This week's Marilyn Vos Idiot-Savant article

I shudder to think what would happen if she DID apply her mind to research. “Since alcohol does not exist in nature, let’s take this unknown substance and wham fizzlefizzle” Maybe this is for the good of mankind. What a genius to recognize that…

It is generally spelled Alpha in the NATO Phonetic Alphabet.

Cite
Cite
Cite

I don’t know why the navy spells it differently. Of course spelling isn’t terribly important in a phonetic alphabet (alfabet?) as long as the pronunciation is clear.

Biggest laugh of MY day: in skimming the OP, I somehow parsed the word “Parade”–don’t ask me how–as “Retarde.”

I will never think of that publication in any other way.

Heheheheh yeah, this Marilyn woman gets on my nerves, too. I am the smartest person in the world.

Isn’t her superdeeduper high IQ score from when she was a child? I thought I read somewhere that, ever since then, she’s refused to be re-scored.

Horses get drunk all the time on fermented apple falls and fermenting grain. Pigs can, too. I’ve never heard of a dog getting drunk off spoiled fruit, but it doesn’t surprise me.

I don’t have a cite for this (sorry, just can’t get up off my butt and go look) but one of my professors did say that humans hardly ever drank water before recently. The water didn’t taste good and could easily be polluted. They would drink beer and wine and mead instead, and have for centuries.

If this lady is the world’s smartest human, I am afraid for all humanity.

You’re only off by one letter.

If she is so smart, why is she in Parade Magazine* ?

I bet she is book smart-street stupid. Wouldn’t it be fun to have a Marilyn-Cam on her head to see just how utterly dull she really is…and then airdrop her into …oh…Spring Break Cancun.

Now, that would be Reality TV worth watching.

Any adult with an IQ anywhere near 228 would be a bit of a social retard, IMO (see Erdos, Paul and almost any other brilliant person that I can think of, other than Feynman). Not only that, but were she actually that smart, I can’t believe that she would actually have any interest in doing what she does.

I think the her column is really an ad hoc IQ test for the reader: Can You Spot the Bullshit Artist?

Luckily, the SDMB is not alone in the fight against her particular brand of ignorance: http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/marilyn.html

When you fill a silo with corn silage…the juices get squeezed out and after an afternoon of sitting in the sun fermenting the birds come

Drunk birds are funny

The show doesn’t last long though because shortly after that…the cats come

BTW Anyone see that PBS show might of been about the Serengetti(sp?)…the part of which the elephants during one part of the year would go and eat fermented fruit and get wasted?

Drunk elephants are funny too

It’s for the poor Marines, who would then pronounce it “alp-hay”. Trust me.

Hey, that’s my band name!

She didn’t say NATO. She said “our armed forces.”

It is spelled “Alfa” in the U.S. Department of Defense Dictionary of Military Terms.

It’s not just the U.S. Navy, either; the U.S. Army spells it the same way:
http://www.gordon.army.mil/ocos/Museum/alpha.asp

I’ve always thought her writing style was part of her schtick. After all, she ropes in two different audiences with it: Those who think she’s right and those who know she’s wrong.

My favorite was her assertion that Picasso and other modern artists weren’t any good because they didn’t paint realistically and that, as we all know, is much harder to do than simply pushing paint around… :wink:

I’m glad to see a thread full of such smart people they don’t realize that Parade Magazine copy editors are responsible for all the spellings you see in that rag.

In his real life, Walter spells his last name “Scot.” :wink:

I’m glad to see a thread full of such smart people they don’t realize that Parade Magazine copy editors are responsible for all the spellings you see in that rag.

In his real life, Walter spells his last name “Scot.” :wink:

I think the her column is really an ad hoc IQ test for the reader: Can You Spot the Bullshit Artist?

Luckily, the SDMB is not alone in the fight against her particular brand of ignorance: http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/marilyn.html

I’m sorry about the double post; I think the hamsters have it in for me. If anyone knows how I can stop it from re-posting every time I check the thread, please email me.

Topic? Marilyn Vos Savant sucks, and it’s very telling that the editors put her column right next to the cartoons.

Holy cow, did she really say that? I don’t have a very high opinion of her (okay, I have a rather low opinion of her), but that’s just amazing. Do you know when she said that?

Jay

I’d love to see her go head to head with our very own Unca Cecil.