Time travel supplies

I shouldn’t worry. Now that I know about the trip, I will be monitoring EdwardLost’s progress by repeater scope and will be standing by my Burroughs Libby continua skipper, ready to [del]steal his stuff[/del] rescue him if things go awry.

Tracers might be a good idea, too. To get the point across and make the proper impression—showmanship, y’see.

Nah. Pattern welding is well understood. The prodution of wootz-type steel never stopped. The problem lay in writers using the term Damascus steel to refer to several different things. Poetic license (i.e. enormous exaggeration) in period descriptions of what the weapons could do also contributed.

I wasn’t thinking about setting myself up as a prince or a court wizard; I just want to bum around for a year or so and be able to trade for food, clothes, lodging, transportation, comforts. I’d also like to buy some souvenirs, like an illuminated manuscript or two.

Excellent suggestions. The damascus steel idea is really interesting, though I think they would laugh me out of the court once they realized I don’t know one end of a forge from another. Most of the high-tech knowledge transfer would be beyond my ability to explain, but maybe I could take some drawings of some simple devices. A cotton gin, maybe?

I definitely need some medicines and water purification tablets for myself.

I hadn’t thought enough about protection. The gun might backfire on me (figuratively); it might draw a lot of attention and get me shot full of arrows. I think the taser would be better for quietly subduing bandits - but how long do the batteries last? Maybe I’ll take some mace.

Needles, definitely. I could carry a lot of those, they would be a hit, and they wouldn’t get me burned at the stake. I’ll take some zippos. LED flashlights should be really popular but maybe too risky. Compasses is an excellent idea; they’re lightweight and I bet each one would buy me first-class passage on any ship.

I know salt and pepper were valuable, but would 10lbs or so be worth enough to keep me going for that long?

To pay for the trip you should have gold and silver and copper coins. Coins were valued by weight, not imprint.

And good luck with the Latin - only the educated spoke it, so it won’t get you a room in the inn.

As for Damascus Steel, IIRC, the quality was due to a small adulteration of Vanadium. Good luck explaining that.

For generally earning your way, the best thing you can carry back is knowledge. ‘Simple’ things like the printing press, the Pelton wheel, the use of hot air rather than cold at the forge, all are in the future.

Interesting question. I had been pondering a similar trip myself, to the early 1860s, to influence the American Civil War. The things I was going to bring would be effective in the year 1000, I think:

First off, you can’t bring enough pepper. That should really be all you need. You could also bring:

a map, or globe.
A book explaining the concept of longitude.
a book explaining the nature of disease and germs (a microscope would be helpful with this)
a book explaining the Bessemer steel process.
A book explaining how to make crossbows.

You could set yourself up as healer with a couple bottles of pepto bismol, tylenol, and bactine.

You could considered the greatest chef in the world with a couple bottles of teriyaki marinade, ketchup, and mayonaise.

If you are worried about the whole witchcraft thing, you could always bring information that was learned closer to the time period, perhaps around 1500 or so. They would be less likely to freak out over advances in sailing ships than they would over a remote control car or walkie talkies.

A map of the world would be priceless.

And I can’t see any point to those last two items anyway.

True, but were 20 pounds of gold coins more valuable than 20 pounds of spices, mirrors, or sewing needles back then?

Time Travel Cheat Sheet!

A fun (and informative) read.

Ok, ambitious plans aside the OP just said he was going to vacation in 1000 AD and wanted to know what he could plan to pay for his stay there. (Food, lodgings, protection, soveniers, etc.) He mentioned that he is not wealthy in the present, so what is wanted is a very high ratio of cheap today valuable then.

I skip the miraculous stuff and go with things the locals would readily acccept. Peppercorns or other whole spices are an excellent suggestion, as is good salt, dyes and sewing needles. A few modern steel knives or ax heads would be of far greater quality than almost anything available then, valuable and easy to pass off. (“I got them from a trader who said he got them from the East…”)

If you needed ready money until you could find the right buyer for your stuff, you might consider copper. Look how many things back then sold for a single copper penny (or a half-penny, or a farthing); the value ratio would be favorable.

Spices are good, but you might get further with dyes. A couple pounds of commercial dyes in bright colors would be immensely valuable in parts of the world that deal in textiles. Venice, Genoa, or Rome would be good bets, and your Latin would get you further there. Some good folding knives would certainly sell well, but you couldn’t carry more than a few dozen, which wouldn’t get you a lot of money. Ball point pens would be interesting; I don’t know how well that would trade.

I feel like a few printed texts might go over well, but I can’t think what. I assume we’re specifically trying not to change history here?

You need to take a pistol. Something small, concealable, and reloadable, if such a thing exists. (I’m vague on the details involved in reloading cartridges.) Take a good unarmed self-defense class, and one that covers fighting with knives and swords. Then stay out of fights while you’re there.

Get immunized against everything you can think of, and take a tube of antibiotic ointment too.

Amber was a valuable trade good. Peacock feathers might be a good bet, though the bird was introduced in Europe by the Phoenicians, so they won’t be entirely unknown. Incense was big. Ivory would be valuable, though not easy to purchase now. Chocolate might do nicely too.

this poster

I’d think some spools of thread and skeins of yarn would go over well. Even the shoddiest stuff these days would be fit for a king then.

Seconding or thirding the granular sugar if you intend to hobnob with royalty.

pocket watches

I clearly posted this first. I find it unfair that you used your time travel device to cheat and go back to post this before I did.

From a page on spices put up by McCormick:

I wonder if some simple lenses might go over well. Especially some convex lenses for the monks who produce illuminated manuscripts.

He could probably find a monastery to stay at, though.

No, but it might be similar enough to French or Italian of the era to get by.

How’s your Icelandic/Norse? Here’s somebody who’d definitely be interested in the compasses and maps.

Vikings would probably be interested in the compasses, too. You might be able to get some really nice souvenirs by going along with them, and you wouldn’t have to pay for them…

Bring weed. Lots of weed. Especially if you’re going to a time prior to the discovery of the New World. Make sure you bring seeds, too. Coffee and tobacco would also be a good idea.

Toilet paper, too.