Tipping Repair People

You conflate tipping and bribery. They are obviously not the same. Please review previous posts and the OP before responding.

I did no such thing. I suggest you review the post that I was responding to, and make your own determination if that is a tip or a bribe. You are the one expressing confusion about the entire concept.

Conflate means to combine ideas into one (i.e. tipping and bribing). You seem to think that tipping is ‘bad’ because someone bribed a cable guy for another line or a waiter for a free steak. What you are missing is the difference between rewarding good, competent service and bribing someone (e.g. a politician) for that persons’s own benefit. I will admit that I don’t really have a problem with the worker getting some extra cash from the customer for getting an extra cable line, or a waiter for giving a customer a free steak. In both cases, that builds customer loyalty and return business. I’m still not sure what your angle is.

I’m sorry that you seem to have chosen to think that. It’s not what I said, it’s not even close to what I’ve said, in fact.

I did not do any sort of conflation whatsoever. That was entirely your own doing with your questions.

Tipping is not bad, if it is in return for good service.

“Tipping” is problematic, when it is actually a bribe to get someone to steal for your benefit.

So, earlier, when you said that bribery was not a good thing, you were incorrect?

If you have someone come to your house and steal from you, would you look forward to that thief’s loyalty and return business?

I’ve been very straightforward in answering the questions that you have asked.

Now that you have pointed out the fact that you have no problem with theft from restaurants or cable companies, I do understand what your angle is, and we will just have to agree to disagree as to whether or not we encourage such forms of corrupt behaviors.

Stealing, bad. Bribery, bad. Tipping the repair/service person, your choice. Restaurant or cable service comping a customer, their choice. Employee keeping money for goods or services, see stealing.

Whose choice?

The owner/manager of the restaurant or the cable company? Or the server/technician who you have paid to give you extra stuff at their employer’s expense?

And which of these statements did you actually mean, as they are mutually exclusive?

Restaurant owner/manager comps customer a steak. Waiter gets a big tip. Same with cable (to cover mistake, bad equipment, etc.). Stealing bad.

Okay, so what does that have to do with the post that I replied to?

We have a system where some service jobs are paid less than minimum wage because it’s assumed customers will make up the difference through tips. The idea that anyone–including repairmen–who performs a service should get tipped for doing their jobs competently is…odd. Do you routinely tip

•the fry guy at the fast food place for adequately cooked potatoes?
•retail sales clerks for helping you find items?
•your dry cleaner staff for cleaning your nominally dirty suit?
•the crew at the quick-lube place for changing your oil?
•your kid’s dance teacher for teaching pas de bourrées that day?

I am not someone who tips much at all. Hey, I’m English. I assume that anyone in a “service job” gets at least the minimum wage. It would not even occur to me to tip a repair person. Many of them are self employed anyway.

The people I do tip are the ones who go the extra mile. The waitress who patiently waits while our 3yo granddaughter decides what flavour ice cream she wants, and then asks for sprinkles when it arrives; the delivery guys who take the doors off the new fridge to get it in the kitchen; the hairdresser who does my ears and eyebrows with no extra charge.