Things I've learned about myself during the pandemic

Because I didn’t think anyone would be interested. I guess I forgot that we are all bored to tears!

I really love people, I am a tactile person
I TOUCH FACE VERY MUCH, CONSTANTLY
shopping is my favorite pastime, I save a lot of money on quarantine
I’m shocked how progress has moved and how skype made life easier
freedom of movement is the main freedom given to us by the constitution

When our school district shut down and sent us home to work on line, it was March 17, and I did not return to work in any capacity until May 1. What I discovered is that it is okay that I have many more years to work because I am in no way ready to retire and stay at home. After the first week, I was bored as hell. You can only watch so many movies, read so many hours, and go on so many runs before it gets old.

Exactly this for me! I am glad that I am not the only one.

I’ve learned that I’m quite happy not going out much, but feel desperately in need of my foreign holidays otherwise I’m miserable. It’s not just the two weeks away, it’s the joy I get from several months of planning and dreaming. A lack of a trip to look forward was starting to make me feel a bit depressed, if I’m honest.

I did actually manage to sneak in a trip to France and am in 14 day quarantine as a result - IT WAS WORTH IT

My biggest revelation is that I actually have preferences when it comes to hand sanitizers. You go to use the store-provided stuff, and “Oh god, it’s that slimy one!”

As someone recovering from alcohol disorder it’s always fun to get the “surprise tequila” sanitizer. IDK if anybody else has run into that one.

My habit of carrying my own pocket sized bottles of hand sanitizer has come in very handy, especially when folks have died because of using sanitizer made with methanol. Sometimes us germaphobes get things right!

I’ve also learned that I really, REALLY get all kinds of twitchy when I’m in a building other than my home or outbuildings. All I want to do is get done and leave. I’m also not very happy at open air events, too many people in the same area also makes me twitchy. I hope I get over it when this is all over, but seeing as how it will never be all over, I will probably not get over it.

I’ve learned that my wife and I will do just fine in retirement. She was a real road warrior in the before times (200k + air miles every year), and I used to joke that retirement would be a real challenge, having spent so much time apart. Nope. Turns out we still really like each other. She sews as a hobby, I cook. We both like to read. We both like wine. We have a pool. We are all set.

She was planning to retire in a few years, but for various reasons might bump the date up. I ran the numbers on our expenditures for the last quarter, and even allowing for travel when that becomes possible, we should do just fine with our current retirement savings plus her pension. It’s been a good experiment/rehearsal for when she is done with working for a living.

I don’t miss the rush hour traffic. I was already WFH three days a week prior to COVID, so staying home isn’t that much of an adjustment. I’ve actually gotten to know my coworkers better through Zoom. One of them hosts a music lounge on Thursdays, and it’s fun to have a listening party like the old days.

Same here. I previously thought that I would only like to work from home maybe two days a week. I have been working from home now since mid March. Only been to two restaurants, ate outside, (besides some take out) and it’s just fine. My Wife and I play either chess or gin rummy nearly every night, and I’m FINALLY starting to learn how to play guitar. I dread the idea of going back to the office, and may never have to. Our team has proved this works just fine.

We get a LOT of snow where we live. Being able to set my own work hours and thus plow during daylight is going to be a big help. Coming home from work, hiking up the drive and getting the plow truck going in the dark frankly sucks. Now I’ll be able to at least do it in the daylight.

We live in ski country, so everyone is expected to make it to work no matter the weather. My Wife and I live remote, and are the only people that live on our ‘road’, getting to pavement and plowed roads gets dicey. That concern will be pretty much gone. I can wait for the county to eventually plow it or do it at my leisure.

Same here, but not through Zoom, through IM’s on Slack.

I’ve always liked grocery shopping. But during slowdown it seemed psychologically important.

Having some nice open parks around is really important.

I believe in Dogs. Really, we should aspire to be more like them in many ways.

I don’t really need bars. I like restaurants and can live without them. Fast food, too. But there are opportunity costs with cooking or making your own croissants, bagels, pretzels, buns, baguettes, pizza or brioche - all of which are straightforward to make (who knew?)

I value other people but can live without them - if I have Internet and a gazillion books.

Me too.

As soon as I figure out how to get really good sourdough bread and bagels show up on my doorstep I could do this for a looonng time.

When I retired, I was really burnt out. I felt like I’d worked for 30 years straight with no break.
Which was somewhat true. I changed jobs a few times but went from one to another without a break. I took vacations but I still had to deal with crises.

Retiring was a project in and of itself. I had to wind down my business, get rid of 30 years worth of stuff and renovate my apartment. It was a stressful year. I took care of the last of my move in March.

People kept telling me I’d get bored, I’d want to work and be productive. My response was - no, I think I’ll be happy lying in bed, watching TV and playing with my iPad all day every day for at least a year.

It hasn’t been a year, but so far I’ve been proven right. No sign of it getting old yet. I still don’t feel like working - I went ahead and applied for my SS, my payments start in two weeks.

I hadn’t pursued the option of telework for years because I thought it would be too much trouble to set up the home station and (more importantly) it would interfere with maintaining separation of work and personal time. I found that neither, particularly the latter, is the case.

I also found that I’m even less ritual-oriented than I thought. For the first week, I maintained the practice of dressing for work before settling down at the work computer; I noticed no difference after I decided that was silly and switched to just throwing on a button-down shirt for (rare) teleconference meetings.

To get value things really value, life, sharing with friends, going out with freedom.

Same coffee different source maybe??

According to Moneywise
Take, for instance, Kirkland brand coffee. At least some of these items are made by Starbucks. How do we know this? Well, it’s right on the label! Yes, when it comes to the two-and-a-half-pound bags of coffee varieties like Kirkland’s Signature House Blend Medium Roast, Espresso Blend Dark Roast, and Decaf House Blend Medium Roast, they come labeled with a “Custom roasted by Starbucks” stamp.

Costco carries an actual Starbucks French roast brand. It’s a bit over-roasted for my taste. I prefer their brand called Charleston… something… that’s a lot more mellow and affordable.

Not saying Costco coffee is the absolute best, just that I find it a great Pareto solution (relative to super-premium brands, it’s like 80% as satisfying but 20% of the cost).