Those "Guess How Many X's Are in the Jar" Games - Is There a Trick?

We really need to learn to negotiate our commission before we help with this sort of problem!

After seeing where some people plan on stashing them, I’d insist on them still being in an unopened package.

Y’all are going about this task all wrong.

According to Dr. Richard Wiseman, when a large number of people independently estimate how many somethings are in a large group, although most guesses are wildly off, the average of all the guesses is very accurate.

So get all your friends to guess and average the results.

Rectoconfectobiologist is my new favorite scientific discipline.

This is what I came to say, though my reference was, “The Wisdom of Crowds”, rather than Wieman.

[hijack]
Ah… the halcyon days of family friendly cartoons. Still, my favorite “They-could-never-get-away-with-THAT-today” cartoon moment was the one where Buggs Bunny was filling in for the Easter Bunny, and his first stop is a Hillbilly house where there’s a kid in a crib sucking on the barrel of a gun like its a pacifier.
[/hijack]

That could work with M&Ms and a sufficiently large and diverse group of friends. There are a number of things that could interfere with a good result, though. I once won a Guess the Number of Nematodes in the Jar contest where my guess was a complete outlier. It was a gallon jar of water with tiny little nematodes swimming in it. The next lower guess was x10^4 lower than mine.

I guess most of the other folks just weren’t comfortable with numbers that high when applied to an average sized object. I won a bucket of gummy worms. The kids loved it. The crowd was not wise that day.

No, because fudge packing inevitably leads to pillow biting.

I wasted many hours as a child dreaming of my future career as a rectoconfectobiologist, but alas, the large lollypops defeated me and I was drummed out of rectoconfectobiology school in disgrace. :frowning:

Indeed! (though the name is too long for a band, so if the scientists ever start jammin’ together, they’d have to call themselves “Ass Candy”).