Things you've seen abroad you wish were adopted world wide

Any idiot can, yes.

I have been a high school math teacher for over a decade so I beg to disagree with you.

Even idiots have phones with calculators.

Which is helpful IF you know how to set up the problem.

When I was in France, the showers had the mixing valves out in the open rather than behind the walls. I thought that was a good idea since it would be easier to swap them out if there was any problem. When they are behind the wall, you have to tear up the wall if they need to be fixed. Something like this:

Why not just a label that says 800 calories; 1 bagel is 200 calories? Or 1200 calories;1 piece of candy is 50 calories? So much easier.

Because that’s not where we started

ILMV1 posited that the label should be based on a standard 100g NOT per serving size.

Ah. I find that idea silly because most people aren’t eating by weight. I don’t know anyone who weighs out breakfast cereal, or canned corn or peanut butter, for example.

You don’t really need to work out the whole calorific intake though, in most circumstances. Generally you’d be choosing between two items, so you’d just compare the calories per 100g between the two items. That especially applies for products like cereal where you’ll eat about the same amount of cereal one or cereal two.

I just saw a picture of a Japanese toilet that has a sink situated over the tank. You wash your hands and the water accumulates to flush.

Yes, my friend in Tokyo has a toilet like that in the guest bath. It’s not clear to me if the hand wash water actually flows back into the tank though. I think the idea is having a sink/toilet in a very small space where both wouldn’t fit.

Presumably it works well for flushing liquid waste only?

Not really. It just dilutes it a bit. (which is fine, I guess, but I’ve just stopped using that button)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/nveq8d/on_many_japanese_toilets_the_sink_is_attached_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossm

According to this, it saves millions of liters of water yearly.

I’m not sure where you’re supposed to stand while washing your hands. In that photo, you’d be squeezed between the toilet bowl and the sink cabinet to the right.

Right, it most definitely is not the price you actually pay.

The post you are replying to asked why the shelf price was not the same as the register price.

Also, you seem to be unaware that, in most of the world, most prices vary store-to-store: it is is only the nationally advertised prices that have nationally advertised prices.

The stores and the customers don’t have a problem with the fact that if they go into a different McDonald’s, they get the same price only on nationally advertised items, but if they go into a different Burger King they get the same price nationally on every item. It’s not a constitutional or business issue: it’s a cultural and marketing issue.

Yes. The system I noted is most useful for comparing different brands/varieties (Cocoa Puffs vs Corn Flakes) or different foodstuffs (beef vs tofu). This is the primary advantage over the US system, IMO.

I’d straddle the bowl. But I’m like that.

Oh damn! You sooo ninja’d me.

This is so practical and green. Americans wouldn’t go for it though because the water is ultimately for flushing a toilet so it isn’t heated.

The water could be heated but I always considered that to cancel out any benefit since the point is to save natural resources. But I just thought about it some more…

If a toilet user is going to use some hot water to wash their hands anyway then this system* would still save a lot of water—even though some heated water would be used to flush.

*A hot water version would be slightly different from the current Japanese sink/toilet.

I didn’t say the water does not flow into the tank, I said it wasn’t clear to me if it did or didn’t.

Here’s a version close to my friends toilet. It’s one of those fancy-pants ones with a heated seat and a butt sprayer and I think it even talks (in words I don’t understand):

And yes, you just close the lid and lean over the bowl to wash hands in the little sink.