This would not go over well in the U.S.

Did you miss the fact that this was a response to a Christian ad on London buses? Strange how no one ever says that the Christians are taunting people and being mean-spirited by engaging in a little recruiting. It is only ever about being a big poopie head when someone dares to disagree with the Jesus lovers. Funny, considering that few atheists actually suggest that disagreeing with them means you are going to suffer eternal torment. Talk about mean-spirited!

I am certainly being OT, and I apologize.

I might be being thin-skinned. It does seem that atheists have in the last little while decided that not only are they right but everyone else is wrong (the two not being exactly the same thing). Further, they seem to have come to the conclusion they are better than anyone else. The fact that other people do not acknowledge that fact seems maddening to them.

But as I said, I am off-topic and I ought not to hijack.

The buses would probably be vandalized, like cars with the pro-evolution “Darwin Fish” on them tend to be.

darwin fish stickered cars get vandalized in your area? That’s pretty lame (and not very christian/jewish/insert other religion here that believes in being kind to others) (for the record, I’m a non-believing jew :wink: )

God has a sense of humor.

Thin-skinned AND lacking in introspection, it seems. Can you really be unaware this is precisely what Christians think? Indeed it’s explicitly a part of the belief set?

Doesn’t this make God something of a voyeur?

IMHO the first sentence sounds like they are confirming there is a real, if less than odds on, chance that there is a god, and the second is condescending.

Dreadful effort.

Yes. Here in the Red heart I doubt the bus company would accept the ad at that amount but would if selling the business.

I can understand the more religious part, but how do we seem more heathen? Is it the presence of Wiccans and neo-pagans and the like (none of which I know in real life)?

Not trying to argue, just genuinely curious.

A caller on one of the London breakfast shows (LBC for those who know it) the other day said that she wouldn’t get on the bus with that ad, because she wouldn’t trust that God would look after it if ‘something happened’.

Laugh? Cry? You decide…

Since the OP didn’t have a link to a story about it, here.

Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if a Molotov cocktail gets tossed at one, much less mere vandalism.

Really? Yet oddly I am a Christian, but do not think everyone else is wrong. Indeed, I hope they are right, even more, I give other people every benefit of doubt. I suppose it is a matter of one’s own personality.

Well if he has it’s a piss poor one

Speaking anecdotally, you are an odd breed. I will grant that I’ve met (and I’m friends with) Christians who are open minded and who do not condemn, who don’t think they are better then everyone - but the majority have been confidently assurred of their position to the point where they ‘pity’ the deluded atheist.

The fact is, this sign is no different then the multiple Christian signs one can see just driving around town on churches and other things. The difference is that atheists have become a lot more vocal in the last dozen years.

Yah, but why is that I wonder? I have noticed it too.

In my case, it’s partly because I’m getting mightily ticked at how religion-centric our political system (yes, ours too - it’s not restricted to the US) is becoming - too many decisions are based not on human rights but on religion. I’m also kind of upset that a couple of my religious friends of long standing* suddenly started treating me differently once I admitted to being an atheist. Apparently, I’m now a questionable person to be around, morally.

Between feeling scared for my country’s future if we continue to be governed by religion instead of social justice, and being hurt and offended by being treated as though I’m inherently less trustworthy now that I’ve ‘outed’ myself as an atheist, I’m really starting to empathise with the atheist groups that want to put atheism out there and show that, y’know, we’re not evil. (Though we are, by our own definition, soulless. ;))

*ETA: And to clarify, by ‘long standing’, I’m talking about 12 years and approximately 23 years. :frowning:

Missed the edit window to add: the really hurtful part, friendship-wise, is that I’ve been agnostic since my late teens and atheist for at least 10 years, maybe more. It’s only since I actually shared that information with my religious friends that I’m suddenly - I don’t know… unacceptable? - on some level.

I feel this is very unfair and hurtful. I’ve never tried to change their views (I’m happy that they’re happy) but it clearly doesn’t go both ways.

Have you ever seen Dogma? :smiley:

Absolutely, I agree completely – Thomas Aquinas, Teresa of Avila, Isaac Newton, William Blake, Gregor Mendel, Louis Pasteur… what a bunch of pinheads.

One might be tempted to say, if it were possible to say it with charity, that atheism is how some people cope with their inability to understand the reality of God.