They Call It Immigration Fraud, But Haven't Arranged Marriages Been Around for Years?

The more and more stories I read about immigration and marriage, and the more anecdotal evidence I hear (plus first hand accounts from friends who’ve been through it) I am more and more of the opinion that immigration services deliberately target obviously genuinely married couples - often who both speak English - because such couples are easier to process and check off.

It’s much easier for them to kick up a fuss about Mrs and Mr Brown with their seven kids, then at the end of the day say OK - yes - we’ve done our job, crossed every i and t - these two people are definitely married. It’s MUCH easier to prove two people are properly married, than that they aren’t.

That after a couple have married, and had a baby together, Immigration still rings up regularly months and years later to “check” the validity of their marriage to my mind constitutes harassment and invasion of privacy. If it happened to me, I would attempt to make legal history by suing their sorry asses off…

Ooner et. al., the things INS does to check up are relatively straightforward, and there’s much less of the “what color is her toothbrush?” kind of question than you might think. IANAL, but I used to be an interpreter in Immigration Court for cases like these, and the questions tend towards the “how did you meet? is she on your health/life insurance? have you met her family/friends/co-workers, and do they know you’re married? do you have any joint bank/credit accounts, and have you ever made any major purchases together?” Or sometimes, even “so what attracted you to him/her in the first place?”

However, I think one would have to be pretty boneheaded not to be able to fool INS (not that I would ever recommend such a thing, of course!).

Maybe we just had a really skewed sample because we were seeing the ones that ended up in deportation proceedings, but my personal favorite had to be the one where some sharp-eyed INS investigator noticed that the name of the father listed on the birth certificate of the children born immediately before and during the marriage was the husband’s brother, who was married to someone else. Under questioning, the wife admitted that she’d been having an affair with a married man who wouldn’t leave his wife, and he’d asked her to do him a little favor by marrying his brother so he could stay in the U.S. She complied, but when asked whether the marriage had ever been consummated, the answer was, “No way did I ever let that jerrk lay a hand on me!” (Why she let the jerk’s brother impregnate her, twice, however, was apparently another story."

When the “husband” was questioned, however, his reponse was, “Yes, we consummated many times!” And when asked why he married a woman who had given birth to his brother’s child less than a month before, his response: “Well, at first I was upset, but then I decided I really loved her, so I forgave her.” (By this point, I couldn’t decide whether to puke or fall on the floor laughing.) He could not, however, articulate anything about what had attracted him to her or even how they had met.

It’s true, folks, some people really are that stupid. As for whether legitimate marriages are intentionally targeted: I doubt it, although I don’t know how one would obtain reliable information on that point. In my 3+ years in immigration court, though, I saw maybe 2 marriage fraud cases where I thought the couple might conceivably have been legit. I think the rest of the time, either the marriage is legit, or the parties aren’t quite that totally stupid.

You are exactly right - and it is a myth still perpetuated by the TV (which never lies) and movies. When I asked some people at work in general, all well-educated engineers and scientists, 100% of them thought all you had to do to be a US citizen was to just marry a citizen. They had images of the INS Police screaming up to a wedding in patrol cars, running up the isle, and just as the bride says “I do”, stopping in their tracks, saying “Curses! Foiled again!”, and returning with sunken heads. :rolleyes:

IIRC, the Fiancee K1 Visa is the quickest and easiest way to become a citizen through marriage. And I think that if you circumvent the K1, through any means, it takes much, much longer - it can be done, but it takes more time, effort, money, and lawyers.

I’m currently in the middle of petitioning for a green card for the Bride of Irae (Young Miss Irae, or, more formally, Her Most Tiny Majesty, is a dual national).
We’ve submitted the intital petition, (documents and forms regarding our identities, marriage license, photos), mailed a second set of forms (basically redundant), and are waiting for a date for an interview.
At the interview (which I’m not invited to attend), the Bride will be asked to show results of her physical, her police records, and her birth certificate .
<hijack>
She’ll also have to show them the dreaded I-864. This form (required since ‘97) is a contract between the government and myself. Should the Bride receive any public assistance before she’s worked in the US for 10 years, I’m required to reimbuse them for it. It also demonstrates that I’ve earned 125% of the poverty level for the past three years in order to validate my sponsorship.
Actually, the form demonstrates no such thing. Since all of my income has been earned abroad, my official income for tax pusposes was, er… nothing. :eek:
Luckily, the Uncle of the Bride of Irae is able to joint-sponsor the petition. It’s a lot to ask of someone, I think. I’m very grateful to him, and wish it hadn’t been necessary. What’s the story here? You can make as many Little Americans as you want without coming under a contractual obligation to keep them above the poverty line (~$18k for a household of 3). Her Most Diminutive Excellency, who has never touched the soil of the Homeland™, is a citizen, and my financial obligations to her are grounded in nothing more than my personal committment. Okay, more than that, even. But I didn’t have to fill out forms and nobody asked for a cup of Her Smallish and Esteemed Highness’ pee.) Let’s track down some deadbeat dads and make them fill out a bunch of forms…
</Hijack>
I can tell you for sure, though, that it costs about 300 bucks and, so far, no lawyers. Touch wood

If you’re from the INS, I’m sorry about the “™” after Homeland, okay?