… Good call on that slobbery bastard. His tongue is twice as big as the average human’s. He might be popular with the ladies, but announcing? Sheesh. I have to wipe the screen down every time he does an “S”-laden sentence.

[Buddy Hinton]
Baby talk, baby talk, it’s a wonder you can walk!
[/Buddy Hinton]

And I honestly think Dickey V’s head is going to explode on national tv. BAY-BEEE! But let’s try to keep this dear old thread to football.

Oh, and I almost forgot. How great is it not to have Tony “Have I mentioned I am Jewish in the last 10 minutes?” Kornheiser on the Monday Night Team? I think they might have a good combo there finally. Mike Tirico is a class act, and Gruden is much better than I thought he’d be.
Still, no John Madden. Al Michales must be thanking strangers on the street.