Today is the 80th Anniversary of King Kong

Moved by a brief iscussion of “Rockt Horror” elsewhere, from the song “Don’t Dream it/Be it”

Whatever happened to Fay Wray
That delicate satin draped frame

I always chuckle at Denham’s excitement. “I’ll share it with all of you!!” About a dozen of his employees have died horrifying deaths, not to mention countless expendable “natives”, but hell, that was hours ago.

Agreed. No need to undercut an otherwise plausible story. (Relax, I am NOT knocking it. KK has been one of my lifelong pleasures.)

I learned about KK from my Dad. I was seven or eight, sitting in my bunkbed one night in my jammies, and Dad was telling about his life when he’d been my age. He was born in 1925, saw KK at the theater in El Paso when it was THE movie to see. For some reason I’d always remembered him telling about the ticket booth- they had a model brontosaurus* in the window, with a bladder inside it that made the sides heave as if breathing. When that amazing DVD set came out a few years ago I was delighted to hear them mention those “breathing dinosaur” models in the extras disc. Just like Dad had told me about.

• I don’t care