[QUOTE=tomndebb]
It was a threat. If badchad insists on continuing to interrupt threads to attack other posters–even Mod type posters–he will be Warned, then given a time-out, then Banned.
I do not follow badchad around objecting to his attacks on religion or even otherwise criticizing him; he seeks me out to try to bait me into the types of discussions in which I routinely do not engage, and he generally does it by not participating in the topics of the those threads, attempting, instead, to hijack threads on other topics to discuss my beliefs.
He can stop misbehaving on his own or with assistance. I am not going to pursue him around the SDMB or GD, but I will not permit him to be a jerk with impunity.
The thread in question is on the topic of whether schools (in the U.S.) should teach courses about religion. braintree and I have disagreed regarding a specific claim he has made regarding what would need to be taught regarding Christianity. That discussion is a bit of a hijack, although it is related to the topic. My personal beliefs are irrelevant to that discussion. badchad has sporadically attempted to get me to discuss my personal beliefs for over two years. Since I do not discuss such beliefs with anyone else, I see no reason to attempt to discuss them with him–especially since he takes a very simplistic view of religion, ignoring history, literature, anthropology, and even theology when he talks about religion, so he is rather frustrated that I will not play his game. That is his problem, not mine. His being a jerk is a problem for both of us, one that either of us can solve. I would prefer that he choose to solve it himself.
[/QUOTE]
Fair enough arguement, I have been lurking here for a long time, and am getting ready to spend my dosh to join. In that time I have seen you attacked a lot for your beliefs, and you have always maintained an unwillingness to talk about it. My burning question would have to be why? You have taken the time to learn about your chosen religion, you obviously do believe in it, why not spread your knowledge and fight ignorance? OK - so you’re not really gonna change anyone’s mind, but at least you can make us more informed.
Most instances where I see people unwilling to debate is when they are somehow ashamed of their position, or otherwise find it difficult to defend. I am by no means a scholar, or even knowledgable, but what I know of the mainstream religions, all of them are very difficult to defend from anything other than a metaphorical perspective
