Things other people find relaxing/unwinding but you find stressful

Yeah, we’re moving to a new house partly because my wife is fed up with us living on busy street about a 1/8th mile from I-20. She doesn’t like the noise. I’m going to miss it because I really do find it relaxing.

But, I do have limits. Trying to go to sleep in a hotel room on 5th avenue in NYC on a Friday night was not easy.

This morning my gf asked me to apply moisturizer to her back after she showered (as she does, maybe once a week during the winter). Man, I hate the greasy feeling it leaves on my hands. After applying it, I always wash my hands, but they are still greasy feeling, so I splash some alcohol on them.

I, too, have always hated the sensation of applying any type of lotion on my skin, and just a little less applying it on someone else’s.

Try sleeping during the day in midtown Manhattan, across the street from construction. I often went to my night job having gotten no sleep whatsoever.

Heheeh, I can imagine. I’ve slept during the day while they were renovating my kitchen and re-roofing my house. I wouldn’t have made it without alcohol and earplugs.

Staying / working in my pajamas. I recall, before COVID, people wishing they could work from home, in part because they could stay in their pajamas. Once I’m out of bed I feel downright agitated until I have some kind of regular clothes on, even if it’s leggings and a t-shirt.

Oh, and I am one of those who always has the tv on for background noise. It’s due to loneliness, I guess.

Similar thought - I can’t stand roaming around the house in a robe or pj’s. It drives me crazy. It makes feel like I stayed home sick. If I’m just lounging around the house all day, I’ll put on sweats or some other comfy pants (comfy shorts when it’s warm). The shirt depends on the season/weather. I also change into that type of outfit after work. I could never sit on the couch and relax in a pair of jeans or some other structured pants nor as mentioned above, in a robe! :confounded:

I’m okay with jazz but Mozart! I find Mozart stressful. I don’t dislike it, but I can’t listen to it if I’m tired. My brain keeps trying to figure out the patterns, I suppose. Everyone loves Mozart. Not me, it’s too hard to listen to.

+1

I can’t stand sunscreen. Greasy nasty stuff. I feel stressed just from the sensation of it sticking to my clothes, moving around… I rarely use any other lotion, but when I do it’s carefully targeted to the area in need, and I wash my hands thoroughly when I’m done.

I’m with you guys in loathing the lotions. Just ugh. Moisturizers? Umm, I could just rub coconut oil or butter all over my hands, and it’ll feel the same to me. And if I did that instead, I could at least lick it off my fingers.

I’ve got two.

(1) Trying to listen to music while driving in traffic. I get an unwanted sense of clashing rhythms: the rhythm of the music is totally different from the ebb and flow rhythm of the traffic around me, and there’s no way to reconcile them without driving like an idiot. So I usually switch to news / talk radio instead, which prevents this problem.

(2) I am recalling a friend who found great relief taking off his shoes and socks. Having lived in Japan for years, I have adopted the custom of taking my shoes off just inside the front door of my house, and use slip-ons almost exclusively. So it’s just not a big deal to take off shoes. Living in a cold climate, I like having socks on. Not stressful to take them off, but not desirable either.

ETA
Oo, I agree, I don’t like lotions / sunscreens on me. Would prefer loose, covering clothes / hats to smearing yuck all over myself, and particularly, having it on my hands.

Same here about working at home in PJ’s. I have to get a shower and get into my ‘work clothes’ which is and has been at home or not jeans and whatever on top. Today I have a bit of an excuse because I started working at 3:30 am to get to something to update a guy in different time zone.

I’m another one that cannot relax around the house with shoes on. I always take my shoes off at the door and put on slippers or in the summer flip-flops. It drives me crazy to see someone in a movie or on TV laying on the couch or on a bed with shoes on. I even kick off my slippers if I’m going to have my feet up on the couch. It just seems so uncomfortable and clunky.

And unsanitary.

Meditation, by far. The moment I sit down for “meditation” that’s when my mind goes into review mode, arranging memories, voice, video and music clips, and generally performing a noisy dusting of the mental infrastructure. Completely frustrating and an utter waste of time. I marvel at the people who can meditate, even for a minute.

Attending parties, gatherings, and, especially, weddings.

As soon as I know I have to go I start anticipating the moment the event will be behind me.

mmm

What you describe is exactly the Drunken Monkey that beginners in meditation face. I was that way, at first, like most everyone. I use focusing on my breathing as a help to sedate the monkey. After enough honest, unforced attempts at letting go, extremely cool things start to happen, with the end result of a deep, true relaxation.

I’ve been fighting this when trying to fall asleep since I was a teenager. I finally had to go with a combination of background noise and medication, because my brain absolutely will NOT shut up voluntarily. It has to be bullied into submission.

Same here.

I didn’t find it out until my 30s, but apparently my mother had me evaluated for “hyperactivity” (no one called it AD(H)D until the late 80s or so) when I was a fairly young child-- maybe first grade, and was told that I was negative.

The goalposts have shifted. I wonder what 7-year-old me would be called now.

It is fun to tell people that “I’m not crazy-- my mother had me tested.”

I’m hoping for a flashback episode on Young Sheldon.

Oh yes that post work shedding of clothes, everything comes off, bra first, then the belt on my jeans, jeans next, then socks, shirt, finally underwear. Loveliest feeling in the world to shed those clothes I’ve been in all day. I redress with freshly laundered lounging attire, skipping the bra and socks. Soooo relaxing!