Time Zone Configuration

Oh, that’s EXACTLY what I meant! It was a great day when they finished laying that track so that people didn’t have to cross the Atlantic in covered wagons. :slight_smile:

That map is insane. Could they make it any more complex?

What’s so bad about that? The countries basically fall into four zones, and the only country divided into multiple zones is the Congo. Only three countries (Namibia, Morocco/Western Sahara, Egypt) have DST. The map is unnecessarily complicated by the use of multiple colours for the same time zone. For example, it distinguishes between EET, CAT and SAST, all of which are simply GMT+2.

I checked in to a hotel in Kanab, Utah, and had to catch a shuttle van at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon at 7:00 the next morning.

I still don’t remember how I did it.

Africa is sane compared to Asia. The whole of China is on one time zone. Thousands of miles wide, stretching as far west as the edges of Tibet and Kashgar, it’s GMT+8 all the way. Meanwhile Russia stretches along its northern border at +7 and +9 but skipping the +8.

Due south of China is the vastness of India at GMT +5 1/2 all the way across.

And sandwiched in between them both is little Nepal at GMT +5 3/4. Yes, it is 15 minutes different from its neighbor India, and 2 hours and forty-five minutes different from its neighbor China.

One ex-PM of Thailand wanted to shift the entire country an hour earlier because “Thailand was losing investments since stock traders in HongKong and Singapore, in a hurry to make morning investments, were unable to buy Thai stocks, its stock exchange opening an hour later.” Just shifting the stock market’s opening an hour earlier was not an option – that would force Bangkok’s elite to join the hoi polloi at the morning rush-hour.

The time-change proposal was rejected when the middle-class complained their children would have to wait for schoolbuses in the dark. (There’s still hope though. After that PM fled the country as a criminal fugitive, his sister was elected PM. :smack: )