This shirt is illegal in 52 countries

But Phil Silvers didn’t die until 1985 . . . or so we’ve been told. Seriously, has anyone ever seen them together?

I remember that somebody printed a similar shirt with the DeCSS code on it. DeCSS is a small computer program that will decrypt DVDs; per many nations’ modern copyright acts (DMCA, etc) it is illegal to possess or distribute DRM-breaking tools.

The shortest implementation of DeCSS was about 500 characters, or small enough to fit on a shirt, so some group printed them up with the same “This shirt is illegal in N countries” slogan.

People did much the same thing with an implementation of RSA, a strong encryption algorithm, back when exporting strong encryption from America was illegal. However, those shirts didn’t say “This shirt is illegal”, they said “This shirt is a munition”, as that’s what the American government classified strong encryption as.

It’s still illegal, to the best of my knowledge, to export something like RSA to North Korea. However, the days of having to download the strong version of GPG from a site in Canada are long over. (Yes, even if you were an American citizen in America: You can’t reliably tell where someone is over the Internet, and nobody wanted to take chances.)

Chronos: There are Christians who feel ‘harassed’ by the fact atheists exist and aren’t afraid to win debates anymore.

Can you IMAGINE wearing a shirt with a phrase on it, that if someone passed you and said “Prove it.” you COULDN’T?

That would evidence a very low regard for the truth to me.

I’m a Christian, and I could never wear that shirt. It’s like screaming “Hey! Christianity is Intellectually Lazy!”

Great marketing, Christendom.

Damn it now I gotta get the DeCSS shirt. Talk about awesome.

That list also includes Belarus, which by their own stats is 78% Christian.

Bogus

And the Philippines and Venezuela. More of those awful Catholics?

Here is the shirt, folks.

Illegal Shirt

Apparently:

Actually, If you’re referring to the persecution.com map, the country marked is Columbia. Same point to be made. They’re referring to the activities of the FARC.

Is there a list of countries where wearing a cross; in any form, in public; would be trouble?

Here’s a thread from 2003. However, the incident with the British tourist occurred in 1984, not 1991.

And really, it’s more bewildering to me that a British tourist would even have a shirt with Phil Sliver’s face on it.

I forgot when I said it happened in 1991, could you remind me?

Why? I’ve met several British people who could in theory appreciate Phil Silvers, and several more who would wear tshirts with a person’s face on it. Did you just mean it seemed improbable, as opposed to it being bewildering?

Then those Catholics better get cracking on all of those crosses they have hanging up behind their pagan, humanist alters.

Anti-Evangelist isn’t “anti-Christian,” and Catholics are just as much Christians as anyone else.

The situation in Chiapas is really political, not religious.

You didn’t say it; sugaree said it.

Both. It was an American TV show that had aired 30 years before. She was a British tourist in China–in 1984.

Doesn’t that qualify?

The incident is true, and happened in 1987. A British woman was in Tibet and was wearing a Sgt. Bilko(Phil Silvers) t-shirt. The series had recently been in syndication in Britain and was very popular.

She was pedalling through Tibet when a crowd of Tibetans were around her shouting “Dalai Lama” and a soldier tried to rip off her t-shirt.

Utter BS. While Nigeria does indeed have Muslims and sometimes they don’t get along, they have a thriving Christian culture and Christian references are a common part of pop culture in much of the country. The Christian areas of Nigeria are probably among the most actively religious Christian areas in the world. Ethiopia has a long Christian history and is 66% Christian- they even use a version of the old Coptic calender!

I think this shirt is just measuring countries anywhere that have significant Muslim populations, under the assumptions that Musims will automatically persecute Christians.

Why is it bewildering that a British woman would not have great admiration for a great comedic talent. Is this a British thing? Would you be less bewildered if the shirt had a picture of Spike Milligan on it? Or are you an anti-comedite? Would it have been different if the picture was of William Godfrey? I’m bewildered by the dearth of people shouting ‘Phil Silvers’ when they see a picture of the Dalai Lama.

Slacktivism?

The reviews of the shirt just gush about how someone wore this shirt to the county fair and got to witness to so many people…

So I wrote a review, titled But…Is It TRUE?

Hmmm… got an email from the “Voice Of The Martyrs” saying my review of the shirt “has been received”. But it’s not up on the site yet. Looks like it’s being vetted, so it may never show up on the VOM site.

Maybe this is how they have all those ultra-positive comments!