Three-card monte

The time I saw this game (in Budapest, if you must know) the guy tried to bet $20 and the dealer said “Man, make it worth my time. Bet $50 at least” and the fool did indeed pony up his bet.

Usually it’s the equivalent of ten to twenty dollars. I watched one group in Barcelona for about an hour and they got two suckers. It doesn’t seem like a good living to me either.

Haj

I was about to say what FlippyFly and RealityChuck said and then add that I don’t think your average short con crew is raking it in…but I see that once again I was beat to the punch…this time by Haj I have also heard the advice from Harry Anderson (who, as I recall, was a monte thrower before he got beat up a few too many times and became a Magician/actor) that the crew will watch to see how much money you have in your wallet when you pull it out to bet and will try and get out of you what ever you have. He suggested, if you wanted to throw your money away for the experience of being hustled, to have the money you’re about to lose out. As hajario said, it happens so damn fast and is confusing, that you’re often broke before you know you’ve been fleeced.