Tiger is back. all Hail tiger

Prestige is conferred by the players, not by the event. There is a World Team Matchplay Championship, whose name escapes me, because the US is usually represented by players that most people never heard of. If Tiger and Phil had played it for the last 15 years, it would be a big event.

The British Open was skipped by almost all the top American players before Arnie started playing it. And Einstein brought a lot more fame to the Nobel Prize than the converse.

The President’s Cup will never be anything more than an exhibition. I watch it because it’s a chance to see some of my favorite players. I couldn’t care less which side wins. You might as well complain about the “integrity” of the Skins Game.

I’d bet that if they were honest, most of the guys over 30 would say they wouldn’t lose much sleep if they got rid of the thing. But of course they can’t say that, because they’d be accused of wanting the terrorists to win, or something.

If they didn’t care, I can’t imagine why Steve Stricker would fly halfway around the world during his precious deer season. (He didn’t play in the lucrative Far East events last fall). Ditto, David Toms and LSU Football, and Jim Furyk and his Pittsburgh Steelers. FWIW, If Toms or Furyk do qualify (they are on the bubble) for the event, it would not surprise me if they come up with a mysterious back ailment. Stricker is going to qualify, and the same thing applies. but if they do go, I can’t imagine that they are not going halfway around the world to lose.

If Fred Couples picks Tiger, it won’t be for the ratings (that’s the networks’ concern, not his). It will be because he thinks the possible upside is much greater with Tiger than with the #12 ranked American golfer.

IF Tiger is anywhere close to healthy by the time the Ryder Cup is played, is there ANY doubt he’s a guy you’d want on your team?

He said he was 100% going into this weekend. And is going to finish right around T38th. On a course that he has owned.

as of 3 pm et, and according to the PGATour at the Bridgestone Stats, Tiger was 76th in Driving Accuracy. There were only 76 players in the field.

That does not bode well for him in Atlanta next week where it is rumored that the bermuda rough is very deep and fairways narrow.

He said he was 100% healthy. He also said that he had been hitting full shots for just two weeks, and had been working with his swing coach for just one week. I think finishing in the top half of the world’s best players on a tough course is doing pretty well under those conditions.

And I think that Phil, Dustin, and Graeme would agree.

For once we agree. Although he hit some good drives this week, overall his driving sucked, especially today.

Before today, his driving stats were misleading. A missed fairway can be missed by a foot or by 50 yards, and most of his misses were pretty near misses, up to the the sixth hole today.

But then he started missing fairways by 50 yards. I doubt he can fix it in three days. Hopefully, he can fix it by next year.

He has hit 40 million drives in his life. Why the hell can’t he come close to hitting fairways? There is a repetitive factor. He should pound fairways to death.

I’d have to say that Tiger was not missed at The Open this year. Not really. Come the end of the week I’d barely realised he wasn’t there. No-one was talking about the tournament being devalued, he really wan’t a topic of conversation at all. In retrospect, that is surprising.

I agree he is still a big draw but his star is certainly waning and there is a fine line between cheering on Tiger for the win, and cheering him on because of past wins. If crowds start doing the latter before he is 40 that may be a tough one for him.
It may be that he is the one more concerned for the integrity of the game.

It’s not the golfer. It’s the caddy! :slight_smile:

Wow, that approach shot on 18 was like the one Tiger made when it was getting dark several years back. I think he was playing in the final group with what-his-name. The “be the right club to-DAY” guy. I can never remember his name.

Wow. How often do they interview the caddy?

Hey, Tiger. Who’s your caddy?

See post 1.
I think Stevie shut a door . No going back now.
I was surprised they went to Williams on camera. He got a longer interview that Scott. Scott must know he has a tiger by the tail now.

John Mace: that was Hal Sutton at TPC. Steve Williams: “BEST WEEK OF MY LIFE” OOPS

Heh. And people say Tiger isn’t bigger than the game.

Hal Sutton won 15 PGA events including a major, was Player of the Year in 1983, and was Ryder Cup captain in 2004. But when people think of him, all they remember is that he once beat Tiger Woods head to head.

LOL. Who says Steve has an inflated ego? His post-victory interview: “There were a lot of expectations on Adam, not just myself. It’s hard to explain, but he’s under pressure a little bit, too.” And he was totally serious.

Well he carried a heavy bag around the course. I used to get 15 or 20 bucks for being a caddy.

Here is what Williams said today. Class act.

I think Tiger won the tournament I was talking about, not Sutton.

It’s funny. I’m a big golf fan, watch a lot golf, but for some reason I have this mental block when it comes to remembering Hal Sutton’s name. It has nothing to with him-- I can remember of the other guys’ names. It’s just him. I can see his face plain as day, but usually draw a blank on his name.

Hal Sutton Be the Right Club today. Youtube video.