Thugs firing randomly into crowds. Was this ever done in the past or is it mainly a modern practice?

The new rolleyes smiley doesn’t even come close to being adequate for that bolded statement above, but here it is anyway: :rolleyes:

Hey, here’s another example of thugs who were fond of firing indiscriminately into crowds:[the UK’s Military Reaction Force:

](Military Reaction Force - Wikipedia)From my research, it seems that this tactic isn’t at all something that gangs do (regardless of their skin color), so much as something that governments and wealthy (and powerful) individuals use.

I’ve heard it said that randomly shooting into a crowd or in a drive-by has arisen because of initation rituals in gangs, which require that the rookie shoot someone to attain full membership in the gang. Clearly it would be easier on the shooter (and of course, far more cowardly) to randomly shoot someone they can’t see, than to open fire face to face with someone standing in front of them. By keeping their distance from the victim, they are also more likely to get away with it, as they are often not seen by the victim and there is no apparent motive for the shooting to link the shooter to the victim.

It’s a fine hair…but you’re the one trying to split it, if you claim that a theater audience is composed of individuals when they’re seated, but a crowd when they stand to work their way to the exits.

What about a bunch of people waiting to board a ferryboat? If they stand in a line, they’re individuals, but if they group up in a mass they’re a crowd? Does the geometric arrangement of a group of people change their group/individual association?

What if the lights are low in the theater, and the shooter can’t see people as individuals?

I think this post would be better addressed to the poster I was replying to than me. I do not believe there is much more than a contrived distinction and was replying to someone who does.

I apologize; I got confused in the give-and-take.

Another case of firing at individuals - when you can see your target’s face.

a huge psychological difference between shooting specific individuals.
They were shot because of what they were actively doing.

Not because they were in a crowd and you didn’t care who you hit.

And the Boston Boston Massacre, when you find it was shooting into people who were actively engaged.

They didn’t walk down the street and shoot random people.

Targeting! It’s a Thing!

So far, all the ‘White’ shooting were at a selected group.
Very different than driving down a street and shooting random people.

I don’t think this qualifies as shooting “into a crowd”, but it was a case of a maniac indiscriminately shooting whoever he came across; 7 plus the shooter dead, 32 wounded to various degrees. With a shotgun. In 1915:
http://www.glynngen.com/history/bwkmassacre.htm

No, I can’t say as I do.

As opposed to the Chicago Boston Massacre, which was all over the place.