To Suit Up or Not to Suit Up

I don’t know nothin’ from nothin, but I’m suprised at how many people are saying to wear suits to interviews. I mean I believe you, but at my company located in the suburbs (engineered to order material handling machines/cranes, also with a shop to build the stuff) not even senior managment wears ties, let alone suits.

I mean if someone showed up in a suit my initial inclination would be to ask “Are you going to prom later?”

I’ve been thinking about looking for a change lately, and i figured if i get an interview i would probably just wear slacks and a button down shirt (probably no tie), with maybe a swearter over top if its cold. Maybe its time to dust off a suit.

Only places I know of that still make most people wear ties to work are banks/credit unions and law firms. But not even all banks/CUs do that now. For example at my credit union nobody wears a tie. But another local CU they still wear ties.

In software/engineering/biotech people have not worn ties for decades.

I think a lot of this is regional. In DC, we wear suits pretty regularly, and definitely for interviews. On the West Coast, not so much.

do IT folks wear suits in DC? Not even IBM guys wear suits now around here, they were the last holdouts.

Yeah they do. I work in an office full of them. Now, it’s mostly management that wears them, but if you go to the office, you’ll see suits.

In my company they do. Everyone wears suits, no matter what the level. But DC is stupid.

The funniest thing I saw was the low paid copier repair guys wearing a suit while dealing with all kinds of dirty parts and messy toner. But they now wear business casual.

second asking your friend.

Generally speaking, I always wear a suit to an interview. You can easily say “woah, think I overdressed but I always wear a suit. Would you mind if I lose the tie, take off my jacket and roll up my sleeves?”

You can always kinda jokingly lose the duds, but there’s no way you can grow a tie. To say it another way, usually it’s better to over dress rather than to under dress and shows you’re making an effort at least. I’m not saying this is a 100% rule, you need to match the environment, but wearing a suit to an interview is a decent rule of thumb.