"This movie has warped my fragile little mind!"

My little brain was so pink and smooth that I actually got nightmares from Journey to the Center of the Earth with Pat fucking Boone.

The Space: 1999 episode “Dragon’s Domain”. Darkened doorways and windows made me nervous for years afterwards.

Jaws. To this day, I get nervous when swimming, and the water is too murky to see the bottom.

Apologies your description sounded like From Here to Eternity and I assumed it was a typo.

When I was a kid one of my buddies’ parents divorced and his contact with his father consisted entirely of going to the movies with his dad. I was too young to understand, really. I was just impressed by how often he got to go to the movies.

Nobody told me that before I saw it, at the age of 7 or 8…

This is what initally came to mind - I was seven, and felt like I was dragged to it by mom who was recently divorced and I’m sure just wanted to get the hell out the house, maybe check out Yul and Kirk.
I was aghast at seeing a raiding pirate plunging a knife into a woman’s breast (that bled), and in the same raid, I feared for (I think) the protagonist floating in water to fake death to evade capture as same pirate walks by, and then later, Yul using a long pole with a hook on the end of it to torture someone tied up on the ship’s masts, and other quite sadistic hi-jinks, to make me conclude - what the hell was mom thinking? I’m pretty sure at one point I was like - whoa - with mom just doing a mom-like rebuff.
Thus:

I couldn’t disagree more - warp city, here.
In terms of quality, perhaps leaning more to the forgettable, in that sense.

Ugh, this reminds me of seeing this incredibly intense, nail-biting scene in the TV movie “Never Give an Inch” (adapted from the film “Sometimes a Great Notion” which in turn was adapted from Ken Kesey’s novel) where buddy is stuck under a fallen tree near a body of water that is starting to rise, and, well…
Not re-watching it, actually. If you’re morbidly curious enough - have at’er.

Another very early warper whose horror I thought was at least slightly leavened by kinda over-the-top nuttiness that I managed to track down. Two scenes.
Here: (spoilers, by the way)
Sultry mistress Barbara Parkins opens up a freezer containing what was supposed to have been nicely wrapped up packages of severed limbs of her paramour’s wife.
Oh but those nicely wrapped up packages have other plans in store…

And, The Laugh that will scar/warp you:

Yeah, this seven-year-old got choked up with (Huey? Dewey? Louie?) watering away, at the end. (Forgot about Joan’s vibrato thing, though)

That was indeed a Polaroid Moment.

Again, 7, seeing the opening shot of Herbert Lom’s mask in the '62 version of “Phantom of the Opera”. Crazy - a little ways into the film, I was asked if I wanted to go join the rest of the family for the wedding ceremony for my dad and step-mom, but I was too wrapped up in the movie, and demurred.

To foster my claustrophpobia, there was an old (TV?) show that had a kidnapped girl in a underground coffin(?)-like compartment that had a controlled amount of water gradually seaping down its walls, slowly filling it up. Can’t remember if a recovery ransom was involved. Heh - ID, anyone? Anyway, that scene, wherever it was from, I really obsessed over it for way too long, and still rankles at me today.

In “Sybil”, Sally Fields having nightmares with scenes shot through a wide angle lens zooming in on a caterwauling, dismembered cat’s head, propped up in a tree. Or, flashbacks as a young girl, her hands tied to one of the legs of a piano her mother is playing, as a pool of urine gradually spreads on the floor under Sybil.

A couple scenes from “The Morning After”. Pretty-well weaned on the Dick Van Dyke Show, and then seeing DVD being followed by a hand-held camera as he races just in time to the bathroom sink to puke blood, or later, waking up on the beach and getting a bad attack of DT’s, sending him running and flailing into the water.
And of course, the end, just sitting on a stoop, with a bottle. IIRC, “Yesterday” played.
Yeah, that’s another early bummer.

Sounds like the plot of a Twilight Zone episode or something. But there was a real life case…

1972-The Longest Night was based on it, but I don’t recall any water seeping into the coffin.

1990-83 Hours Till Dawn was the book she herself wrote turned into a movie.

Yep, definitely the movie (thank-you!).
How on earth I managed to work in the leaking water thing, lord knows.

Stephen Wright has a joke that some people are afraid of heights but he’s afraid of widths. Well, I am claustrophobic so it doesn’t seem like a joke exactly. That movie freaked me out as well.

Would you believe…it’s on youtube?

ETA: I started watching it. He mentions there may be some water, but there’s a pump she can use…only it takes a lot of electricity.

That was his brother, IIRC.

By Jove, you may be right! Though according to this wiki article (assuming it’s correct), the third segment sounds like the one that terrified 5 year old me:

The third story, “The Drop of Water”, is centered on Helen Corey ([Jacqueline Pierreux), a nurse who steals a ring from a corpse that is being prepared for burial and finds herself haunted by the ring’s original owner after arriving home.

BTW, I remember reading the story that one of the members of what would become the band Black Sabbath got the idea for both the band’s name and shtick after seeing a poster for a scary movie. Seems like a fair bet that it was this one.

Robocop. Saw it on VHS when I was 12 or 13. When my step-brother and I suggested it at the video store one night, my dad said, “Sure.” He thought it sounded like a nice little kids movie. At the time I couldn’t believe how violent and graphic it was. My dad also thought Beverly Hills Cop was a funny movie (which he saw in the theater), so rented it for me to watch one weekend. Afterward, he said he regretted it because he forgot about the strip club scene and how much swearing was in it. I believe this was my first “R” movie. I think I was 10 when I saw it.

Didn’t occur to me there were different versions. Here’s the whole movie with your segment coming in first place. As far as color vs B&W, that segment is very starkly filmed – not a lot of color – could almost pass for B&W.

ENJOY!! (Mwah-ha-ha-ha!)

I am 99% sure that is it! I fast forwarded through and found the two scenes I remember- the woman passing her hands over the dead woman’s face (it was to close the corpse’s eyes) and the scary corpse coming at the woman. I can’t believe after all these years I know what the movie is. I mean, both my parents are still alive to ask but I’m sure they wouldn’t even remember. Burpo, you are indeed a wonder mutt!

I’ll be sure to watch the entire thing later, but maybe not much later, like at night :scream: I thought if I ever found the movie i would laugh about what a scaredy-cat I was at 5, but that segment looks creepy AF.

And yes, i probably saw it on a B&W TV— I don’t think my parents sprang for one of those enormous wooden-framed console color TVs until I was around 7.

You know it! When the corpse comes floating down the hall, I still get shivers, then sitting in the rocker with the cat on its lap? Jeez!

You should probably wait until after you’ve seen the movie to read this:

I didn’t pick up on this until much later in life: at the end of the segment, the other, older, woman comes to speak to the police and the new corpse is staring at her with the same kind of eyes as the other corpse and it seems the ring was not recovered by the witch but stolen by the older woman who’s gonna get hers tonight.

This is called fun.

I was a grown adult when this scene was described to me, and it gave me the creeps. I sure don’t need to see it.
I could see little kids reacting to the opening helicopter scene from Cliffhanger.

When I was 8 years-old, I went with my mother to get her car repaired. The mechanic said it would take a few hours, so we wandered over to a nearby cinema and caught a matinee showing of Walkabout. It was rated GP, so she probably thought it would be fine for a kid. And it was, really, but I’ve never stopped thinking about that film.

It was mind blowing and full of things I’d never contemplated or even knew existed. A father suddenly snapping and trying to murder his own kids, and subsequently committing suicide. Why did the Aboriginal boy die? I’m still not sure. Jenny Agutter getting naked was interesting as well, but not in a lustful way, obviously. There were weird flashbacks and all kinds of strange stuff going on that I can still see vividly.

Haven’t seen the movie since, but I guess I should give it a whirl.

I think my watershed movies as a youngster were pretty mundane.

Colossus: The Forbin Project twisted up my young mind

Paper Moon taught me it was ok to use foul language

and Harry in Your Pocket showed that fucking around was acceptable.

Then we went to see a triple feature including the absurdity of Deathrace 2000, the piece of trash called Eat My Dust followed by what I immediately recognized as genuine art in Vanishing Point.

By the time my friend dragged me to see Star Wars after it had already been in theaters for a year, I was totally prepared for its brutal meh.

Marathon Man. “Is it safe?”

I don’t recall the vividly gross scenes in The Light at the End of the World that people have described. Possibly it was too long ago, or else the version I saw was cleaned up for TV or something.