Things to do in Minneapolis, MN

Remember, you’re only a 45 minute drive away from the largest ball of twine on earth.

I went to high school with one of the owner’s kids. At least at that time - it was a long time ago. Never been though.

fisha, gazelle used to organize the Dopefests. She hasn’t been around for a long time. We used to get together for lunch once in a while - usually six or eight people would show. You can try and pull something together - post a thread and see what the interest is.

I was just remembering a picture of what someone claimed to be the biggest ball of twine . It is a travesty. It is not even spherical. Those backwards Kansasans (what do you call someone from Kansas?) could not even design a truck wheel ball support to allow a proper SPHERICAL ball of twine. I’m an ELECTRICAL engineer, and could easily have done that. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll get to work…

There’s a nice bar + diner downtown on Nicollet Mall called The News Room. Eat at the bar and get the hot wings with “rusty” sauce.

The last couple of times I was in Minneapolis, I stopped at Dreamhaven Books. They specialize in fantasy and science fiction, one of the clerks knows George R. R. Martin, and they’re really, really nice. Lots of authors visit there, so they’ll have signed copies.

We got lost when we left and ended up driving on a street of gorgeous old homes, near a lake.

A couple of other museums that you might visit when in Minneapolis. These are both rather unique; you won’t find ones like this anywhere else in the country.

Museum of Questionable Medical Devices (actually located in the Science Museum, across the river in St. Paul.

The Bakken Museum & Library of Electricity Located in a mansion near the shore of Lake Calhoun, this was founded by Earl Bakken, inventor of the heart pacemaker (founder of Medtronic), and features exhibits on electricity & life.

Gotta second this; I was in Minneapolis in '98 or so (when the museum was on that river-walk type thing) and stumbled in, wondering what kind of a business had a sign with nothing but a big question mark on it. It was fascinating and occasionally horrifying: “They used to stick THOSE in their WHAT???”

The Walker Museum is excellent as well; I’d definitely recommend it if you have a free afternoon.

I third the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices. The Bakken Museum is interesting, but I got kicked out, so watch your behavior.*

While Black Forest is OK, for German I prefer Gasthof zur Gemutlichkeit in Northeast Mpls. The only tobacco I ever imbibe is the snuff there.

Another neat museum is the American Swedish Institute, which according to my man has some of the most beautiful stained glass he’s ever seen.

And

well, thanks for nothing, I guess.

• They have an animatronic Frankenstein skit, and there’s a “monster” under a sheet on a table. I wanted to see what was under the sheet, so I lifted it and set off the alarms.

If you’re in our fair cities, GO SEE SOME LIVE THEATRE, for god’s sake.

That’s what we’re great at.

:wink: Pop open the City Pages, and catch some shows. All our little playhouses have some great stuff. Catch “BUSH IS BAD” at the Old Arizona playhouse on Nicollet – great little blackbox theatre (say hi to Darcy and Elizabeth, the owners, on behalf of Elly of Upstage! and tell them I sent you and told you to be SURE to line up for COOKIES at intermission… they bake them fresh and warm.)…

Minneapolis is a great city. Enjoy the Uptown life, catch some shows. Go see stuff. Eat at Manny’s. :smiley:

Nye’s Nordeast is a hoot.

I was also going to recommend the world’s best Garlic Roast Beef Sandwich at Mayslacks, but I guess they’re just a bar now.

However, Emily’s Lebanese Deli is fantastic. For lunch try Karmarczuk’s - fantastic pieroghis and polish/slavic foods.

(all Nordeast. I hate going downtown and never been a fan of Uptown)
Okay, I love Bryant Lake Bowl Uptown. But that’s it.

In addition to the other eating establishments already mentioned, you can never go wrong with Ichibans…mmmmmmmmm…Ichibans…

Where’s Karmarczuk’s?

It’s actually the Kramarczuk East European Deli and is at 215 East Hennepin Avenue. (I think a block or two towards downtown Minneapolis from Sturdyck’s Liquors.)

About 10 years ago when I was living in Uptown, there used to be a store called Once Upon a Crime that sold nothing but mystery books. I haven’t been to the old neighborhood in eons. Anyone know if it’s still in business?

It was on Monday. Once Upon A Crime

For serious? My old co-worker used to order food from them all the time. Every time he did, the place stunk for a full day.

But hey,
Nothing beats
Mayslacks meats!

Thanks everyone for all the great responses. Now I’ll have way more stuff to do than is feasible, so I’ll have to narrow it down…

The thing about Nye’s, is if you eat there, you are hungry again in a week.

Well? What did you think of our sleepy little berg?