Thinking of becoming bi-

Exposure is so important. Two of the languages I know keep slipping away when I go for a year or more without using them (and it has to be more than just ordering your lunch at the Hunan Wok). So whatever you select, make sure you’ll have plenty of opportunities to practice at length. I’m sure I would have retained a higher fluency level if I had, er… exposed myself more.

Stay away from tonal languages unless you have a musical ear. I think that is what has allowed me to pick up Vietnamese so easily. Tones are of paramount importance in many (all?) Asian languages, and you need to be able to master the tones if you want to hold conversations where the listener doesn’t giggle at you from time to time. Getting the tone wrong in Vietnamese is about 100 times worse than getting the accent wrong in Spanish.

From your short list of choices, I pick Spanish.

Handy, I have been caught more than a few times by people who were on the other side of a restauant window & intercepted what I was signing. I am wondering what the signing equivalent of whispering is, so I can keep my conversation private from people a hunderd yards away.

Sly, I’m thinking of learning a 2nd language also. I’m choosing Spanish for a few reasons:

1. After 4 years of French in high school (that I promptly forgot thru non-use), Spanish should be easy for me to pick up
  2. Large Hispanic population in the US for me to use it on
  3. Can easily get Spanish television (Unavision, sp?)
  4. Um, well, I don’t have a #4

anyway, those are my reasons. Let us know what you decide. I’ve always wanted to learn Japanese though. I was stationed in Okinawa for 2 years and totally regret not at least learning how to speak it. (Young and foolish at the time, sowing wild oats)

…it has never been my way to bother much about things which you can’t cure.

• A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court-Mark Twain

Oh, ich habe mich fast tot gelacht… (translation: har, har :smiley: )

Plus, we all know that Hispanic women are the world’s most beautiful!!!

After much deliberation I have come to a conclusion. Japanese is out, simply too difficult. Russian, with it’s cases and new alphabet (thanks Rowan), is out. French (actually my first choice) is not a language I could readily find anyone with whom to converse. German and Spanish. Spanish and German. And the winner is:

Spanish.

I registered this evening. Classes begin August 4th. Wish me luck and thanks for the input folks. I knew I could count on the TM. Mucho gracias!

BunnyGirl: Buena suerte. Perhaps we could help each other learn, si?

I am moving to San Diego this winter, and want to brush up on mine too. If you need any help or have any question, let me know, I could use some practice.

If you’re in the U.S. and just want to acquire a second language I would recommend Spanish (If you make the commitment go ahead and learn Castillian Spanish, although the Berlitz blitz can get you up to speed on the stripped down central america version real quick). French would be my second choice, but only because that’s the one I spent years with. Reality check tells me French is not a critical language, unless you’re French or Quebequ…(sp?)

Asian languages are harder to master for native-English speakers. The construction and tense don’t easily translate. I spent a couple of years as a child in Japan and learned a, what would you call it (?), pidgin japanese. Not really usefull unless you make the commitment to get it all under command (big time learning curve).

Hey, E1Skeptic, I would like some information. por favor. email me? tipiwoo@aol.com. thanks. :slight_smile:

tipi :slight_smile:

You think you forgot your French. It’ll all come back to you when you’re struggling for that Spanish word.

(I minored in French and then decided to study Spanish. Haven’t touched a French book in years. I still find myself parler-ing when I want to hablar.)

Never regret what seemed like a good idea at the time.

Well, I guess I am a tad late in making a suggestion…but in the realm of obscure languages…how about Finnish?

Se on oikein helppo kieli opetella, jos on sata vuotta aikaa!

sunbear gets this one, anyone else?

Cogito Ergo Vroom
I think therefore I ride fast…

Basque. Basque. BASQUE!!!

Ona da, euskara hitzegin.

Actually I would have to throw my vote in behind Spanish, even though I don’t speak it. It’s probably the one language you’ll get the most chance to use around the States, especially the big coastal cities or the Southwest. Of course, if you want to go trilingual, there are a number of us who’d gladly give you all the info you’d want about Esperanto :wink:

Cave Diem! Carpe Canem!

I work at a company in Wisconsin that is owned by a Japanese company. Our president is Japanese, and there are several other Japanese in lower management positions with whom I interact daily. I was given the standard text in Japan for foreigners learning Japanese (Japanese for Busy People), and I’ve worked through some of it. My coworkers have also taught me some objectionable things to say (“Watashi-no chimpo-wa oishi desu!”).</P>

Japanese is apparently the easiest Asian language to learn because it’s not tonal at all, and the grammar isn’t too difficult. Moreover, it’s a very simplified language conversationally, where articles and pronouns are simply dropped if the context is clear.</P>

Someone pointed out that there is almost no common vocabulary between English and Japanese: this isn’t totally true. English is effectively a required second tongue in Japan. It’s taught in all the schools, and children go to “cram” schools to brush up. Consequently, the Japanese are incorporating English words into the language at a furious pace. According to the Rosetta Stone Japanese language CD I bought, the Japanese word for ball is “booru”, for table, “tabru”. I asked my brother, who’s fluent in Japanese, how to say “blow-up doll”, and he replied “brow up dorru”. It’s the same linguistic phenomenon that happened to English during the Roman and Norman occupations of England; as a consequence, English vocabulary is 80% latin in origin (thought the remaining teutonic 20% is used the most).</P>

There are actually four ‘alphabets’. There’s the classical Chinese alphabet of kanji, with its thousands of ideographic characters. There’s hiragana and katakana, two phonetic alphabets of around 110 characters each, roughly corresponding to Japanese and foreign languages. And then there’s Romaji, which is the previous phonetic alphabets in roman characters (used for computers, and increasingly dominant in schools).</P>

I lived in Montreal for four years, and failed to learn French properly, in part because Quebecois don’t really like helping a learner. The Japanese I know, however, get just too excited when I can spout a new phrase. Overall, I’ve picked up what Japanese I know more easily just because it’s basically foreign: without similarities upon which I can rely, I have to use it functionally. “Kore-wa nan desu ka?” means “what’s that?”. “Ohaiyo-gazaimasu” is “good morning” (literally, “damn, it’s early”). I’ve been told the wrong approach to learning a language is to build a dictionary in your head; the right way is to learn how to use it, and the grammar will follow. If that’s true, and my experience bears it out, then Japanese might be easier than a language like French, which is tantalizingly similar, but has a million grammatical corrections waiting in the wings.</P>

I took French and German in high school and college. I like French alot but I recommend Spanish. I bet, in this country, we will be experiencing alot of Spanish or Latin cultural influences in the next 15 years or so.

Sly, det gar inte att lara dig en annan sprak. Om du vet det nytt dor ar ett ord nar bokstavener har vara byten, Da vet du att du kan slicka endan av en stor javla gris.

Actually Japanese is ranked as one of the hardest Languages to learn (level 4). It can be very vague. The Austronesian languages are some of the easier Asian languages to learn (in a 5 month, 5 hr a day Tagalog course, i was able to write a one page essay half way through the course in Tagalog and get most of it right).

Anyway even though Sly told us which language he is going to pursue, i also reccomend Spanish. For English speakers it’s one of the easier ones to pronounce and write (i also noticed most native speakers dont roll their r’s hard). My teachers teach us phrases and expressions that are usually used and tell us if something isn’t used much (like most books have the Vosotros form of verbs but my teacher last semester didnt focus on it because no one in the Americas uses it). Language is also a “use it or lose it” thing. Im starting to forget a few things in Spanish, but luckily regular school for me is starting back up soon. Fortunately i have people i know who i can practice my spanish with.

Sly: Buena suerte!