Tips for trip to Washington/Philadelphia in spring

I’d second this suggestion, but it looks like the East side of the mansion will be covered in scaffolding for the next year. That’s the one overlooking the river - the one with the shade in the afternoon/evening. Chilling out there was my favorite memory. You can still see the gardens, tomb, blacksmith, stable, slave quarters, etc. And they have a whole separate modern museum building.

~Max

The web site says the scaffolding will be up through April 2023. So it might be gone bt the time the OP visits.

Controversial opinion: the roast pork is the far superior Philly sandwich compared to the cheesesteak.

Thanks for all the suggestions and warnings! We will have some homework to do, I really appreciate the advice to plan carefully and realistically. The total duration of the trip is limited as I can’t take off more time from work. Indeed it seems advisable to limit our ambitions in just viewing and visiting selected highlights. I won’t go into each individual reply, but I am really grateful for all the information which helps to give a better idea than the general tourist information found around the web and in travel guides.

Thanks also for the kind idea of possibly holding a Dopefest, but it would be too complicated with a jetlagged kid around as well.

Amtrak says that the Philly station does have a luggage deposit, but good point on really making sure. I’m actually considering simply doing Philadelphia as a day trip from NY or so, that might be easier than schlepping the luggage around.

For Washington the Air Space museum sounds like a great idea. The idea of a day trip in the area appeals to me but I’m not sure whether my son is of the same mind. As regards the White House, I think indeed that we’d be better off just looking at it from outside the gate.

I’ll probably need to do some planning with a map to set out a feasible route.

The culinary opinions are also much appreciated.

+1, though I only tried one place.

We’d love to go back, so next time…

We walked through Chinatown and ate at one of the restaurants…it wasn’t anything outstanding—but again, we only tried one place.

A couple other resources:

Phila is a mostly grid city. The train station is at 30th street, the liberty bell at 5 th street. That is 25 blocks and a river apart.

The station is very close to the Ben Franklin parkway, that has Franklin institute, art museum (with rocky stuff), and academy of natural sciences (dinos). This is a good place to stretch your legs and walk around.

If you are in the city for just a few hours I would suggest the tour buses. You will get a good overview of the city and be able to hop off for a steak sandwich. Depending on what time you are ready for a meal, reading terminal is a good spot.

This map gives you an idea of where things are. To get to a tour bus from the train, you could walk or taxi over to the art museum and go from there.

Let me add yet another ‘really make sure’ about anything on the web post Covid, especially if it’s something that would throw a massive monkey wench into the trips. I ran into this a lot on the trip I just returned from.

Only tip I have concerns attire.

I recall a spring trip w/ my young kids to DC and Williamsburg. We anticipated a range of springlike temps - shirts and slacks, light jackets, walking shoes, etc. Our trip may have been somewhat earlier - ISTR the carry blossoms were blooming - at least what we could see of them as we trudged to the Jefferson Memorial thru horizontally blowing snow. Then we drove to Williamsburg, where the temps were well into the 90s. Our spring attire was equally useless in both conditions. :smiley: D

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.

I wouldn’t advise anyone looking for a good shopping experience to visit Georgetown or Old Town Alexandria. Lots of the usual chains, plus a few expensive boutiques. Both areas are soulless compared to the old days. There are probably good restaurants though, and the architecture in Alexandria is worth a look-see.

And that’s what we had - bad clothing for both the heat AND the cold. I guess an economist would say that on average, we hit it out of the park!

Take 'em out to a ball game! My Nationals are in DC!

Great idea. Everyone loves minor league baseball!

Ugh. It’s funny because it’s true. Laugh to keep from crying.