Things PC users should know before switching to the Mac

I don’t think it would have changed my mind, but when I switched from a PC and bought an iMac 2 years ago, I had no idea I’d be wasting so much paper and ink, or it would take me a so many steps in order to print just a single page from a multi page document. I’d really like it if Apple added the ability to print a certain page or selection like you can in Windows.

Macs actually do have that feature! When you go to File > Print, you see the printer name and the presets toggles, right? Click the blue arrow (it’s pointing down) to reveal more print functions, including print selection options.

Thank you!! I thought I had tried everything by now, I’ve asked other mac users, etc. How did I miss that button all this time.

Happy!

In the future -
OS X has built-in help. Go to the help menu and type “print range.” One of the results says:

I had searched, used help (although I don’t think I used the word “range”), asked other mac users for this. I don’t get it. Maybe everyone was playing a trick on me - don’t tell FallingLeaves about this one…

Now I just feel stupid, but eh, I’ll get over it.

We now return you to the real things PC users need to know before switching to the Mac.

But you can’t switch to a minimized program with Cmd-Tab. Unless I’m missing something, the only way to switch to a minimized program is to click on it. I don’t like that a lot of the Mac’s mouse commands have no keyboard equivalent.

Well, that’s “True,” in the sense that selecting a program using cmd-tab keeps the current window state. Remember, in OS X, Programs don’t get minimized, Windows do. So, if I have 25 windows open in Photoshop, and 24 of them are minimized, it would be obnoxious to have cmd-tab unminimize them all when I selected it.

If you really need to do this from the keyboard, you can do it with DragThing (which I highly recommend).

If you’re on a notebook, you don’t need those. Swipe three fingers along the trackpad to either move all the way up or all the way down to the bottom of a page. Check out the four-fingered swipe while you’re at it.

D’oh! As stated on post #2

Three-finger swiping doesn’t do anything for me in Safari.

I think you may be referring to two-finger swiping, which scrolls the page up and down.

In any case, as I’m browsing, say, the SDMB and reading my threads, pressing a single PageDown button is 100 times easier and more convenient that having to put two fingers on the track pad and scroll down.

Three finger swiping is a relatively new addition, so you may not have that. Space bar functions as PageDown in most cases.

edit: Shift-space bar is PageUp.

thanks!
as a long time Mac user, I have wondered what the differences are between using a Mac and using a PC. While I certainly have used PCs, I have done so only for specific functions and so don’t really have any understanding of how to operate them in general. This list points out several features on both machines that I find interesting.
And I agree about the docking station-I guess Apple didn’t want to go to the expense of putting the special connector on the laptop (docking stations require a special connector?). Too bad, it is a convenient feature.