Things you can do with 3D glasses

Start by tearing off your own head…

No, no. Start by tearing off *Sarah Palin’s *head!

Can we…get some detailed instructions for this one, please? With diagrams, if at all possible?

This is not exactly as I did mine, but the principle is the same and there ain’t much to it, to be honest.

The main thing is to make sure you don’t have any leaky light, and that it’s all going through the filters. You will want to be able to adjust the spacing between the lamps, to get the parallax right at whatever distance your rig is from the projection surface.

If you put them on upside down and/or hold them up backwards while you’re watching the movie, you can get the 3D effects to reverse - things that are supposed to look close now look far away. Experiment a bit - of the 3 possible “wrong” positions I forget which one gave me that result. It’s pretty strange, since the visual clues (e.g. things that are big are close) no longer match the 3D effect.

Maybe attach a plastic nose and fake moustache to them so you can inconspicuously follow someone without them knowing it’s you!

You could also take one of the lenses out and see in 2-1/2 D!

I also heard that they work really well on those ‘Ghost Tours’ in St. Augustine and New Orleans. You can see the orbs and spirits in 3D!

later, Tom.

Gee, dobieman, this was already moved to MPSIMS by the time I read it, so I didn’t catch on that you were hoping to be taken as a serious inquirer. I thought it was one of those ridiculous-claims-threads, like the “drinker-of-a-particular-whiskey-has-discovered-perpetual-motion-in-his-spare-time” threads.

You know: “If you are wearing 3D glasses when you meet your maker, you will experience the Holy Trinity as a Sacred Ennead.”

(Q. What did Adam see when he put on 3D glasses?
A. The 3 faces of Eve.)

(If you drink 2 "V-8"s while wearing 3D glasses, will you be a 6DV8?
—do the math! say it out loud!)

Hi,
I’ve found that the 3D glasses block out most visible light, if you put the two sides (red and cyan) together.
I found this out while trying to find a filter that will cut out the residual visible light from my infra-red camera.
… john

the 3D glasses from Real3D movies aren’t simple linear polarizers – they’re linear polarizers PLUS circular polarizers (or linear polarizers plus quarter wave plates) You can place the inside (viewer side) of one against the inside of another pair and rotate them to get the pair to “cancel out” and get darker and lighter as you rotate them relative to each other, but if you place the outside of one against the outside of another and rotate, this won’t happen. Nor if you place th outside of one next to the inside of another.

If you flip one lens so that the inside is away from your eye, you will be able to rotate it and look for linearly polarized light reflecting from surfaces. but if you flip it around and place the inside towards your eye you can’t do this. You could, I suppose, use it that way to look for circular polarized light in nature, but I don’t know of too many examples – mantis shrimp exoskeletons arfe supposed to reflect circularly polarized light, though.

Back in college, a friend and I considered designing a sundial with a digital read-out. The idea was, by stacking several very-carefully-designed polarizing lenses, we could produce a composite lens that would transmit only incident light coming from very specific directions. As the sun moves across the sky, different patterns of light would be transmitted through the stack of lenses. These varying patterns of light would be the digits of the read-out, showing the time of day.

No, we didn’t actually get very far with it. It was just an idea.

I had a similar idea. I got as far as plotting the sun’s movement across the sky throughout the year using a toy ball and rubber bands, but never took it further.