Time to stock up on vanilla

The prices have already gone up at Penzey’s, unfortunately. Maybe I should buy some before they go up any farther - enough to get me through the next year or so, anyway. It sounds like the crisis will be about over by then.

The Cooks Illustrated (gosh I love that magazine) article found that the fake stuff is best in baked goods (I believe the benchmark was a yellow cake), but that for custards and the like, you still want to use the hideously expensive vanilla beans.

stargazer, I wasn’t questioning what you read. Really, taste is a very definite matter of opinion. As for me, I’ve never had an artificial flavoring that I liked as much as the real thing.

Everytime I visit the US I’m asked to bring vanilla for relatives. I usually take around 8 liters and my Mom divides it up amongst them. I was amazed at the cost of the stuff up there but now those 8 liters will probably be worth as much as my plane ticket!

Oh, I didn’t think you were questioning, FCM! And I didn’t mean to discount your opinion. I was just providing more information about the article. I thought the findings of their tests were really interesting. I don’t even know if I prefer real or artificial vanilla! I buy real vanilla, but that’s mostly because I’m working my way toward being a foodie. :slight_smile:

[blaring klaxons]

$PECIAL $HOPPER $AVINGS $ERVICE

For those of you who have a MacFrugal’s or Big Lots store near you.

Item:[ul][li]Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract[/li]2.0 Fluid Ounce Bourbon Vanilla
Packaged Amber Glass Bottle[/ul]$1.[sup]99[/sup]

[/blaring klaxons]

I hafta say, I love Spice Islands stuff for any spice not green. Their basil and oregano are always blaaaah - no flavor left. But red pepper, garlic powder, and yes, Pure Vanilla Extract in larger-than-McCormick’s-chintzy-bottles? I’m all over it.

(They also sell Spice Islands at my local WalMart, Walgreen’s and beleive it or not, Michael’s Crafts.)