Things famous actors do today that they never did before

Don’t you mean Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels?

I get them mixed up, you are correct.

And The Twilight Zone.

Get ripped.

Up until about 20 years ago, leading actors were usually in good physical shape, but the only ones who really cared about muscle definition were your bodybuilders like Arnie or Sly, or martial artists like Bruce Lee or Van Damme. Look at 80’s-era stars like Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson or Bruce Willis: their bodies looked good, definitely, but normal human good. Now, your average male star is expected to undergo six months of work by a personal trainer and have body fat of no more than 2% for just one shirtless scene in a major Hollywood picture.

The turning point, I think, was Brad Pitt in Fight Club. When Hollywood realized they could get non-athlete to look like Greek statues, there was no going back.

Just because this needs more love, here’s a UK television commercial from 2015 starring Sylvester Stallone. He’s selling bread.

I remember being stunned when Robert Patrick parodied his Terminator 2 character on Wayne’s World.

I also liked when Edgar Wright multi-level referenced that aforementioned scene when Spaced had Olivia Williams parody her character from The Sixth Sense.

That’s what makes me oblivious! :slight_smile:

Incidentally, people often refer to that sketch as “insulting” Trek fans. But I was in college when that episode of SNL first aired, and was watching it along with a bunch of my friends, devoted Trekkies every last one of us. We all thought the sketch was hilarious.

Is this advertplaying in the US?

It was very common in the early days of TV, where ads were even integrated into the story.

Here’s Humphrey Bogart selling Lucky Strike Cigarettes on The Jack Benny Show

And here’s him doing an ad for Chesterfield cigarettes from radio days. Evidently Bogart was loyal to whatever brand was paying him.

John Wayne did ads for Camels when he was one of the biggest movie stars in Hollywood.

Jay Silverheels’ 1970 Chevy Blazer commercial.

Jay Silverheels and Clayton Moore both flacking for Jeno’s Pizza Rolls.

And, of course, Jay’s famous appearance on Johnny Carson.

Heck, even The Flintstones sold cigarettes.

This thread reminds me of Sir John Gielgud’s famous answer as to why he agreed to appear in Caligula: “For the work, dear boy. For the work.

Mind you, a cynical person (and I don’t necessarily exclude myself from that category) might translate this as “I needed the bread, yo.” But hey, nothing says that even classically-trained British actors don’t ever look at a script and say, “It’s not Shakespeare, but it could be a laugh. Sign me up.”

Seems to me it was usually the Americans who considered themselves “Actors.” The Brits tended to approach it like any paid professional, be it plumber, electrician, whatever.

Except Alan Swann, of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sly himself was no Greek* statue when they began making Rocky in 1975. In a ‘making of’ documentary on the 25th anniversary DVD, they showed test footage of Sly sparring. Someone (John Avildsen?) remarked on the jelly roll around his waist, and remembered that they’d had to prod him to get in sufficient shape to credibly portray a boxer. And even after he did, his condition in the original was way less cut than he was in III and IV.

*Wouldn’t he have been a Roman one? :slight_smile:

For that matter, perhaps he wouldn’t even be considered a Roman statue. Stallone is only half Italian in ancestry. He father was born in Italy. His mother was partly of French (or perhaps more precisely of Breton, which is might be considered Celtic) ancestry and partly of Ukrainian Jewish ancestry. His background was not much like that of the character of Rocky. His family was somewhat more well-off than Rocky’s. Stallone went to American College of Switzerland for the first part of his college career, later transferring to the University of Miami.

Duplicate

I was going to mention this as well and add how Robert De Niro went the other way and famously gained 60-70 lbs to transform himself from peak Jake LaMotta to bloated Jake LaMotta for Raging Bull (1980).