Thoughts on Patrick O'Brian's Novels?

Sure, I saw the film first and was comfortable with that portrayal, I think exposure to Crowe that way round is probably easier to swallow.

Physically, I actually found Crowe easier to swallow than Bettany as Maturin. Maturin is supposed to be short, slight, and not particularly good looking. They both nailed the characters however.

Concerning the film, while some quibbles about particular cast members appearances can be made, I’m of the opinion that Peter Weir captured the essence of the series very successfully in every important respect. Even the story was an amalgam of several books in the series.

He’s not exactly small at what looks to be 5’10" (assuming Henry Cavill’s 6’1" is accurate). But he does look the part otherwise, and has the presence to be Aubrey.

Fry is too tall, and kind of… non-athletic in a way that I never saw Aubrey being. There just aren’t a lot of tall, somewhat athletic, bulky actors that aren’t huge ex-football players, I suspect.

No doubt. And our quibbles are just that; slight objection(s) or criticism(s) about a trivial matter. All-in-all, I’d rather have a very good actor play (and nail) a role than cast someone physically appropriate who doesn’t hold up skill-wise. And Russel Crowe has the Aubrey look overall, just not the physical bulk.

It’s pretty much THE finest age-of-sail movie IMO. Considering they were trying to encapsulate a 20-book series down to a 2-hour movie, they did an outstanding job.

Okay.

But the thread title is Thoughts on Patrick O’Brien’s Novels?.
IMO the act of “trying to encapsulate a 20-book series down to a 2-hour movie” has reduced THE finest age-of-sail novel sequence to a trivial entertainment. (Granted, with some very good effects and production). O’Brian has been favourably compared to Jane Austen, for Og’s sake (although her work has often been trivialised, too: as has Og’s).

And Mods; is it possible we could change PO’B’s surname in the thread title to the spelling he himself chose to use?

Agreed it is a bit of a tangent, but I was originally replying to someone who stated that, as they were reading the novels, picturing Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany as the characters helped enhance their reading experience.

I’ve heard more than one person state that they couldn’t get into the books until after they’d seen the movie; that the movie brought the book’s settings and narrative into focus. That they now had a better context for understanding the books.

That was pretty much my experience. I hadn’t read any of the novels when I saw the movie; now I’ve read all but the unfinished 21.

For more on the movie: Patrick O'Brian fans: Did you like the movie "Master and Commander"?

It wasn’t really condensing 20, it was really condensing “Master and Commander” and “The Far Side of the World”, with bits from a few others.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was disappointed there were no sequels.

There are these new covers, too - not sure if they’re perhaps proposed but not actually in print: New covers for the Aubrey/Maturin series from W.... - Beat to Quarters

I read the first one but wasn’t particularly excited by it.

I’ve been a Bolitho fan since the early '70s.

I wonder if Jack had one of these in his bunk…

Too many arms.

Obviously it’s a pre-1797 bear.

Thought I’d mention.

My daughter (17) is a mad keen ornithologist, naturalist and violinist. When I’ve been reading the books I’ve always read out Stephen’s musings on the natural world and she’s always liked them.
Last weekend we all watched “Master and Commander” and the whole family loved it.
My daugher obviously loved Paul Bettany as Maturin and is now devouring the novels on her kindle. On a recent car journey we were treated to regular snorts of laughter and recitations of the funny parts. I fear she may soil herself when she gets to “You have debauched my sloth!”

She readily admits that the language is a little tough to get into and the naval jargon is thick and not always explained but I’m surprised (and delighted) that she doesn’t care, it is obviously written so well that she is perfectly happy to just go along with it and take from it what she can. (I don’t think it is too much of a stretch to compare it to Dickens in that respect)

The current phrase of choice is “handsomely now!” for any given activity. My wife just wearily rolls her eyes.

Give you joy Sir! Give you joy with all my heart.

Seriously, having another Aubrey/Maturin fan in the family is wonderful. Make sure to ask her why it’s called the Dog watch.

Not to mention the proper approach to choosing weevils.

We seem to be having a “phrase of the day” situation.

Yesterday it was “tolerably spry!”, We are yet to choose today’s but I’ll let you know.

It’s been a while since my last re-read and I can’t remember which novel, but our fearless heros are riding across a bit of desert to meet a local panjandrum. Stephen, ever the eager naturalist, begs their local guide for help identifying a creature he’s spotted… "That, sir, is what we call a ‘bird’ …

I try to use “drunk by naval standards” whenever it’s appropriate.